Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ichiro HOF?

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Ichiro is a lock for sure. I think the 10+ seasons with 200 or more hits and the fact that he holds the single season record for hits (264) should really help his case.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, he isn't retiring anytime that soon. 3,000 hit is going to happen.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Also, he isn't retiring anytime that soon. 3,000 hit is going to happen.
    If he starts getting 200+ hits again and play until he's 40, then maybe. I wouldn't say that 3,000 hits is a given though. He showed some signs of slowing down last year. I mean, he could only get 184 hits last year...
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    No doubt 3,000 is going to happen. He has stated this as a goal and barring injury he's four years away from it max, only three if can average 190 hits during that time. 42 is old but not for the ball players like him who keep themselves in excellent shape. Besides, even if his play tails off over the next couple years, a dozen teams will sign him simply for the bonus Japanese fanbase that still comes with him. Teams who value Asian TV revenues will probably continue to sign him as long as he wants to play.

3,000 will guarantee a first ballot. Over the last 20 years, guys who reach the big milestones (3k hits, 500 HR, 300 wins) and don't have steroid accusations nearly all get in first ballot. If Craig Biggio gets the nod his first time out, we will probably be able to etch that theory in stone.

I say he's in. First ballot? That depends on who else is up for voting that year.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

Ichiro is a sure fire hall of famer and that's if he retired today. I remember an interview he gave a few years ago where he said he wanted to play deep into his 40s and if he lost his ability to hit he'd try his luck as a relief pitcher before retiring. By the time he's done his numbers will be astronomical if you include his time in Japan, and only legendary if you only count what he did in MLB.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    Yes he will go in, if only to get some Japanese tourists to visit Cooperstown. But cynicism aside he also belongs. Question who playing today is a lock? Mariano, Jeter are tow that jump at me. Chipper and Ichiro should be. Albert. Those come off the top of my head.
    The the active players you mentioned - Mariano, Jeter, Chipper, Ichiro, Pujols are a lock. Maybe Halladay? There will be a few from this era, but it is too early to speculate who that might be.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot believe people are actually doubting this. The guy slowed down for one year (not literally, as the SBs keep coming at a great SB/CS rate still). The guy is going to have 3,000 hits, 1400 runs, 500 steals in three years and he won't be done yet. He has not actually reached his "twilight" of his career.

Ichiro is one Japanese player that HAD to come to the US. He was too good for Japanese baseball.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12