Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Q&A with Jake Mauer (Part II)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 377 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Q&A with Jake Mauer (Part II)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another great read. I often wondered if coaches teach prospects how to adjust to various pitchers or what to expect from certain pitchers or do they expect them to make adjustments on their own? I often hear that scouts & coaches want to see kids make adjustments on their own. This is the only sport where I don't hear about coaches coaching hitters to make adjustments in a game. You see pitching coaches at the mound calming down / talking about adjustments, but you never see an emphasis on coaches in the dugout explaining about adjustments batters need to make. You never even hear coaches discuss postgame how they helped a player make an adjustment from AB to AB? Just curious if you could ask about that some day when you have a chance to interview again. Are players taught how to adjust from AB to AB? Are they taught what mindset they should approach each game with? Etc.? Etc.

In football a quarterback may be taught to take the short routes and march the field because of an opponents objective. Or he may be taught to look deep? In basket ball it may be taught to feed the ball inside for this opponent or launch the 3's? Is baseball taught that way from game to game or is it "Do You" and let's see what happens?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again great read and I think Coach Mauer and his staff seem like the perfect group for these young kids. Go Kernels

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A motorcycle trip to Cedar Rapids might be fun this summer. Ride down, snap a bunch of photos, watch a game, eat a burger, ride back. That would be a good day.

Oof, I just looked at the distance: 277 miles from the Twin Cities. Hefty ride, but I'd still do it. Maybe do a hotel, then ride back next day.
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 04-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Great article - good insight and an enjoyable read!! although I live down in Texas, it sure makes me want to come up to join the Territory Train on the visit to Cedar Rapids. Got a really good team and would be good to see Buxton before he moves on.