Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BA prospect hot sheet April 12 and tyler duffey

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Trying to resist doing an analysis here. Kirby was a great player. But Mauer is a superstar. We also had a kid named Knoblauch, and another guy named Hunter. As a Twins fan, you'd think the guy would appreciate the talent we have developed over the years.
    Might be the age of the poster. I grew up in the 80s and absolutely loved Puckett. I like Mauer and think he's a HOF and a true superstar. At his best, he could be the best player in baseball (like 09). But Puck was Puck. He had his amazing seasons, seemed like the greatest guy in the world (to me) and came up so big in the post season. He's still easily my favorite pro athlete and it's not really close.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    I think people remember "Heroic" moments and that elevates them to another level. Puckett was amazing, but his post-season moments definitely elevates his status to make him a Twins legend or icon.

Mauer arguably has a better resume (definitely more individual hardware), but lacks the "heroic" moments that puts him up there with Puckett.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    There were only 2 Twins questions for this weeks prospect hot sheet chat.

• Thoughts on Corey Dickerson...hitting for high average in AAA. Also, long term projection for Adam Brett Walker?

Matt Eddy: You have to give Rockies LF Corey Dickerson credit: Even in a system that features the most hitter-friendly collection of ballparks around, he goes above and beyond. He went 13-for-27 (.481) with two homers, four doubles and a triple this week, spending most of his time at home at Triple-A Colorado Springs. He just missed the Hot Sheet, and some scouts see him a starting-caliber left fielder based on his power. As to Walker, that's a great start, but for a maxed-out corner guy in Low-A, he's got to keep mashing.

• Reportedly Buxton's walk off grand slam last night went 450 feet. While Buxton only has 6 HRs most of them have been no doubters. What is his future power potential?

Matt Eddy: Substantial. Think of all the five-tool big league center fielders playing right now. He can be one of them in time. You don't need to apologize for Buxton having "just" six homers. He's got 20 extra-bats hits in 38 games as a middle-diamond teen in the Midwest League (.594). That's amazing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    I think people remember "Heroic" moments and that elevates them to another level. Puckett was amazing, but his post-season moments definitely elevates his status to make him a Twins legend or icon.

Mauer arguably has a better resume (definitely more individual hardware), but lacks the "heroic" moments that puts him up there with Puckett.
    True, but it wasn't just 87 or 91 that people my age cared about. Puck was on some gawd awful Twins teams and people still loved him. And as good as Mauer is, I'm not sure he's as good as Puck, although comparing a catcher and center fielder is difficult.

Senior Member All-Star
    For the 7th installment of BA Prospect Hot Sheet the Twins had two make the list. Gibson comes in at 3 after throwing his second complete game in 3 starts. Here is what BA had to say:

"A pitcher throwing a nine-inning shutout is a rare feat in the minors, but Gibson’s done it twice in his last three starts. He has tended to alternate good starts with bad ones so far—his two shutouts sandwiched an outing in which he gave up seven hits in three innings—but overall he’s been solid in his first full season back after Tommy John surgery. His season line includes a 3.25 ERA and 46-to-14 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 52 2/3 Triple-A innings."

The second player is a very familiar name in Sano showing up on In the Team Photo section. This is his 5th time to make the list which is insane. Here is what they had to say:

"El Rey
    had another good week, crushing seven extra-base hits for high Class A Fort Myers, including three home runs. He even stole three bases in three tries, giving him seven for the season. For all the skepticism about Sano’s defense at third, scouts who have seen him this year don’t see him moving any time soon. It’s worth noting that Sano leads all Florida State League third basemen in total chances, putouts and assists and is third among FSL third basemen in range factor"

I'm driving to Dallas this afternoon so I won't be able to post the questions tell tomorrow but I will get them up. Here is a link to the full article:
    Prospect Hot Sheet (May 24): Stetson Allie Makes Pitcher-Hitter Switch Look Easy - BaseballAmerica.com

And here is a link to Jim Shonerd's chat at 3 E.T.
    BaseballAmerica.com: Chat

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't taken a Spanish class in a while, but "The King"? I hadn't heard that before...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I haven't taken a Spanish class in a while, but "The King"? I hadn't heard that before...

Haha, yeah, me either. Hey, when you are a beast like Sano you can have whatever nickname you want.

Senior Member All-Star
    This is up above but I feel it is worth posting twice:

"For all the skepticism about Sano’s defense at third, scouts who have seen him this year don’t see him moving any time soon. It’s worth noting that Sano leads all Florida State League third basemen in total chances, putouts and assists and is third among FSL third basemen in range factor."

Just the idea of Sano playing third in the bigs, even if it is only for a few years, puts a huge smile on my face. Maybe moving him back a few steps has really helped.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Just the idea of Sano playing third in the bigs, even if it is only for a few years, puts a huge smile on my face. Maybe moving him back a few steps has really helped.
    Color me overly optimistic if you have to, but I really think he's going to make his MLB debut at 3B (next year).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep posting these, they are great reads!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 744 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Color me overly optimistic if you have to, but I really think he's going to make his MLB debut at 3B (next year).
    I'm guessing Trevor would have to get hurt or fall on his face pretty bad. He's likely going to get to NB this year and I'd guess start out in Rochester next year. That's pushing him pretty hard.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't think Trevor has fallen on his face yet? Have you seen him getting bunted on repeatedly? Have you seen him try to throw on the run? Have you seen his baserunning decisions? Without much pop, low BA, easy K with runners on against a hard-thrower -- I'm thinking Deibinson Romero sometime this summer. Plouffe just isn't MLB caliber. Sad but true.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    You don't think Trevor has fallen on his face yet? Have you seen him getting bunted on repeatedly? Have you seen him try to throw on the run? Have you seen his baserunning decisions? Without much pop, low BA, easy K with runners on against a hard-thrower -- I'm thinking Deibinson Romero sometime this summer. Plouffe just isn't MLB caliber. Sad but true.
    Plouffe is 9th in OPS so far this year for 3B. So yeah....

Senior Member All-Star
    Plouffe isn't going to block Sano. But maybe they move him to 1b or RH DH thing down the road.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Plouffe won't block Sano but as long as he is doing alright then there won't be an extreme need to rush Sano.

One funny thing in this thread. Somebody thinks Deibinson Romero might replace Trevor Plouffe this summer. Romero plays terrible defense, has had an unspectacular MiLB career and he is only 3 months younger than Plouffe. It's one thing to be critical of Plouffe but it's another to just wildly flail at 'supposed' better alternatives.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    These are great!
    Till I Collapse

"Trying to resist doing an analysis here"

Good impulse.

Senior Member All-Star
    I just got done driving back to Houston from Dallas and I wanted to update this with the questions from the chat this week. Jim Shonerd did the chat and here is what he had to say about the Twins:

Travis Harrison is having a sneaky good season in Cedar Rapids. Can he stick at third?

Jim Shonerd: Sneaky good is a pretty good way to describe it–.280 with 7 long balls. He won’t be a gold glover at third or anything like that, but he’s made enough progress to look like he won’t hurt you there.

Kyle Gibson (Louisville):
    What do I have to do to get called up!! Two complete game shutouts? How many minor leaguers every do that!
    Jim Shonerd: I’d say just stay healthy and keep doing what you’re doing. The Twins aren’t going anywhere and don’t need to rush Gibson, but I expect he could be up at any time once we get into June or July.

Senior Member All-Star
    The 8th BA installment of prospect hot sheet was released today and had only one Twin on it. Making his first appearance, which actually surprised me, is Mr.Rosario, Eddie. Here is what they had to say:

In his first season spent exclusively at second base, Rosario has shown a wide array of skills that could make him a future above-average regular at the position. He’s hitting .328/.367/.508 through 177 at-bats, ranking third in the Florida State League batting race and third with 34 runs scored. Rosario and Miguel Sano are the driving forces behind the Miracle’s FSL-leading .353 on-base and .444 slugging percentages.

Ben Badler is doing a chat at 2 today and like always, I will get all the Twins questions up afterwards. One think of note, no Twin has landed on the Not so Hot section a single time this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    From Ben Badler's chats today:

• What % chance do you think Sano has of sticking at 3B? How about Eddie Rosario at 2B? Thanks!

Ben Badler: Sano has the tools to stay there, he's just such an enormous human being already that you have to wonder how much range he's going to have if he puts on more weight. What's crazy is he's a pretty good athlete for someone his size, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to be able to stay at the position.

• Who has a higher ceiling? Robert Stephenson or Alex Meyer?

Ben Badler: Meyer, but it's not a big gap. There's top of the rotation potential with both.

• Buxton or Sano?

Ben Badler: Buxton. He might be the best prospect in baseball by the end of the year.

• Can J.O. Berrios be a successful MLB starter, or does his height doom him to the bullpen?

Ben Badler: I've never subscribed to the idea that a pitcher isn't tall enough to be a starter. There's no reason his height should limit him to a relief role.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast