Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BA prospect hot sheet April 12 and tyler duffey

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    While Mike Newman works for fangraps and not BA he also had a chat today. Here are the Twin questions:

Alex Meyer’s numbers – go/ao, 2 HR allowed, 63K/54.2IP, are fairly eye popping. If he can get his BB rate down to a more acceptable level, are we looking at a potentially dominating pitcher?

12:53 Mike Newman: The stuff is there for him to be a 2/3 starter, but command/control is always the question. It’s great to dream on pure stuff, but he still needs to refine some. One can’t say a pitcher will dominate until this happens.

Are the Twins hurting or helping Aaron Hicks by keeping him at the ML level?

12:59 Mike Newman: At this point, yes. For the month, he has a .738 OPS. and a .815 OPS in his last ten. There’s really reason to demote him for a miserable April.

Has Buxton’s fast start and demonstration of present baseball skill caused you to revisit your opinion that Buxton will take a while to reach the majors?

1:11 Mike Newman: He’ll take awhile still, but his timetable has definitely accelerated in my mind.

Is Max Scherzer a good comp for Trevor May if everything breaks right and he lives up to his potential? Or am I dreaming…

1:17 Mike Newman: No. Trevor May isn’t anywhere near as good.

Senior Member All-Star
    Due to the draft baseball america released their Prospect Hot sheet one day early. Making his first appearance to the list is Alex Meyers at 9. Here is what they had to say:

No. 9 Alex Meyer, rhp, Twins
    Team:
    Double-A New Britain (Eastern)
    Why He’s Here: 1-0, 1.42, 6 1/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 10 SO

The Scoop: Meyer had a rather pedestrian month of May, giving up at least three earned runs in four of his five starts. On the day the calendar flipped to June, however, he went out and posted the line you see here, fanning a season-high 10 against Bowie. He picked up his first win since April 25 and stands second in the EL in strikeouts with 73 in 61 innings, though he leads the way with 10.8 strikeouts per nine innings.

Full article = click link:

Prospect Hot Sheet (June 6): Xander Bogaert's Big Bat Leads The List - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Due to the draft baseball america released their Prospect Hot sheet one day early. Making his first appearance to the list is Alex Meyers at 9. Here is what they had to say:

No. 9 Alex Meyer, rhp, Twins
    Team:
    Double-A New Britain (Eastern)
    Why Heís Here: 1-0, 1.42, 6 1/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 10 SO

The Scoop: Meyer had a rather pedestrian month of May, giving up at least three earned runs in four of his five starts. On the day the calendar flipped to June, however, he went out and posted the line you see here, fanning a season-high 10 against Bowie. He picked up his first win since April 25 and stands second in the EL in strikeouts with 73 in 61 innings, though he leads the way with 10.8 strikeouts per nine innings.

Full article = click link:

Prospect Hot Sheet (June 6): Xander Bogaert's Big Bat Leads The List - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Good stuff.

I noticed one of my pet peeves in the post above though:

12:53 Mike Newman: The stuff is there for him to be a 2/3 starter, but command/control is always the question. It’s great to dream on pure stuff, but he still needs to refine some. One can’t say a pitcher will dominate until this happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Good stuff.

Meyer will almost surely not be a #3. This is irritating and I wish these "evaluators" would stop grading pitchers this way. Meyer's three likely scenarios are as follows in no particular order. #1/2 starter. Back-end bullpen. Total bust.

#3 pitchers don't generally have high strikeout potential. This is lazy evaluation and I wish it would end.

Senior Member All-Star
    Good stuff.

12:53 Mike Newman: The stuff is there for him to be a 2/3 starter, but command/control is always the question. Itís great to dream on pure stuff, but he still needs to refine some. One canít say a pitcher will dominate until this happens.

Meyer will almost surely not be a #3. This is irritating and I wish these "evaluators" would stop grading pitchers this way. Meyer's three likely scenarios are as follows in no particular order. #1/2 starter. Back-end bullpen. Total bust.

#3 pitchers don't generally have high strikeout potential. This is lazy evaluation and I wish it would end.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Good stuff.

You must have really felt emphatic on that point! Either that or your job requires everything in triplicate.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Trying to resist doing an analysis here. Kirby was a great player. But Mauer is a superstar. We also had a kid named Knoblauch, and another guy named Hunter. As a Twins fan, you'd think the guy would appreciate the talent we have developed over the years.
    Um.....Hunter and Knobber are not even in the same league as Kirby and Maurer -two of the greatest Twins all time. I liked Torri but he isn't in the same class as Kirby and joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123