Fort Myers at Charlotte 5:35 PM
    FTM: Boer (0-0, 15.43) CHA: TBD
    Cedar Rapids at Clinton 4:05 PM Doubleheader

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to jinx anything, but it's looking like the Kernels MAY actually play baseball tonight.

I haven't seen the official notes yet, so I'm not positive of the starting pitchers. The original plan yesterday was to have Hudson Boyd and Mason Melotakis pitch Friday night's double header, with Tyler Duffey going tonight and David Hurlbut on Sunday.

Edit: Looks like Boyd v Anderson in game 1 and Melotaksi v Pike in game 2 tonight.

Also, there's been no official word yet on how/when the Kernels will make up their two rain/snow outs with the Timber Rattlers this week. Here's what I've kind of pieced together:

IF the Kernels get doubleheaders in with Clinton Saturday and Sunday, they would NOT be able to play another doubleheader Monday (can't play 3 doubleheaders in 3 straight days). In addition. They would only be able to make up ONE of the two games with Wisconsin (rules limit teams to no more than 3 doubleheaders in a 7-day period). I would guess they'd schedule the doubleheader Tuesday.

SO...

Tonight's dh with Clinton looks pretty certain. Sunday's forecast is a bit more iffy (warmer temps but possible thunderstorms). If they don't play Sunday (or only get one game in), they could schedule two doubleheaders among the three dates they have scheduled with the Timber Rattlers Mon-Wed.

Then again, the forecast for Cedar Rapids Tuesday and Wednesday isn't exactly encouraging, either.
    Last edited by SD Buhr; 04-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

From looking at the schedule, both the Kernels and Rattlers (Wisconsin) have off on May 7th and 21st. May 7th could be the date, Kernels are in South Bend on the 6th then at Quad Cities (day trip for Kernels) on the 8th. They may swing through and play 2 on way home. the 21st would be tough on Rattlers as they play at Clinton IA, have a day off than play at Quad Cities IA.

I know that the MWL will want to make them up before the 1st half is over, but I don't know if they will make them play it at Cedar Rapids this week.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Goodrum briefly pushed his average over .300 before going hitless in the 2nd game.

Buxton has dropped to .423 with a merely mortal day picking up a hit and 2 BB's in the DH (8 PA's).

Melatokis cruised through 5 innings with 7K and 1 BB. Boyd did alright in the 1st game - 5 IP, 6K's and 1 BB but 3 ER.

Rochester only managed 6 H's in their DH and Slama got rocked in a tie game. Colabello managed another HR (#4). He's kind of the feel good story for the year.

Vargas with a HR and Rosario with his usual pair of hits.

Meyer with an alright game going 5 IP with 6 K's, 2 BB's and 2 ER's. 89 pitches and 56 strikes.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Angel Morales hitting? He hasn't hit for years, maybe trying to resurrect his career.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Angel Morales hitting? He hasn't hit for years, maybe trying to resurrect his career.
    As the saying goes, hitting is contagious and when you have Sano, Rosario, and Vargas for teammates it's hard not to catch it.