Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Marathon bombing

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    As you say these are vague parameters. Known guilt? That phrase bothers me.

It's about human rights; just because a heinous crime has been committed doesn't mean that the suspected individual is no longer human. Either you believe in habeas corpus or you don't. Granting exceptions defeats the whole idea.

We care about protecting the rights of suspected murderers and suspected criminals. You're presuming guilt, and our whole system of justice is built upon the opposite assertion.

What's the old maxim, if you sacrifice liberty in the name of security, you are left with...
    in the case of terrorism or other mass murders I don't believe in waiting for a trial if there are further lives in risk. Now that presumes having significant evidence of ties to more attacks and reason to believe there is time sensitive risk. Of course this is vague, it's hard to presume the depths to which a terrorist may go but I won't preclude the use of extreme measures. The lives of innocents matter much more than someone who has already checked out of our social contract.

I'm not sacrificing the liberties of anyone innocent for security, I'm just not waiting for a token trial while people die if we have strong reason to believe they might. You want to run some one hour farce trial to ease your conscience - be my guest, but I don't see the point. We already grant such exceptions in war so lets get off that idea from the start.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 04-22-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    I just don't think this is a case of imminent threat. Such cases may arise, but people seemed pretty quick to apply that exception to liberty here.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I just don't think this is a case of imminent threat. Such cases may arise, but people seemed pretty quick to apply that exception to liberty here.
    i would agree about this one - I was speaking more generally. I think the administration was right not to treat him as an enemy combatant. Sorry if I dragged this more into general dialogue but I thought that was how we were heading.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    i would agree about this one - I was speaking more generally. I think the administration was right not to treat him as an enemy combatant. Sorry if I dragged this more into general dialogue but I thought that was how we were heading.
    No worries. While I don't necessarily believe in the effectiveness of torture, imminent threat situations our sense of decency should probably fall to the side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12