Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report: Miracle Stay Perfect

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another excellent report.

The poor start in Rochester is worrysome. I wonder if the contract will be renewed there if the team keeps losing.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not worrisome from the Twins standpoint. They aren't winning, but development of the few prospects that are on the roster is really all that matters. Arcia, Benson, Gibson. How are they developing? That's what matters. It would sure be nice for the city for the team to win and that's why they sign the veterans, but from a Twins fan perspective, the 2-9 start doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's not worrisome from the Twins standpoint. They aren't winning, but development of the few prospects that are on the roster is really all that matters. Arcia, Benson, Gibson. How are they developing? That's what matters. It would sure be nice for the city for the team to win and that's why they sign the veterans, but from a Twins fan perspective, the 2-9 start doesn't bother me at all.
    A major reason Rochester dumped Baltimore after decades was the poor quality of teams the Orioles were giving them in the late 90s and turning the decade. The Twins were consistent winners at the AAA level at the time.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    A major reason Rochester dumped Baltimore after decades was the poor quality of teams the Orioles were giving them in the late 90s and turning the decade. The Twins were consistent winners at the AAA level at the time.
    Good riddance.

The Twins do not need Rochester (a town that does not support the major league team) and I wish they switched affiliations last off-season. Rochester is unique among the Twins' affiliate cities (yes, including New Britain) in that the natives have no interest in the big league club. The Twins need to develop their players and Rochester is more of a reserve place than a development place. There are only a handful of players 26 and under on the roster and 2 of them (Hendriks and Robertson) started with the Twins. Not too many "prospects" either. The one thing that it is somewhat different this season vs. some of the past seasons (and I suspect the change in Director of MiLB had a lot to do with this) is that the non-prospects there are in their late 20s vs their 30s and Rochester is right about league average as far as age goes. And it is 2 early. They have only 3 players (Arcia, Thomas, Colabello) with OPS over .706; and if you exclude Boggs (who is the one with that OPS) the next best is in the .550s. Add a team ERA close to 7 and what do you expect? The spring has been too cold this year in the Northeast and I bet all is directly related to that. They will be ok, esp in the second half, when prospects move up from New Britain to make space for the phenoms of Fort Myers.

Fort Myers is doing great this season and I hope that by mid-year 5-6 of the players there are in New Britain. The biggest surprises this year for me are Kyle Knudson and Angel Morales (who is probably in his last chance, even though he is just at league average age - 23)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've noticed that Angel Morales is doing pretty well so far.
    He was high on most prospect lists what, two years ago? Three?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Stuifbergen was really good last night. He just kept putting zero's up on the board in a tight game. We finally took the lead, and managed to hang on, and padded it in the 8th on a line drive triple by Goncalves that just got over the centerfielders glove by a foot.

The lone error of course was by Sano. The batter laid down a nice bunt down the 3rd base line and Sano called off the pitcher, and made a barehanded pickup. He then threw 6 feet inside the bag and the ball rolled down the right field line. LOL, why not? The very next pitch the batter bunted again in nearly the same exact spot. Same play but with a strike to 1st this time. The runner taking 3rd and scoring on a sac fly.

The Miracle lost the bunting competition tonight though. Wickens and Morales both failed on 2 attempts each, but Wickens did deliver an rbi single. Today's game will be hot, about 90 degrees.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    It's not worrisome that there are no prospects there for pitchers other than Gibson? I think that's worrisome, ymmv. The have no infielders there (maybe a backup catcher). They have two OFers. That's it. You listed them, really. I'm not sure how that is not worrisome. Plus, and I know some people don't agree, but fans pay for the game they are going to, not some nebulous parent club (in Rochester's case), or a future that might never come (here in MN).

Here is hoping the prospects up and down the system continue to make progress.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It's not worrisome that there are no prospects there for pitchers other than Gibson? I think that's worrisome, ymmv. The have no infielders there (maybe a backup catcher). They have two OFers. That's it. You listed them, really. I'm not sure how that is not worrisome. Plus, and I know some people don't agree, but fans pay for the game they are going to, not some nebulous parent club (in Rochester's case), or a future that might never come (here in MN).

Here is hoping the prospects up and down the system continue to make progress.
    I'm just saying that that win-loss record isn't worrisome. I do agree that the lack of prospects there is worrisome, though I think we knew that. There aren't a lot of prospects in New Britain either, frankly. The Twins hope and best prospects are in those lower levels. Arcia, Meyer, Hicks, Benson, May - those are the guys in the upper levels.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I've noticed that Angel Morales is doing pretty well so far.
    He was high on most prospect lists what, two years ago? Three?
    My history of pre-season Top 30s have included Angel Morales, and they serve as a precautionary tale in my mind when guys put up tremendous numbers in Elizabethton, even at a young age.

Pre-2009 -> #3
    Pre-2010 -> #4
    Pre-2011 -> #7
    Pre-2012 -> #14
    Pre-2013 -> Not Ranked

That said, he is still young. There's no questioning his athleticism and even most of his tools. But he does have to put up some numbers this year. He can become a minor league free agent after the season. it is a big year for him.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Fort Myers is doing great this season and I hope that by mid-year 5-6 of the players there are in New Britain. The biggest surprises this year for me are Kyle Knudson and Angel Morales (who is probably in his last chance, even though he is just at league average age - 23)
    Knudson is older than the league average. He went to the U of MN for four years before the Twins drafted him. However, he is healthy this season for the first time since the Twins drafted him. Upside is a backup catcher, so I'm not worried about the age at all.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Fair enough. For the Twins, it probably isn't an issue. For Rochester, I think it is an issue. And, it might be an issue for finding a new affiliate if they move on....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I wouldn't think that the Twins would have too much trouble finding a new AAA affiliate. While their recent history has been poor, I would think a potential affiliate would be excited about the number of quality prospects (and some very noteworthy prospects) the Twins have in the lower levels that should be spending some time in AAA in the not too distant future.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 90 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe there is historically very little movement of AAA affiliations. Last fall, I think it essentially came down to the Twins either getting Rochester to sign on for 2 more years or ending up in Las Vegas, which, by most accounts, is just about the last place you want as your AAA affiliate. Rochester re-signed with the Twins not so much because they love being a Twins affiliate, but because they, too, had no better options.

Those running minor league teams understand their roles as developers of talent. But they also have to at least break even financially and that means they need a product to market to fans. So, yes, fielding a competitive team matters. It also wouldn't hurt to have players in the minors become accustomed to winning so they aren't satisfied with less when they reach Minnesota.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was nice to see Dalton Hicks continue his extra base hit streak. He is seeing every pitch well this short season. He has always walked alot and shown excellent plate discipline. When he strikes out - he strikes out on true strikes swinging.

It was nice to see Adam Brett Walker II hit his first HR of the season. I heard it was on a 95 MPH fastball off batters eye. Nice to see. Walker has been hitting the ball much better this short season (contact), but just at people. Strike out rate down to 18% so far. Three hard hits yesterday, but 2 at CFer and one over the fence. When Kepler shows up - Kernels should only increase their power numbers. Can't wiat.

I am chalking yesterday's loss up to 5 games in 48 hours. Hopefully they re-charge their motors for todays double header, and get a sweep out of it. Defense has to pick up and mental focus must improve young Kernels.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fair enough. For the Twins, it probably isn't an issue. For Rochester, I think it is an issue. And, it might be an issue for finding a new affiliate if they move on....
    There would be no problem finding an affiliate at this point. Obviously the contract with Rochester goes out a couple of years anyway, but the Twins prospects are eventually going to get there.

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    There would be no problem finding an affiliate at this point. Obviously the contract with Rochester goes out a couple of years anyway, but the Twins prospects are eventually going to get there.
    I am surprised at how cavalier you are regarding the poor AAA club and the poor roster the Twins cconstructed. It's really a terrible team. I think the contract ends in 2014. I hope the Twins don't end up in the pacific coast league. I like Rochester. The players get used to playing in the cold, the park is neutral and the competition is tough.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Wings were competitive last year and their roster was far worse than it is this year. Their pitching staff will probably be some combination of Gibson, Hendriks, De Vries, Deduno, Walters and (eventually) May (and other AAAA-types), which will be a more than respectable AAA staff. Their lineup consists mostly of journeymen, but so do most other AAA teams. I think they'll be a .500 team.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    No reason to get worked up about two weeks of AAA performance, especially minus several pitchers (Deduno, DeVries/Hernandez, Hendriks, Perez, Harden, Oliveros, Guerra, Blackburn).

The upper minors might be 8-14 right now, but the lower minors are 18-3. Rochester ain't going nowhere.