Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Sano

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsforever View Post
    Today, Baseball Hot Corner posted an article about David Price and how the Twins could lure them into trading Price for Sano and Buxton. I'd really hate to see that happen, because I feel like all offseason it's been, "Don't worry, we have these awesome prospects coming up!" and if we trade them, we'll be let down. That's just my opinion. I'm not against Price at all, he's a great pitcher (and we need decent pitchers, since *cough cough* Worley hasn't been working out that well), but I don't like the idea of building towards the future only to have them be traded away.

Any thoughts on this? I guess this is just what I'm thinking currently.
    I don't think the Rays even call a meeting on that. Hell, if the secretary fields the call, she should know to say yes and fax the documents to the league office.

Those two will be top 5 prospects on every list this coming offseason and David Price is getting ready to get PAID. (And he's kind of stunk this year)

Thanks for keeping the thread going this week, guys - my grandfather passed, so I've haven't been able to get on here.

Down on the Farm listed the 5 top prospects, with Sano as #1. The article is here. Buxton is also listed, along with Alex Meyer, Kyle Gibson, and Oswaldo Arcia.

I honestly don't see the Price thing working out - I think it's just some smoke that was being blown around last week.

Sano has 10 homers in 30 games, and is currently batting .378. I missed out if he missed some games this week - my apologies.

ALSO - it is his BIRTHDAY today, so wish him a good one on twitter @SanoMiguel. He is the big 2-0 today. Happy Birthday, Miguel!

I'm off to freeze at the game tonight - I'm hoping I'll be able to stay on top of things a bit better next week. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From Jim Callis' chat today:

• Miguel Sano (Fort Myers, FL): Do I really have a chance to play 3B at the major league level, or am I destined for 1B or the OF?

Jim Callis: Destined to move, but with your power it won't matter.

• If the season ended today .. Who is your MILB player of the year ?

Jim Callis: Miguel Sano.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    I don't think the Rays even call a meeting on that. Hell, if the secretary fields the call, she should know to say yes and fax the documents to the league office.

Those two will be top 5 prospects on every list this coming offseason and David Price is getting ready to get PAID. (And he's kind of stunk this year)
    According to Ryan in a spring training interview, the Rays asked for Sano straight up for Shields. Ryan turned them down flat. Based on that, I'm not surprised they'd ask for Sano and Buxton for Price. I just can't imagine the Twins doing that.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Tonight, Miguel had an RBI triple among his multi-RBI, multi-hit night. Miracle are 8-0 against the Stone Crabs.

I found a few more links on the sequel documentary "The Miguel Sano Story". They're a couple of weeks old, but still relevant.

ESPN story here.

Rantsports here.

Batting average is at .362 (week ending 5/18). He's leading the FSL with 11 homeruns.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsforever View Post
    Tonight, Miguel had an RBI triple among his multi-RBI, multi-hit night. Miracle are 8-0 against the Stone Crabs.

I found a few more links on the sequel documentary "The Miguel Sano Story". They're a couple of weeks old, but still relevant.

ESPN story here.

Rantsports here.

Batting average is at .362 (week ending 5/18). He's leading the FSL with 11 homeruns.
    Hes gonna be an XBH, RBI and HR machine among the many things he will be doing well.

A little delayed, but I am now on summer vacation (woohoo!) so I will be able to stay a little more up to date here. Sano's batting average is at .349 and he hit homers in each of the games against Lakeland last week. Impressive. He is also leading high-A with 13 home runs so far. Most impressive. (Please tell me you guys got the Star Wars references...)

I did find this link for Rant Sports, and I'm not sure I fully agree with it. While yes, it would not cause any harm for Sano to have taken Plouffe's spot for the week, I still feel apprehensive since he hasn't played above high-A ball. I know he's totally ripping it up with the Miracle this year and maybe he IS ready, but I feel like promoting him would be hasty. Of course, if he rips it up while in the majors, that would be awesome. But I guess I worry he could go into a rut like Aaron Hicks or other prospects who have come up and not done well. Plus he's still young, so we have plenty of time to see him come up in the next year or two. I guess I want to see him play at least at the Double-A level before the season is over. Maybe a September call up could be interesting, and hopefully boost fan morale a little bit.

Here's an article from MLB Trade Rumors, saying how the organization has a strong start for the minor leagues. I guess I would like to see Buxton and Sano as potential candidates for a September call up, but nothing sooner. I know the Twins are back in the AL Central basement with little hopes to get out this year and I know some fans really want these guys up here NOW, but I say: Let's be patient. They will get their chance.

I guess with the Twins stinking, I should listen to the Miracle broadcasts more.

Happy June to you all. Twins have won the last two games against the Mariners, so there's some positivity for you.

Off day for Miguel Sano today - Seth Stohs tweeted about it early https://twitter.com/SethTweets/statu...93987325440001

I think some people were upset he was sitting? Hey, come on, even our superstars need rest. Justin Morneau had the flu today yesterday (or today too, my days are mixed together right now). It happens. (I also hope that embedded right.)

Let's look at some numbers, shall we?

According to Baseball-Reference (my current best friend on stats), here's what we've got:

Batting average: .337
    OBP: .431
    In 52 games, he has had 190 at bats and still hanging out with 13 homeruns. Seems like he's cooled a bit, but that's okay, we're heading into the heart of the season here.

Charley Walters had a great article with the Pioneer Press from a couple days ago asking Terry Ryan about Buxton and Sano. It seems like people REALLY want these guys to come up. I stand by what I said last week - give it time. and that's what TR said, too. No time frame on these guys - be patient, Twins fans!! Enjoy games like today and yesterday! Pretend we don't have to play Detroit or the Yankees or so on.

Michael Rand (@RandBall on the twitter machine) posted a blog entry on the Star Tribune site about Buxton being the no. 2 prospect on ESPN.com and Sano being no. 6. Buxton moves up from being no. 22 when the season started to no. 2 and Sano moves from 11 to 6. I haven't been following Buxton TOO much here (since Sano is my guy) but I know he's been tearing it up in Cedar Rapids. I'm tempted to go down and see a game (it's only 5 hours away, you know...)

To all the impatient fans out there who want these guys up yesterday, to you I say: be patient. We all survived the huge slump that was the late 90's. We can do it again. Hang in there!

Per Twitter, Miguel Sano has been promoted to AA New Britain Rock Cats. He hit home runs 15 and 16 this weekend, with his BA at .330.

Final Line at A Ball .330/.424/.655 in 200 Plus At Bats. By far the Best Offensive Player in the Florida State League. I don't expect similar numbers at New Britain due mostly to BABIP Regression. Seems to be about 50/50 whether his 21st Birthday will be spent with the Big League Club.

He's seemed to have cooled down a bit since arriving in New Britain - but he has hit two homeruns recently, and his batting average is at .150. I'm not expecting him to be as hot as he was in the FSL, but it's still early yet.

Sano and Buxton are also headed to the futures All-Star game. John Swol has an interesting article here with notes on Sano, Buxton, and other Twins prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How fast is Sano? The profile on the Twins website lists his speed as a 3, but I see he has 9 stolen bases and 4 triples so far this year. I'm just a little confused on how he could do that while being a slow runner.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    How fast is Sano? The profile on the Twins website lists his speed as a 3, but I see he has 9 stolen bases and 4 triples so far this year. I'm just a little confused on how he could do that while being a slow runner.
    He hits the ball so hard that he has time to walk to third while the outfielders are taking cover. When at first base he glares at the catcher until the catcher accedes second base.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    He's far from slow. Watch some videos of him, even his home run trots are fast. For a man his size, he's moves very quickly. Jason Parks rated his running ability as a 5+.

Jason Parks@ProfessorParks16h
    Sano is a much better athlete than people realize; run is 5+; glove will be at least 5; arm is 7; raw 8; hit 5; legit instincts as well

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    is Sano injuried? I see he was pinch hit for yesterday and didn't play today. Maybe its just giving him time to rest and adjust, but I thought I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    is Sano injuried? I see he was pinch hit for yesterday and didn't play today. Maybe its just giving him time to rest and adjust, but I thought I would ask.
    Matt Straub from the New Britain Herald reported that it was just a day off.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Per Ben Badler

Miguel Sano, 3b, Twins: Sano probably won’t catch George Springer for the minor league lead, but his two home runs yesterday for Double-A New Britain brought him to 33 on the season, tying him for third in the minors with Rangers third baseman Joey Gallo and placing him one behind Cubs shortstop Javier Baez. Given the way Sano has handled the Eastern League, he’s probably going to start next year in Triple-A, with a big league callup before the all-star break certainly in the mix.
    Prospect Notebook: Jonathan Gray Looks Electric For Rockies - BaseballAmerica.com
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    2014 Prospect Handbook- Miguel Sano.jpg

Guess who made the cover of the 2014 Baseball America Prospect Handbook!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    2014 Prospect Handbook- Miguel Sano.jpg

Guess who made the cover of the 2014 Baseball America Prospect Handbook!
    Looks like he is posing after he hit one of those monster shots out of the park. Shame on you Miguel we like to move runners station to station and put together 3 hits to score a run. Why does he have to be so greedy and do it with just one swing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast