Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Meyer

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    I asked a question previously on a Jason Parks chat what he thought of Alex Meyer and he responded by saying something about how he saw him as a late-inning reliever so that is what I was referring to.
    Thanks for the clarification. Feel free add any info you hear/read about Meyer to this thread.

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer had his 10th start of the season on Memorial Day, and again put in a sub-par performance. He lasted only 5 innings and gave up 4 runs in those innings.

The good:
    5 strikeouts in 5 innings.
    Only 2 hits allowed.

The bad:
    4 walks.
    95 pitches in only 5 innings.
    1 home run allowed.

The ugly:
    Meyer started the game off with 3 straight walks, and allowed a run to score on a wild pitch. His ERA is creeping awfully close to 4.00, and his BB/9 is now over 4.

Season stats:
    Meyer's season stats (in 10 starts):
    44.2 IP, 24 ER, 51 H, 25 BB, 63 SO, 2 HR
    3.95 ERA, 2.80 FIP 1.39 WHIP
    10.4 K/9, 4.1 BB/9

Senior Member Double-A
    Mention of Meyer during Mike Newman's chat on Fangraphs:

12:51 Comment From Dan
    Alex Meyer’s numbers – go/ao, 2 HR allowed, 63K/54.2IP, are fairly eye popping. If he can get his BB rate down to a more acceptable level, are we looking at a potentially dominating pitcher?

12:53 Mike Newman: The stuff is there for him to be a 2/3 starter, but command/control is always the question. It’s great to dream on pure stuff, but he still needs to refine some. One can’t say a pitcher will dominate until this happens.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Alex Meyer had his 10th start of the season on Memorial Day, and again put in a sub-par performance. He lasted only 5 innings and gave up 4 runs in those innings.

The good:
    5 strikeouts in 5 innings.
    Only 2 hits allowed.

The bad:
    4 walks.
    95 pitches in only 5 innings.
    1 home run allowed.

The ugly:
    Meyer started the game off with 3 straight walks, and allowed a run to score on a wild pitch. His ERA is creeping awfully close to 4.00, and his BB/9 is now over 4.

Season stats:
    Meyer's season stats (in 10 starts):
    44.2 IP, 24 ER, 51 H, 25 BB, 63 SO, 2 HR
    3.95 ERA, 2.80 FIP 1.39 WHIP
    10.4 K/9, 4.1 BB/9

This is a bit of an over-reaction bordering on needless panic.

In point of fact, he has actually pitched 54.2 innings, not 44.2. Further, his FIP still resides at 2.80- which is good for 5th in the Eastern League- his ridiculously good K/9 rate is also ranked 5th in the EL. And his current BABIP is very high relative to his career number (.325) , indicating a touch of bad luck and a somewhat porous New Britain defense- virtually bereft of ML prospects (Cats defense ranks 10th in the 12-team league). Are EL power hitters squaring up on him? No way, he has a very impressive HR/9 of 0.33- which ranks 4th in the EL.

It can only be said that he has had 3 poor outings in his 10 starts; let's be a little patient while he struggles at times, a 6'9" pitcher with his live arm is going to have growing pains.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-01-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
    Thanks, this is encouraging.

Senior Member Double-A
    As the calendar flipped over into June, Meyer had his best start of the season. Crediting a mechanical change, he dominated everyone in the Bowie Baysox lineup (well, everyone except Brandon Waring). Meyer pitched 6 1/3 innings, and punched out 10 Baysox batters, with only 2 walks and 2 hits allowed.

The great:
    Meyer faced 22 batters and struck out 10 - 45% of the plate appearances ended in a K.

The good:
    Only two walks and two hits allowed. (Both hits and a walk were to Brandon Waring)

The bad:
    He allowed a home run, his 3rd of the season.

Season stats:
    Meyer's season stats (in 11 starts):
    61 IP, 25 ER, 53 H, 27 BB, 73 SO, 3 HR
    3.69 ERA, 2.82 FIP 1.31 WHIP
    10.77 K/9, 3.98 BB/9

Meyer's ranking in the Eastern League:
    SO - 2nd (74)
    K/9 - 2nd (10.77)
    FIP - 4th (2.82)
    K% - 6th (27.7%)
    Batting Average Against - 8th (.225)

To expand on Jokin's comment about batters squaring up the ball against Meyer, I dug through the game logs and counted only 12 extra base hits against him so far this season, with the following breakdown:
    2B - 8
    3B - 1
    HR - 3
    Using this, I was able to determine that batters have the following triple-slash against Meyer:
    .225/.307/.308
    This gives them an OPS of about .615.

Senior Member Double-A
    Bad news for Alex Meyer.

According to Mike Berardino, Meyer has been put on the disabled list due to a sore shoulder. Hopefully it is nothing major and a few extra days of rest will be sufficient to get him back in good help. In addition, I'm sure the Twins are being extra cautious with one of their best pitching prospect. On the other hand, shoulder injuries are always scary, so there is plenty to worry about.

Senior Member Double-A
    As far as I have heard, there is no updates on when Meyer will be reactivated after his shoulder soreness. In a piece of good (and old) news, his MRI came back clean: Alex Meyer's MRI clean; 'I don't think anybody thought it was serious' - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins If anyone has heard any updates on Meyer's injury, please post them.

In other news, many prospect following sites are going to be releasing updated top-100ish lists based on the first half of the season and the draft. The first updated version I've seen is from Baseball Prospectus: Baseball Prospectus | Prospects Will Break Your Heart: The Mid-Season Top 50 Prospects

#44 RHP Alex Meyer (Twins)
    Placement on Pre-Season 101: #88
    Current MiLB Level/Affiliate: Double-A New Britain
    Prospect Trajectory: Up; most likely still an underrated prospect; questions about ultimate role add risk to a higher ranking; has no. 2 starter upside and a floor of a late-innings bullpen arm; strong second half and improved command could lead to huge offseason jump up the list.
    Major League ETA: 2014

This is very interesting, as back in May another scout for this site released a report of Meyer that definitely seemed to suggest that Meyer was destined for the bullpen. This report seems to be much more bullish on Meyer staying in the rotation.

Overall, the Twins were well represented, with 3 on the top-50 list and 2 more in the 'just missed' list.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I keep looking at the Twins SP prospects and am now im thinking they dont really have as much as we thought we did. The top guys were Meyer, Gibson, Berrios and now Stewart. Meyer is super tall and could have alot of complications with that and now hes having injury problems, some are projecting him as a RP. Gibson is 25 and has had TJ so we have no clue how good hes gonna be, Gleeman and the Geek were compairing him to Diamond and Baker. I think thats ridiculous and his cieling is alot higher. Berrios is still in low A but hes been pretty good lately. Stewart still has to play before we can say anything. I just feel like we dont have as much as we thought we did. Stewart is the only potential Ace and I have heard he doesnt even profile as an ace. Idk what to think, cant wait to see Gibson pitch on SAT.

Senior Member Double-A
    There have been some discussion about Meyer's status, though there doesn't seem to be anything concrete about his return. This is a good summation from a separate Twins Daily article:

And yet, three weeks later, Meyer still has not pitched competitively. It doesn't look like he's especially close to doing so. Over the weekend, New Britain manager Jeff Smith had
    this to say about the righty: "Hopefully by the end of the season, really just later in the season, he'll be able to pitch in some games." Matt Straub, who covers the Rock Cats for the New Britain Herald, inferred that to mean Meyer would be out for at least the entire month of July.
    It sounds like he is currently in Florida and may begin a throwing program soon.

Senior Member Double-A
    I haven't heard any updates on Meyer's injury. However, he was ranked in Baseball America's Midseason top-50.

32 Alex Meyer rhp Twins
    His acquisition helped fill Twins’ most desperate need–nearly big league ready power pitching.

Hopefully he can get back on the mound soon and continue his development.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 248 Times in 141 Posts
    Tweet from LEN:

https://twitter.com/lavelleneal/stat...60767236833280

Expects him back in NB soon. Hope so.

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer is still shut down, so there haven't been any performance updates in the past few weeks. However, there was an blurb from Scott Boras (Meyer's agent) saying that he has no concerns about the injury or the Twins treatment program. Link here. He also expects Meyer to pitch again before the end of the year.

All of the major mid-season Prospect rankings have now been released, and here is the roundup for Meyer:

Baseball America: #32
    Keith Law: #38
    John Sickels: #51
    Baseball Prospectus: #44
    Fangraphs: #36

None of them expressed any major concern about his injury.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's an average of 40.2. Pretty good!

Senior Member Double-A
    Meyer finally took the mound again this season, this time for the Ft. Myers Twins in the Gulf Coast League. He faced 9 batters and recorded 5 strikeouts, but gave up a walk and 3 hits before reaching his pitch count limit.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Meyer finally took the mound again this season, this time for the Ft. Myers Twins in the Gulf Coast League. He faced 9 batters and recorded 5 strikeouts, but gave up a walk and 3 hits before reaching his pitch count limit.
    I'll take it. Gotta love a 27.0 K/9 rate.

I wonder how the Twins are going to view Alex Meyer heading into next season. Will he be considered a legitimate contender for an MLB rotation spot? He will be 24, and almost certainly the most talented pitcher in camp. Then again, he's probably going to finish this season with under 100 innings pitched, and it seems unlikely he'll get any experience in Triple-A.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'll take it. Gotta love a 27.0 K/9 rate.

I wonder how the Twins are going to view Alex Meyer heading into next season. Will he be considered a legitimate contender for an MLB rotation spot? He will be 24, and almost certainly the most talented pitcher in camp. Then again, he's probably going to finish this season with under 100 innings pitched, and it seems unlikely he'll get any experience in Triple-A.
    That's a great question. He may not even make it back to AA for any meaningful time. Tough to imagine that half a season at AA in 2013 is sufficient for the Twins to think he's ready to compete in March of 2014 for the starting rotation.

But you never know.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

It's possible he could pitch in AAA when the wings make the playoffs, they'll need some pitching.

It appears most likely that Meyer and May both start next year in the AAA rotation, with both getting a legitimate chance at cracking the majors as early as opening day. I think this is the best option for both of them, with the best scenario being they both prove they are ready and make it to the Twins ASAP. I don't think Meyer pitches past AA this year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AFL for Meyer in order to build up some more innings. I bet they just start him at AAA and wait and see next year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast