Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training - Game 29 - 3/29 - vs Pittsburgh

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I was just responding to a past comment. The Twins play in a publicly financed Stadium, anybody has a right to comment. Below is the source.
    The Business Of Baseball

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Burton bounces back with flyout/groundout/flyout in 1-2-3 fifth.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Angel Morales double. Kids having a fun day.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Cap'n Piranah,

I'm getting sick of all these people who just accept everything the Twins do and think it's the greatest thing since life's bread. Think for yourself. Oh and by the way what would happen if this was NY, LA. Boston, or Phily? Maybe you should befriend Dick Bremer because you think alike, you talk alike, ect, ect, ect.......
    I don't just accept everything the Twins do, I just wait for games that matter before making snap judgments, and try to have some sort of rationale behind my reasoning, rather than pure emotion. You also need to understand this is not NY, LA, Boston or Philly, and never will be. If you would like to see a franchise run like one of those franchises is, I would suggest you become a fan of one of those franchises, rather than vainly hoping that a Twins team with only a percentage of the resources will go toe-to-toe with the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Phillies of the world. You might also want to try being positive about things from time to time, it tends to make things a lot more fun, and life a lot more bearable.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Last year, the Pohlads made 16 million dollars profit on the team and the year before they made 27million. Last year the Twins sold more tickets then 26 other teams. That is why some of the fans expect a little more this year.
    If you look at the notes in Forbes, that "profit" doesn't include taxes, interest, depreciation, or amortization. They have other expenses that come out of that "profit", all of it doesn't wind up in their pockets.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was just responding to a past comment. The Twins play in a publicly financed Stadium, anybody has a right to comment. Below is the source.
    The Business Of Baseball
    In looking at the list, you failed to mention that the 16.6m number you referenced is not profit, merely operating income. That means that 16.6m number is BEFORE taxes, interest, depreciation and amortization. The Pohlads came nowhere close to pocketing 16m last year.

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    The Business Of Baseball
    Thanks for the article link. Pretty interesting stuff. Not exactly the point I think you were trying to make, but interesting to see some of the financial numbers.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have had two seven-run innings two games in a row. Finally (even though it is ST) the offense revives. They have also had a nice homerun explosion, three by Morneau, 1 by Dink, 1 by Dozier, at least 1 by Parmelee, several by Hughes...power returning to MN with a little speed mixed in

I thought this "thread" was for us fans who are following today's game (which is going great if you haven't noticed because you're wringing your hands about the payroll or free agents we didn't sign).

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere also has 2 SB's with 2 BB's and a 1b...looks like he is getting on base perfectly fine in ST. Hoping it translates to a spot with the big club

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take the payroll complaints and make your own thread, while those of us who are feeling confident about the team this year stay and talk about the Twins destroying the Pirates FTdubs

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Theoretically, if Waldrop is too injured to make the club out of ST, would the Twins have any problems taking Fien with them?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for providing the reference/link. I think it's always good practice to provide the source for data (of course, with exceptions for standard stats available from a variety of sources - like a batter's slash line). I think it adds immediate credibility to a post.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Theoretically, if Waldrop is too injured to make the club out of ST, would the Twins have any problems taking Fien with them?
    He's not on the 40 man, but there are a few spots open now. Who knows? He seems to be making a case for that in this outing.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Fien makes a last - ditch try for a bullpen spot.

1-2-3 sixth, F8/K/K

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Correct, wrong thread, i'm out but I will leave behind another link.

https://www.teammarketing.com/public/files/2011_mlb_fci.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Fien makes a last - ditch try for a bullpen spot.

1-2-3 sixth, F8/K/K
    It might not be a "last ditch" any more. It looks like Waldrop is getting shut down for a while and won't make the team out of ST.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_min

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not helping Butera's case: he is 1-3 with a BB and 4 left on base; not showing he can get hits when he needs to.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am thinking the last three pitchers for the Twins, Maloney, Burton, and Fien (pending the health of Waldrop) are probably the leaders in the bullpen fight

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He's not on the 40 man, but there are a few spots open now. Who knows? He seems to be making a case for that in this outing.
    One of those 2 open spots will go to Burton, the other is probably going to go to Burroughs, Hollimon or Dozier or whoever snags the last bench spot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast