Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Byron Buxton

Byron Keiron Buxton

Role: Cedar Rapids Kernels Starting Centerfielder
    Measurables: 6'1" 188lbs
    Acquired: via #2 overall selection in the 2012 Rule IV Draft
    Rated: #10 by Baseball America; #8 by BaseballProspectUS

Strengths: Considered to be a 5 tool player, Byron is the complete package when dreaming of a starting outfielder. His speed is attibuted to be his greatest asset. This gives him quite a bit a range to compliment his strong arm on defense. He's young for his level and is tearing up the MWL so far. Byron Buxton's attitude has been great so far, but upon his selection last June, he appeared to be a little overwhelmed. However, that hasn't been the case since, as it appears Buxton has enough confidence to go around in the Kernels' dugout.

Weaknesses: There were doubts about whether he would be a good hitter, but clearly it's grown silent on that front. Buxton has crushed the ball in his brief tenure in the minors, but given the choice, power is the lesser of his strengths. Although, at age 19 he'll have plenty of time to grow. Byron's seemingly effortless and fluid swing also provide comfort. Overall, even the most celebrated nitpickers will have trouble finding faults with Byron Buxton as a prospect.

Tool Assessment (BaseballProspectUS):
    "The Tools: All of them; 8 run; 7+ arm; 6+ raw power; 6+ hit (potential)"
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 04-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Byron's stats after the first 11 Games:

Batting slash
    : 474/576/737
    Other batting:18-38, 2 2B, 1 3B, 2 HRs, 9 RBI, 6 BB, 8 SO

Baserunning: 4 SB, 2 CS, SB% 66.7%
    Fielding: 24 POs, 0 ER, 100% Fld

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    What are some good comps for Buxton?

Granderson?

Carlos Gonzalez ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post

Granderson?

Carlos Gonzalez ceiling?
    He's a range for ya:

Carlos Gomez Floor
    Willie Mays Ceiling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post

Granderson?

Carlos Gonzalez ceiling?
    Adam Jones with more patience and speed. He seems similar to Austin Action Jackson too.

Blog Entries
    Buxton was 1 for 3 today in the Kernel's 11th win. He stole a base, was caught stealing, and was picked off as well. 2 walks in addition to a run were contributed too.

If I am not mistaken (an that's entirely possible) I think Buxton has reached base at least once in every game this season. He's got the speed to make an impact as a base stealer. Having been thrown out multiple times, as well as being picked off, makes me hope that he can do some work on the basepaths with Paul Molitor.

The thing that I like the best, aside from being a 5 tool player and his tremendous athletic ability, is he seems very down to earth. He is level headed, respectful and coachable. Compliments to his parents and family in regards to his (at least to this point) being humble and hungry to work to improve.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I can see Andrew McCutchen although that's a fairly standard comp for toolsy players with good but not great projected power. So far he looks like a good average hitter with good strike zone control and at least 10-15 HR power. It's possible that he becomes a .300+ hitter with a .375+ OBP and 20+ HR's. In CF that's a perennial AS and potential MVP.

I think Buxton has finally reached the level of pro ball, where stealing is more than just being blazing fast. Considering he's been thrown out 40% of the time this year, I'm hoping he's learning how to get his timing down. He's too fast for his baserunning not to be an asset.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    From Jim call is at BAs chat today:
    Who would you rather have: Buxton or the 2013 draft field?
    Jim Callis: Buxton.

If with the chance to redo on Appeal he is still going with Buxton.

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton hit his 3rd home run of the season tonight.

Blog Entries
    Buxton is at 419/526/694 for his slash
    Fld % is at .976 with only 1 Error

Blog Entries
    Buxton recent article MWL notes: Buxton bolts out of gate | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Byron
    has dropped below the double mendoza and now sits 391/511/652
    We may be in for some more regression, but hopefully he'll still continue to ball.

Thankfully, the baserunning has looked a little better. 8 swipes and 4 CS. Still, as a 80 speed guy, it would be great to get that SB% above .700
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 04-28-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post

Thankfully, the baserunning has looked a little better. 8 swipes and 4 CS. Still, as a 80 speed guy, it would be great to get that SB% above .700
    I gotta think that this is the first time he's played at a level where catchers can consistently get him out if he doesn't get a good jump, regardless of his speed. I'd rather him get caught a few times and take the time to gain experience learning how to use his speed and work on getting good jumps.

Edit: I knew I had made this point before. Didn't realize that it was in the same thread. Oops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    I gotta think that this is the first time he's played at a level where catchers can consistently get him out if he doesn't get a good jump, regardless of his speed. I'd rather him get caught a few times and take the time to gain experience learning how to use his speed and work on getting good jumps.

Edit: I knew I had made this point before. Didn't realize that it was in the same thread. Oops.
    Rookie mistake. Haha just kidding. I like the point you made, so a little emphasis doesn't hurt.

Blog Entries
    Advertisement for my Buxton group just passing through. I know groups aren't really "hip" at TD though.
    http://twinsdaily.com/groups/buxton-...agon-ride.html
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 05-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    From Jim Callis' weekly prospect chat on Buxton:

Thoughts on Byron Buxton thus far in the MWL? Has he exceeded expectations in the first month?
    Jim Callis: Tremendous. Though he was the best player in last year’s draft but would need some time to adjust. I was wrong about the second part of that statement.

Please rank: Best outfielder in 2018: Buxton, Myers, Taveras, or Puig?
    Jim Callis: Buxton, Taveras, Myers, Puig. All four could be studs.

In his May edition of Who's The #1 Prospect, Mike Newman of Fangraph's has Buxton as his top prospect. I thought is was a good read.

Blog Entries
    Buxton was Caught Stealing for the 5th time yesterday and I believe his on base streak has reached 29 games.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 05-08-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Buxton had a monster game May 12th, but the past two days he's gone 1-7 with a walk, 4 runs, and 2 stolen bases. His OPS for the last 10 games is only .708.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast