Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Has Andy Pettitte had a Hall-of-Fame worthy career?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 14.29%
  • No

18 85.71%

Thread: Is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer

Andy Pettitte is one of only 4 current pitchers in the MLB with 90 more pitching wins than losses. (Sabathia, Hudson, Halladay) Based on his career so far, is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    He probably would have, but if Bonds, Clemens and McGuire aren't getting in due to steriods, Andy Pettite surely won't.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    His numbers make him not quite borderline, even without the steroid admission.

I'd say he's clearly not.

He sure looked like a HOFer all those times he pitched against the Twins, though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Pitcher A: 95-06, 148-139, 113 ERA+, 2451ip, 45.6 WAR
    Pitcher B: 95-06, 186-104, 119 ERA+, 2312ip, 44.4 WAR

Pitcher A retired after the 06 season because his arm broke down. Pitcher B used PEDs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Pitcher A: 95-06, 148-139, 113 ERA+, 2451ip, 45.6 WAR
    Pitcher B: 95-06, 186-104, 119 ERA+, 2312ip, 44.4 WAR

Pitcher A retired after the 06 season because his arm broke down. Pitcher B used PEDs.
    Radke is a solid comp to Pettitte.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like that comp, and as was stated above... if the greatest hitter of our generation isn't in the Hall, Pettitte shouldn't come close.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    He's a strong borderline candidate. I can see him hanging around on the ballot for a dozen years then getting in. I probably wouldn't vote for him, but I also wouldn't argue too vehemently against it.

[/passingbuck]
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do they let snitches into the HoF?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Radke is a solid comp to Pettitte.
    He's an interesting comp. But, part of what goes into a HoF career is longevity, so cherry picking only the years Radke pitched leaves out part of a legitimate case for Pettitte.

That said, he doesn't have my "vote".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Steroid era is going to be tough for voters. Only shoe in I see are ken grif jr, none other really come to mind. Its hard to know who did or didnt use. Heck even jr. May have. The fact that we pettitte did makes him an easy NO brainer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Imo HOF'ers should be considered as elite at some point in their career. I just don't believe that is true for Pettitte. The main argument in this thread is his WL record that was racked up at the height of some great Yankee teams. Other than that he was a pretty ordinary very good pitcher.

I'm not sure I agree that Jr. is the only HOF lock. I can think of two pitchers that are locks (RJ and Maddux). Smoltz and Pedro also should be locks along with Mo.

Other hitting locks should be Chipper, Jeter, thomas and probably Thome.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do see a scenario where Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame:

2017 - There is a nuclear holocaust, wiping out 95% of the population of Planet Earth. 2-3% of the population of the United States and Lower Canada survive this event and create new societies living in the sewers in the remains of big cities.

In 2116, when the Elder Statesmen of a few different clans deem the environment to be safe to enter and to investigate, a group of explorers is sent out into the world and they stumble upon the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Although these explorers have no clue what "Baseball" is and have a hard time piecing together how the game is played, in their best effort they try to play a game to their best abilities in a field near Cooperstown. They use a Mickey Mantle bat from his Triple Crown Season and a Sandy Koufax baseball from one of his no-hitters to try and relight the fire of the great game of baseball.

It does not go so well as a black bear and Siberian Tiger attack them while playing. One of the fatalities of this attack is a man named Gurbis #6, he had kept in his pocket a plastic encased Andy Pettitte 1996 Topps baseball card inherited to him from his Great Great Grandfather.

When the surviving explorers discover this in the pocket of Gurbis #6's pants pocket after cannibalizing him, they decide that it would be a good omen to induct Andy Pettitte into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Using tree sap they stick Andy Pettitte's Baseball Card on one of glass encasings within the HOF, and proclaim him God of Baseball. After checking each other for ticks and combing each others hair, the surviving explorers make their way back to their underground home in Buffalo, New York.

This is how Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 04-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Andy Pettitte is one of only 4 current pitchers in the MLB with 90 more pitching wins than losses. (Sabathia, Hudson, Halladay) Based on his career so far, is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer?
    No, but he's probably the best pitcher I've ever seen(live), besides Johan. He's a hall of gamer. Clutch may be a myth, but some guys just don't get rattled, and he never seemed to. Also, peds and ****, whatever. If those things were going to help anyone, they'd help cal break the iron man record.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd never vote for him. The only players with confirmed steroid use that I would consider voting for are Barry Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro, and Roger Clemens. Pettitte is borderline with those stats if it hadn't been revealed he used HGH. Since he did, that makes it blatantly clear he shouldn't. The only reason he could possibly get in is because he was basically a career Yankee. If Jeter had used steroids, I could see him still getting voted in anyway.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    I do see a scenario where Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame:

2017 - There is a nuclear holocaust, wiping out 95% of the population of Planet Earth. 2-3% of the population of the United States and Lower Canada survive this event and create new societies living in the sewers in the remains of big cities.

In 2116, when the Elder Statesmen of a few different clans deem the environment to be safe to enter and to investigate, a group of explorers is sent out into the world and they stumble upon the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Although these explorers have no clue what "Baseball" is and have a hard time piecing together how the game is played, in their best effort they try to play a game to their best abilities in a field near Cooperstown. They use a Mickey Mantle bat from his Triple Crown Season and a Sandy Koufax baseball from one of his no-hitters to try and relight the fire of the great game of baseball.

It does not go so well as a black bear and Siberian Tiger attack them while playing. One of the fatalities of this attack is a man named Gurbis #6, he had kept in his pocket a plastic encased Andy Pettitte 1996 Topps baseball card inherited to him from his Great Great Grandfather.

When the surviving explorers discover this in the pocket of Gurbis #6's pants pocket after cannibalizing him, they decide that it would be a good omen to induct Andy Pettitte into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Using tree sap they stick Andy Pettitte's Baseball Card on one of glass encasings within the HOF, and proclaim him God of Baseball. After checking each other for ticks and combing each others hair, the surviving explorers make their way back to their underground home in Buffalo, New York.

This is how Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
    Bark -- I have missed these posts and am very glad that you have returned to TD. I can't wait to see what you post if Plouffe gets into another home run streak.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    I think his playoff performance matters more than people are acknowledging. I think he'll eventually get in, despite the steroids use--that he's pitching into his 40s after admitting use, and his betrayal of Clemens probably work in his favor.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, after the roid use, I cannot see his career being good enough. It is marginal now