Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Kepler

I just found this writeup of Jeff Johnson's from a couple days ago:

Kernels’ new CF “ist ein guter baseball-spieler”

In the article Kepler has this to say about his elbow injury:

“It took me awhile to get back, but it’s better. A lot better, a lot stronger,” Kepler said of his elbow. “It was depressing, very depressing to go through. It felt like I went through a depression. But injuries are a part of baseball. You’ve just got to fight through it.”
    In other news, Kepler got a single and walked in a run yesterday, meaning he's on a 6 game hitting streak. Not bad for only playing 7 games! Hopefully the elbow issues are entirely behind him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    First CR Kernels game and Max really helped me get over missing the Buxton era...was supposed to see them April 17th but was rained out. Kepler looks like the real deal but with his size does he really project as CF prospect? I thought he looks more like a corner outfield long term.
    He probably fits best in LF. He's not as fast as he was when he was younger and smaller and his arm is probably just average.

Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    First CR Kernels game and Max really helped me get over missing the Buxton era...was supposed to see them April 17th but was rained out. Kepler looks like the real deal but with his size does he really project as CF prospect? I thought he looks more like a corner outfield long term.
    In an interview a couple of summers ago Kepler mentioned more than once that he aspired to be a Josh Hamilton type. Hamilton is listed on Baseball-Reference as 6-4, 225, which is the same height and just a few pounds heavier than Kepler now. Hamilton has played plenty of CF, so I don't think it's out of the question based on size alone. I don't think Kepler would ever be playing CF on the same team as Buxton or Hicks though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 89 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kepler had the game-winning walk-off single Sunday afternoon for Cedar Rapids. That's their 10th straight win to start the second half of the MWL season.

The Kernels Board of Directors has a tradition where they treat the team to dinner at an Amana Colonies restaurant any time they put together a 10 game winning streak, so yesterday's win accomplished that. If you're not familiar with the Amana Colonies, it's a German community and the restaurants specialize in German food (as well as American) and largely serve "family style" which means the side dishes, etc., are pretty much unlimited.

Kepler's quote from the MSR postgame account:

"Free meal? That's awesome," said Kepler, who grew up in Berlin. "So schnitzel and bratwurst? Sauerbraten? I'm really excited. I haven't had German food in awhile, so I'm really excited for that."

Check out Jim Ecker's full article:
    Kepler earns German feast with big hit

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Kepler had quite a week, especially considering it was his first full week in A-ball. He hit .273/407/636 (1.044) on the week including 2 doubles, 2 homeruns, and a walkoff single to give the Kernels their 10th straight win and a free meal. Check out the metro sports report article linked in the post above for a couple nice quotes. In the field, Kepler played center field in 4 games, right field in 1, and was the DH once.

Here's an interesting stat - Kepler has 11 hits so fat this year, and only 4 of them are singles. The other 7 are 5 doubles and 2 homeruns. All of that makes his slugging percentage (.550) exactly double his average (.275)

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Kepler launched a mammoth home run, against the wind, in Monday night's game and then added a triple later. Gotta wonder if Mike Pelfrey tried to stuff Kepler in the trunk of his car and take him back up to Minneapolis with him.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Kepler had an up-and-down week at the plate, with monster games on Monday (HR and Triple) and Friday (4 for 5 including a double), but went 0 for 3 on Thursday and 0 for 5 on Saturday. All together he had a great slash line for the week of .345/.367/.553 (.918). His 4 hits on Friday brought his average for the year over .300, and his full year slash line is now .304/.377/.551 (.927).

Kepler played 4 games in Center,2 at DH, and one game at first base on Wednesday. He played 3 games at first back in 2011 at Elizabethton, but other than that has always been an outfielder.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing Kepler in 2 games and batting practice, and SDBuhr may agree... Kepler is incredibly impressive. Size, good speed, decent defense. Incredibly quick, powerful bat! Jake Mauer glowed about him. The only question is how big he will get and what position he will play.

Kepler had a rough week, going 1 for 22 with 9 strikeouts. This slump brought his numbers for the year down quite a bit to .242/.303/.429 (.732). Hopefully things will turn around this week!

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His splits are concerning. He is flailing against lefties. 10 SO in 23 ABs against lefties is very poor. He is going to have to get better.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check out this video that includes game video from Saturday's Kernels game... great defense, power, etc.

Kepler has rebounded nicely from his 1 for 22 slump the 2nd week of July. From July 15-28 he hit .333/.455/.533 (.988) with 2 homeruns and more walks (10) than strikeouts (7). He also stole his first two bases of the year. The slump a few weeks ago is pulling down his overall numbers quite a bit to .273/.361/.468 (828). I'm moving into cherry-picking territory here, but if you expclude his 1-22 slump his full year slash line looks very nice at .316/.412/.547 (.959) with 18 walks compared to 19 strikeouts.

His splits have improved slightly since clutterheart's post above, with 6 more at-bat's against lefthanders and only 1 more strikeout. His OPS vs lefties is a putrid .437, but that's actually a couple hundred points higher than it was 2 weeks ago. Of course, 29 at-bat's is a very small sample size.

Max has seen a lot more action at first base lately, having played there 9 times since July 15th. The rest of his time in the field has been at left, where he had played a decent amount of CF earlier in the year.

I was at the Cedar Rapids game on Saturday night, and Kepler looks very athletic and agile, he played a great game at first base. Not sure how much bigger he will get, not sure what it is but he reminds me of Joe Mauer, hopefully with more power. I don't know if he is projected to be a high average guy, but love the swing and on this night loved the athleticism and agility he displayed. He looked natural at first base.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    It's funny you would say that, bp, as I thought the same thing when I watched the video Seth posted. I think for me what makes the two similar is that it looks like someone grafted a pitcher's torso onto Miguel Sano's hips!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Looked like he could be in the mix for our 1B of the future.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not surprised they are playing him a little there. The OF will hopefully be pretty filled by the time he is ready while 1b might be open for the taking if Sano can stay at 3b.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Having him play some extended first base also seems like a good way to limit the strain on his elbow, which kept him out of action earlier in the year.

Unfortunately Kepler suffered another injury this past Sunday requiring stiches to his right index finger. It was a freak accident, that Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette described this way:

Kepler suffered a deep cut on his right index finger that required multiple stitches, the result of a freak accident shortly before Sunday’s game in which he was hit with a wayward bat that came from inside the indoor batting cage. Kepler was standing OUTSIDE the cage at the time. He left a trail of blood from the cage to the Kernels clubhouse.“I just saw red, and I was like ‘I’ve got to go to the hospital,’” he said. “It’s 2013. Not a lucky year for me.” - See more at: Twins benefits: Kernels win 83rd game of season | TheGazette
    I haven't seen anything about how long Kepler will be out with this.

In other Kepler news, his bat has cooled off a bit since my last post, with his slash line down to .241/.320/.424 (.744)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 739 Times in 457 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssuperdave View Post
    Unfortunately Kepler suffered another injury this past Sunday requiring stiches to his right index finger. It was a freak accident, that Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette described this way:

I haven't seen anything about how long Kepler will be out with this.

In other Kepler news, his bat has cooled off a bit since my last post, with his slash line down to .241/.320/.424 (.744)
    I cannot imagine it being too long. I would think with stitches (baring infection) it would be healed up in a week or two tops.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I cannot imagine it being too long. I would think with stitches (baring infection) it would be healed up in a week or two tops.
    There's a big difference between Kepler being out a week... or two. One week means he's back for the last regular season game and the postseason that starts Wednesday. Two weeks means He could miss almost the entire first two rounds of the playoffs.

Personally, I expect him back for the postseason, but I haven't heard anything concrete, yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast