Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brett Lee

Brett Lee Update #11

Sorry for the delay--I am traveling--I didn't have web access for 3 days--cause I refuse to pay $12 a day...

Brett started Saturday and pitched arguably his best game of the year. With Atholton starting Sunday there is a chance Brett could go to the pen for the rest of the season. Brett went 8 innings--I believe his longest stint yet. The vaunted Kernels offense didn't show so Brett didn't get the win even though he didn't give up an earned run. (He did give up an unearned run). The vaunted Kernels offense (less vaunted now of course without Buxton) did show up eventually and the Kernels won in 10 on a walk-off WP of all things.

Brett continued to build up his good ratios--4 hits in 8 innings--NO WALKS--9 Ks. 13 ground outs to only 4 fly outs. An OUTSTANDING performance. For the year Brett is 5-4 with an ERA of 3.89. Again take out the start where he was left in too long and a couple of other things and his ERA would be about 3.33 (you could say that about all pitchers).

Brett's second half stats--12Ks to 1BB; 21grounders to 6 flyouts. His second half WHIP is 0.77--outstanding--assuming my math is good.

Brett Lee update 12

Brett celebrated being on Seth's Minor League pitcher of the month list by having a mediocre game...he did receive the benefit of the vaunted Kernels offense and left with a lead. The Kernels pen had a bad night and the Kernels lost--so Brett did not get a decision.

Brett went 5 and 2/3 innings giving up 5 hits (one double and 4 singles) while allowing 3 runs (only 2 earned). He kept up his outstanding K/BB ratio by striking out 5 while walking only 1. He did throw a WP. He had 6 ground outs to 4 fly ball outs--below par for him...his record for the season is 5-4 with an ERA of 3.84.

Brett's second half stats--3 starts 18.2 IP; 14 hits allowed. His outstanding K/BB ratio is 17-2. He has 27 groundouts to 10 flyouts--still after a mediocre performance a very good close to 3.0 ratio. His second half WHIP is 0.857 (assuming my math is correct).

Brett Lee Update 13

Like my other adopt-a-prospect (Stephen Gonsalves) Brett continued his bid to move up on all of Seth's lists...He threw a complete game. Not only, was it his first complete game of the year, it was the first complete game of 2013 thrown by a Cedar Rapids pitcher.

Brett was the beneficiary of the vaunted Kernels offense (basically Adam Walker) that produced a 3 run first inning and coasted to a 7-1 complete game win. He gave up 5 hits in his 9 innings that produced one run. He struck out 3 and walked a batter. He got 15 guys out on grounders (including 2 DPs) and 6 on flies. All in all, a very impressive showing. If he can do this consistently, maybe 2014 will see him in New Britain and give me a chance to see him pitch live at Bowie or Harrisburg...

Brett's second half stats--4 starts totaling 27.2 IP which is an average of 7IP per start; In those 4 starts he has given up 19 hits, 8 runs (5 earned), struck out 20 and walked only 3. His outstanding ratios--20K/3BB almost 7-1; 42 ground outs to 15 flyouts almost 3-1. Assuming my math is correct--his WHIP is 0.795.

For the year Brett is 6-4 with an ERA of 3.54. He has thrown 86.1 innings which is double what he threw for E-Town in 2012--I wonder if the Twins Minor League pitching gurus will be keeping an eye on that stat.

Brett Lee Update 14

For about a minute I thought about just copying the last update...but I didn't. It will be very similar because the games were similar.

Brett made another move (just like my other adopt-a-prospect Stephen Gonsalves) to move up on all of Seth's lists--including starting pitcher for the month of July. He made the case as well for promotion to the Miracle and (hopefully for me) 2014 to New Britain.

He threw his second complete game of the year--the second for the Kernels--and his second consecutive complete game. He received support from the vaunted Kernels offense (or at least Adam Walker who hit 2 HR and now has 20 for the year). This time the offense came late (5th inning). Brett went 9 innings giving up 6 hits (1 HR) which led to the only run he gave up (it was earned) while walking 1 and striking out 10!!! He continued his outstanding grounder to flyball ratio by inducing 9 groundouts and 3 flyouts.

His second half stats--5 appearances (all starts); 36.2 IP (an average of 7.1 IP per start) 9 runs (6 earned) (which gives a second half ERA of 1.49 if my math is good), 25 hits, 4 BB and 30Ks!!! That makes his second half K/BB ratio 10/1!! His ground/fly ratio is 51 to 18 which is a ratio of 2.83 to 1. His WHIP for the second half is 0.79. Again all of these assume my math is correct. All are truly outstanding even if my math is slightly off.

For the 2013 season Brett is 7-4 with an ERA of 3.30. He has pitched 95.2 innings in 2013 which is by far the most he has pitched (at least since High School).

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Brett has made his case to remain a starter... Whats the change? What has his fastball been doing? You discussed it early while questioning the radar gun; has his fastball picked up some steam, has he added pitches? What is he doing to make this improvement? Love the idea of starting pitching prospect developing like this for the Twins. That doesn't seem to occur for us.

Brett Lee Update 15

Well, the clock struck midnight (or insert your own cliché here)--Brett's streak of 2 complete games in a row ended. The Kernels won--but Brett didn't get the win. The vaunted Kernels offense showed up but only after Brett left (while he was in the vaunted Kernels offense got the grand total of 1 (UNO) hit).

Brett pitched well while he was in the game--5 IP, 2 runs (only 1 earned), 6 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks...not sure why he was pulled after only 5 innings down only 2-0...my hunch is his innings count for the year...100!! More than he has pitched in his professional career and I think since High School.

This was his 6th second half appearance (all starts). He has pitched 41.2 innings (an average of virtually 7 a start). He has given up 11 runs (7 earned) and 31 hits while walking only 5 and striking out 34. His 2nd half ratios (assuming my math is correct) ERA is 1.51; K/BB is almost 7/1; ground out to fly out is 61/19 (3.21) and WHIP is 0.864. All of these are truly outstanding and bode well for a future with the Twins as either a starter or a long reliever in the Duensing role. Probably has thrown too many innings to be promoted in August (unless in a pen role) but should be in Ft. Myers or New Britain in 2014.

For the year, Brett is 7-4 with an ERA of 3.23. (he had a few bad starts in the first half).

Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Brett Lee Update 15

Well, the clock struck midnight (or insert your own cliché here)--Brett's streak of 2 complete games in a row ended. The Kernels won--but Brett didn't get the win. The vaunted Kernels offense showed up but only after Brett left (while he was in the vaunted Kernels offense got the grand total of 1 (UNO) hit).

Brett pitched well while he was in the game--5 IP, 2 runs (only 1 earned), 6 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks...not sure why he was pulled after only 5 innings down only 2-0...my hunch is his innings count for the year...100!! More than he has pitched in his professional career and I think since High School.

This was his 6th second half appearance (all starts). He has pitched 41.2 innings (an average of virtually 7 a start). He has given up 11 runs (7 earned) and 31 hits while walking only 5 and striking out 34. His 2nd half ratios (assuming my math is correct) ERA is 1.51; K/BB is almost 7/1; ground out to fly out is 61/19 (3.21) and WHIP is 0.864. All of these are truly outstanding and bode well for a future with the Twins as either a starter or a long reliever in the Duensing role. Probably has thrown too many innings to be promoted in August (unless in a pen role) but should be in Ft. Myers or New Britain in 2014.

For the year, Brett is 7-4 with an ERA of 3.23. (he had a few bad starts in the first half).
    Lee was on a 75 pitch limit due the 2 prior complete games. Was pulled with pitch count in 60's due to new inning.

Quote Originally Posted by 60ft6in View Post
    Lee was on a 75 pitch limit due the 2 prior complete games. Was pulled with pitch count in 60's due to new inning.
    Thanks for info...kind of what I thought

Brett Lee Update 16

Brett came off the minor league DL today and made his 7th 2nd half appearance (all starts). The vaunted Kernels offense showed up and the Kernels won 7-4. Brett didn't get the win. He left in the third inning with the Kernels winning 2-0. Obviously, on a limit coming off the DL. Nevertheless, Brett's outing was impressive. He faced 11 batters in the 3IP--did not walk anybody; did not give up a run. He allowed 2 hits while striking out 1. He had 5 groundball outs vs. 0 (none, zippo) fly outs. He looks to be fine to finish the season--though his innings count for the year is now 103.1

He increased all his outstanding second half ratios--in 44.2 IP he has given up 11runs (7 earned), 33 hits, 5BB and struck out 35. That makes his K/BB ratio an outstanding 7/1. His WHIP 0.85; his ground out to fly ratio almost 3.5 to 1 and his second half ERA 1.41. We should see if these numbers hold up next year at either (or both) Fort Myers and New Britain.

For the year, Brett is 7-4 with an ERA of 3.14.

Brett Lee Update 17

Brett made his 8th second half appearance tonight (all starts). He pitched 4.2 innings and did not get a decision--the game was tied 2-2 when he was lifted. The vaunted Kernels offense showed up in the 6th and 7th innings (without Adam Walker who went 0/3) and the Kernels won 6-5. Brett is now at 108 IP for the season (which is substantially more than he pitched last year) and being watched closely by the Twins pitching gurus.

It was an OK start--not good--not bad. He pitched 4.2 innings giving up 2 runs (both earned) on 6 hits. He walked 2 and got 4Ks. Most impressively, he got 8 ground outs to 0 flies.

His second half stats and ratios took a minor hit (outside of ground/fly). He has pitched 49.1 innings giving up 13 runs (9 earned), 39 hits, walked 7 and struck out 39. That makes his K/BB ratio 5.55. His WHIP is 0.94; his second half ERA 1.65 and his ground/fly ratio (74/19)3.89.

For the year, Brett is 7-4 with an ERA of 3.17.

Brett Lee Update #18

The Twins minor league pitching gurus are obviously being very cautious with Brett. He hasn't made a start in about 10 days. With good reason--Brett has now pitched 110 innings in 2013.

Brett has made 2 bullpen appearances in this span. He pitched 1 inning in each (8/20 and today). So in two innings he has been perfect--faced 6 batters--retired them all--no hits, no walks, no runs. He struck out 1 (today) and the other 5 ground out.

His ERA for the year is now down to 3.11. His record is still 7-4. I am not going to update ratios (2 IP out of 110 wont change much). Obviously, they all (very) slightly improved...

Unless Brett starts next week--no update till end of season--then I will summarize everything. Hopefully, Brett gets a playoff start as a reward for a good (no outstanding) season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everything I've heard indicates Lee will start one of the games in the first round of the Kernels' postseason.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Everything I've heard indicates Lee will start one of the games in the first round of the Kernels' postseason.
    As he should. Maybe higher prospects on team at pitcher - but he is this teams Ace. He should start game one and get Kernels that 1st win on the road. Lee as the table setter in 2 of 3 series. Melo as the key mid-reliever should be lights out this post season. Boer and Gilbert as the key closers. Who knows who else they may bring up by next week [pitchers 2013 draft ].

Lee
    - Shibuya - Atherton (if needed) for 1st series

Atherton or Berrios (game 1 and / or 2) - Sulbaran - Montanez - for second series (Lee possible game 5 starter)

Lee
    - Shibuya - Atherton - Berrios - (Sulbaran game 5 if needed) for championship series

To my surprise, I figured Jake Mauer and the Twins pitching gurus would keep Brett in the pen until the playoffs--limiting his innings, Brett Lee made his 11th second half appearance (and 9th start) tonight. He was impressive--and should continue to move up Seth's list (or be one of his 5 overlooked pitching prospects or both). Brett got the win as the vaunted Kernels offense (but not Adam B. Walker) showed up behind him. Brett's next appearance should be starting for the Kernels in the playoffs (maybe game 1). He has earned it. We will ignore the fact that Brett has pitched 116 innings in 2012.

Tonight Brett went 6 innings--almost perfect. He gave up zero (nada) runs, only 3 hits and a single BB. He struck out 5.

Brett's (presumably) final second half stats--57.1 IP, 13 runs (9 earned), 42 hits, 8 BB, 45Ks. He has retired 74 via the grounder vs. 21 via the fly. (That's a 3.5 ratio.) His K/BB is 5.625 and his K per 9 innings is about 7 (very impressive even though less than my other "adapt a prospect" Stephen Gonsalves). Brett's second half WHIP is 0.87. His second half ERA is 2.04. All of these numbers are pretty impressive--his numbers for the year are (slightly) less so--I will post all year numbers post-playoffs (which hopefully wont end before mid-Sept.)

When I started this blog, I thought Brett had a future with the Twins as the lefty reliever (long or short). Now I wonder if he has a role as a back of the rotation starter...we will learn more in 2014 at New Britain or Ft. Myers.

For the year, Brett is 8-4 with an ERA of 2.95.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lee had this to say after the game:

“It was a little more difficult going that long now,” Lee admitted. “After going just one or two innings for the past couple of weeks. I definitely could feel it, especially with how hot it was. I had to come in here (to the clubhouse) between each inning. I would sit on the bench and I would literally be dripping.”

My full game story can be found by clicking Kernels clinch 2nd half flag

The rotation was set up to have Berrios pitch game 1, Lee game 2 and Atherton game 3, if necessary. Berrios has struggled his last 2 games so Mauer and Lucas were going to take another look this afternoon, then talk to their pitchers. Could stay the same, could see a different pitcher plugged in to game 1 or could see Lee pushed up to game 1. May find out tonight.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Thanks SD (or JC your alter ego) for the post...wonder about Lee hitting the wall (so to speak) like Berrios apparently has...hopefully cooler weather for the playoffs (in Sept.).

Brett Lee Update 20

Hopefully this wont be the last update in 2013. The Cedar Rapids Kernels began their post-season tonight. Unfortunately, the vaunted Kernels offense didn't show up. The Kernels managed a grand total of 4 hits and lost 2-1.

Brett got the start--he didn't take the loss he left with the game tied 1-1. Brett considering his pitching load this year did well but not great. He went 5 innings giving up the one run (it was earned) 4 hits, walking 3 (not good). The rest was better he retired 7 via the ground ball, 1 flyout and 6Ks.

MILB.com boxscore stats (like BA and ERA) are for post-season only--so I will not add to second half stats. If Brett gets another post-season appearance--for that to happen the Kernels must win the next 2 and then Brett get a start towards the end of the second round series--I will combine post season appearances. If the Kernels don't win the next 2--they are done. I will post a wrap after the Kernel season is done. For now, I will say that Brett accomplished more than I expected--he turned out to be a top of the Kernels rotation guy when I expected to see him in the pen after June.

Brett Lee 2013 Wrap:

I have decided to do a wrap for both of my "adopt-a-prospects". I have enjoyed following both of them in the Twins minor league system this summer. Thanks to Seth's (and Jeremy's) daily reports I have followed the minors more closely this summer than any other in my over 55 years of following baseball...helped by the Twins being so woeful.

Here are Brett's stats for the three half seasons of ball in the Twins organization:
    E-town 2012: 4-0 2.68 ERA. He appeared in 16 games (only 4 starts) pitching 43.2 innings allowing 39 hits and 17 runs (13 earned). He walked 12 and had 48Ks.
    Cedar Rapids 2013 first half: 4-4 4.44 ERA (weird). He was a starter (10) who came out of the pen twice in the first week of inclement weather. He pitched 58.2 innings giving up 36 runs (29 earned--his error cost him a couple of earned runs) and 75 hits and 18 BB. He struck out 44.
    Cedar Rapids second half: 4-0 1.41 ERA. Not only was he a starter (arguably) he was the Kernels second half ace. His back-back complete games in July were the only 2 Kernels complete games until the last week of the season. He pitched 57.1 innings giving up 42 hits, 13 runs (9 earned) and only 8 BB. That made his second half WHIP 0.87. He struck out 45. It seems that Brett will strike out about 45 batters each half season--numbers the Twins could use.

I believe splitting his numbers this way, Brett improved each half of career and took a HUGE step up in the second half of 2013. I was very impressed. Brett was not on any of Seth's lists going into the season--I expected a switch to the bullpen--which only happened at the end--to limit his innings--Brett's performance kept him in the rotation. I believe Brett's numbers are far superior to any pitcher who has worn a Twins uniform in the past 2 seasons (that isn't saying much).

In summary, I rank Brett at the top of the second tier of Twins pitching prospects behind only Meyer, Stewart and Gonsalves--along side of May, Berrios etc. Definitely in the top 10. I hope Seth agrees--I am sure we will hear more about Brett from Seth in the offseason. While Brett may end up in the Twins pen in 2016, I think he deserves a chance to earn a rotation spot.

He definitely earned a promotion to Ft. Myers in 2014 and hopefully he will be in New Britain soon (so I can see him in Bowie and Harrisburg). Barring the injury plague that seems to hit most Twins pitching prospects, I expect that Brett will be in New Britain by 2015 and in Twins training camp the following spring. I look forward to following his progress and hope to adopt him in 2013.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was a fair amount of debate in CR this year concerning who the Kernels' MVP was. Buxton was by far the best prospect, but was only in CR half the season. Many felt Walker, by being in town all season, was the MVP with all of his power numbers.

To be honest, I'd give Brett Lee a lot of consideration if I were voting for a Kernels' MVP. He was the most consistent pitcher the Kernels had (with a hat tip to Mason Melotakis, as well).

I'll just say that the Kernels would have been a much poorer ballclub without Lee in the rotation all year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12