Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Brett Walker, 3rd round 2012 draft

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Adam Brett Walker, 3rd round 2012 draft

Drafted in the 3rd round (97th overall) by the Minnesota Twins in 2012 (signed for $490,400)

MiLB site: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=608724

Adam Walker.jpg

Adam Walker 38 | RF

Cedar Rapids Kernels
    Class A Midwest League

MLB Parent Club: Minnesota
    Stats
    AVG:
    .286HR:
    3RBI:
    15SB:
    Bookmark Player
    Full Name: Adam Walker
    Born: 10/18/1991
    Birthplace: Milwaukee, WI
    College: Jacksonville
    Height: 6' 4"
    Weight: 225
    Bats: R
    Throws: R
    Last edited by TRex; 04-26-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Here are some pertinent (and excellent) posts from last year's Adam Walker adopt-a-prospect page:

alarp33:
    Adam Walker

Pos: 1B/LF

Ht./Wt.: 6'5"/ 225lbs

B/T: R/R

Drafted: 2012 - 97th overall out of Jacksonville University

Junior Season: Hit .343 w/ a .426 OBP, 14 doubles, 12 home runs and surprisingly for a guy his size 19 stolen bases

From MLB Scouting Report:

The son of a former NFL running back, Walker looks the part of a future slugger. The question is if he has the baseball skills to get there. There's no question about his pop at the plate. He might have as much raw power as anyone in the Draft class, with some scouts giving him an 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He also has a very good approach to hitting, though his hitting instincts lag behind. That leaves some wondering if he'll learn to tap into that power consistently enough against advanced pitching. A big, physical specimen, Walker has played both first base and the outfield. His arm is well below average, and while some think he could handle playing left field, his defensive home is up in the air. He draws comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, both in body type and power potential, but there is some concern that he's a Ferrari with a VW engine.

Will begin his Professional career in Elizabethton

lightfoot789: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=l120
    MILB Top Offensive Player in the Post Season for Appalachian League
    Seemed to figure it out at the right time.
    Appalachian League
    Adam Walker, Elizabethton
    (.375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB)
    After a slow start, Walker finished the regular season tied for the league lead with 14 home runs. He didn't let up in the playoffs, going deep three more times (and swiping three bases, one shy of his regular-season total) and driving in seven runs in the E-Twins' run to the title. A third-round pick in the 2012 Draft, Walker had hits in each of Elizabethton's six games and fell a triple shy of the cycle in its playoff opener, a 4-0 win at Danville.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walker was pretty impressive when I saw him in Cedar Rapids. He did a very nice job in the press conference. Watching him take batting practice is quite the spectacle. He has as much power potential as Miguel Sano. He is so strong. Like many, he'll have to improve his breaking ball recognition. It'll be interesting to see how many homers he can hit this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great game for Adam Brett Walker. 1 Triple and a HR that was crushed according to announcer. Kernels win another one 8-4. He is starting to find his groove during the last 10 games. Hitting over .333 during that span (10 games).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    On Thursday night, Walker hit his third double and his third home run and drove in four runs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Adam Walker may just be a slow starter...

After signing in 2012, his first 30 games in E-town resulted in a not-quite terrible line of (data thanks to GGR):
    30/122 4D/2T/4HR 24RBI 43K 8BB .245/.292/.409

However, from that point on he HIT his stride:
    28/110 3D/2T/10HR 21RBI 33K 11W for a triple/slash of .254/.322/.590

As you can see, the power was up and he showed improved plate discipline (although it was still not good).

Finally, as noted above, Walker's hot streak continued into the post-season where he batted
    .375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB and was named the MVP.

Similarly, while his first 7 games in the MWL resulted in an unimpressive line of:
    5/25 with 2D and no T or HR .200/.259/.259

he has been on fire for his last 10 games, at:
    13/38 with 1D/1T/3HR .342/.390/.658

He is not on any of the leader boards thus far (4/26), but if will be soon if he keeps up this hot streak!
    Last edited by TRex; 04-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Finally, as noted above, Walker's hot streak continued into the post-season where he batted
    .375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB and was named the MVP.
    TRex

The ball just jumps off this kids bat. He's my sleeper prospect in this system. AND All the kid does is win!!
    GLSCL - Licking County Settlers (Champions / 1st time ever) in 2010
    Cape Cod
    - Hyanis Harbor Hawks (Champions / 1st time in 20+ years) in 2011
    Appalachain League
    (MILB) - Elizabethton Twins (Champions) in 2012

He has won a championship in each of the last 3 summer seasons. He was the Top player in 2 of the 3 championships as well. Everyone wants to know if he will be able to figure it out? I'm betting on his record!! Adam Brett Walker = Winner

Oh yeah - the Kernels are in first place this season (2013) too --- just saying...........

Blog Entries
    2 HRs and 7 RBI yesterday for Walker and a replay of 2012 Elizabethton Championship game tonight --- Walker hits a game tying 3 Run HR in the bottom of the 9th and this time Travis Harrison hit the Grand Slam for the Walk Off in the 11th. UnReal !!!

Blog Entries
    Sano Stats over last 10 games:
    BA .289 / 38 AB / 11 R / 11 H / 1 2B / 0 3B / 5 HR / 11 RBI /
    4 BB / 13 SO / .357 OBP / .711 SLUG

Walker Stats over last 10 games:
    BA .385 / 39 AB / 12 R / 15 H / 1 2B / 1 3B / 5 HR / 18 RBI /
    5 BB / 10 SO / .467 OBP / .846 SLUG

That's alot of production in the power category - I'll take Sano 9 times out of 10, but Walker should get the edge this week for Twins Minor League player of the week. I'm just saying............. Aint that right TRex

I was pimping Walker all last season & even argued that he should have been a top 10 prospect (was for me) & he is showing this year that he is for real. His time in Iowa SHOULD be short lived!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I was pimping Walker all last season & even argued that he should have been a top 10 prospect (was for me) & he is showing this year that he is for real. His time in Iowa SHOULD be short lived!!
    It's a nice start but Walker shouldn't have been top ten based on a college player beating up on rk ball pitchers. He also posted a 30% K rate against them.

So far this year he's looking awesome but he should move up because he's a college player in low A ball. This brings up another issue. Do you promote Walker or Buxton first?

Blog Entries
    Walker was one of the youngest college players in the draft last year, so I wouldn't be in a rush to promote him. The average age for the MWL is 21 anyway. He won't be 21 until after instructionals / Fall ball. Besides its a long season. I believe he can keep it up, but we will see?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    He's 21 1/2, which is a little old for a prospect in low A ball. Hopefully he keeps playing well and gets to Fort Myers.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Just so people have them:

Adam Walker is about 21.5 years old...

The average age of a Midwest League Hitter is 21.3 years old...
    The average age of a Midwest League Pitcher is 21.9 years old...

The average age of a Florida State League Hitter is 22.8 years old...
    The average age of a Florida State League Pitcher is 23.2 years old...

so.....do you/Twins promote due to age (ridiculous IMO) or due to production at the level you're at. Not saying promote him tomorrow, but he's in line with another solid month for June 1st. Love to see how his power translates to pitcher friendly FSL but also playing with Sano (protecting him in lineup).

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm sorry that I offended some.

The biggest reason that there is no way he should have been in anyone's Twins top ten was that he struck 30% of the time last year and posted a .250BA with a .310 OBP. He's interesting because he has massive raw power but that only goes so far.

There is age and there is baseball experience. Walker played 3 yrs of college ball. It wasn't a major conference but it's still 3 yrs of college ball and he's up against guys that came out of HS/int'l prospects and played maybe a year of rk ball and appy league ball.

Additionally there is prospect age and league filler age. If you compare Walker to the other Twins prospects he is typically 1-2 yrs older than them. One of them that is close is Niko Goodrum but Goodrum was regarded as a really raw prospect out of the draft.

Blog Entries
    kab21 - I agree that Walker is not worthy of Top 10 Prospect status. I also don't care if a prospect makes his MLB debut at 23 or 25 years old. However long it takes to get the job done once you arrive. If I asked you to tell me the debut age for Albert Pujols; Josh Hamilton; Prince Fielder; Ryan Braun; or Tori Hunter; - could you without looking it up? Some maybe, but probably not, because all that matters is that you produce once you get there. If Walker spent each year in his respective levels - he would be only 25 in his debut. Most 25 year olds should be able to play at least 7-10 more years at a productive level. My point is "age only becomes an issue - when it becomes an issue" Profound I know - All that matters is working at being the best at each level you arrive at (A-A+-AA-AAA-MLB). If you do that regardless of age - You will be productive and fans should / will forget about age.

Blog Entries
    Production wins championships & make up

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Age to level-of-competition is certainly a piece of the Prospect equation and it should be. However, I do think that people make a little bit too big of a deal of it, especially with first or second year players. Walker is right where he is and ight where he should be at this stage.

What happens in Elizabethton has a lot to do with things that aren't necessarily baseball related. It's about adjusting to pro ball, the wood bat, etc., but it's also about having their first official job of their career and such. It's a good place for even the college guys.

Walker will move up if he keeps performing. He's playing 19 games in Low A. He wasn't very good the first 10 or so. He's been tremendous the last 5-8 or so. Let's let him sustain that for a little while. He'll likely be promoted at the All Star break at which he'll be like 21.7.

Age is a piece, but it's not one to worry about when you're less than 22 or 23.

Senior Member All-Star
    MLB debut age is not the debate here. Walker has played against more experienced competition for longer than the guys that he is competing against. College players are pretty much expected to do well in rk ball, short season ball and also to an extent in A ball.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast