Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Brett Walker, 3rd round 2012 draft

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Murphy struggled in GCL last yr but jumped over ELIZ/MWL to go directly to Ft Myers.
    He has played well but this makes NO sense, as many will say Walker isnt ready, but Murphy is???.
    Murphy isn't really a prospect. He was already in Florida (no airfare, no logging concerns) and it's only for a short time, not a full time placement. The Twins like Walker, once they promote him they're not sending him back. They want it to feel like a job promotion, not filling in for someone while their gone, that you hire a temp for.

Maybe when Max Kepler is healthy enough to play in CR, Walker will move up.
    BTW, any update on Kepler?

Make no mistake, I absolutely get why they did Murphy.....they are a very cheap organization who fret about airfare/short term team charges. Same reason that Hicks/Arcia didnt get callups in Sept with roster spots open.
    They arent willing to give a real prospect a promotion untill they deem they've payed their dues or reached a certain age (not by actually doin their job). They were afraid Walker will handle Ft Myers before their 'planned' date has arrived.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Make no mistake, I absolutely get why they did Murphy.....they are a very cheap organization who fret about airfare/short term team charges. Same reason that Hicks/Arcia didnt get callups in Sept with roster spots open.
    They arent willing to give a real prospect a promotion untill they deem they've payed their dues or reached a certain age (not by actually doin their job). They were afraid Walker will handle Ft Myers before their 'planned' date has arrived.
    Could be. To be honest I have no idea how someone organizes a business with 7 offices over 6 cities where everyone wants to be transfered to one city but not to the other. Where you need to fire 40 guys a year only to replace them with 40 more right away. Where you need to make arraignments in cities like Cedar Rapids for people to stay in other peoples homes. Or how to deal with top performing employees who start showing promise. How long do you wait? How does demoting someone play with their brain? I'm glad it's not my job. if I worked somewhere like this, I'd just like to know that the company had a plan, what that plan was, and what I can do to make sure I'm part of their plans. I think Walker is doing his job telling the Twins to make him a part of their plans. And the Twins are paying attention.
    Last edited by maxisagod; 05-12-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is pretty ridiculous ovreall, but for some reason, I'm still going to respond. Prospects are the ones that HAVE TO be handled appropriately ,and that's all that matters. Walker was a third round pick LAST YEAR. Obviously they like him a lot. Murphy was in Ft. Myers. He'll be up with the Miracle for maybe a week. No reason to uproot Walker for that time span. Walker will move quickly. He's been good now for almost a month. A couple more weeks and he'll be up, I would think. At latest, it's after the All Star game in mid-June, which is just fine too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Seth. No rush and he needs to just stay consistent until it's time. My question is who will they move throughout system? Especially with the draft approaching prior to all star games. How many drafted position players will shift the balance of the minor league system?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adam Brett Walker named MWL Player of the Week | Cedar Rapids Kernels News

Adam Walker was named the Midwest League Hitter of the Week for the 2nd time this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember that time long ago when it seemed the Twins outfield was going to be too crowded, so they traded away a couple of their major league starters to start making room?

Buxton, Arcia, Hicks (fingers crossed he finds his game again), Kepler, now Walker staking a claim. I think if I was an outfielder I didn't just name in the Twins system I'd be tempted to do something stupid to try and get the Twins to waive/trade me so I could try somebody else's system to have a chance.

His bat is obviously rocking at the moment, but what does Walker look like defensively?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Tell me I am not the only one that assumed Adam Brett Walker II was a 6'4" white guy.

I've heard comments, probably on here, but maybe somewhere else about how it might be difficult for him to keep weight off with his size and build. Could he be a 2015/16 potential solution at 1B?

Seems like he could be a prototypical modern 1B. Masher. OK Average. K rate a little higher than you'd like.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I might have missed the blurb about him keeping the weight off...

The comparison I have always heard is that he is built like a linebacker. I was going to comment that the still photos and videos I have seen make it look like his man-muscles hadn't even filled in yet, and can you imagine how much power he will have when that happens!

So perhaps it is time to appeal to anyone with firsthand knowledge to describe Mr. Walker's build.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    He will be a big guy but I'm not sure 1B is in his future. It's not difficult to move from the IF to the OF but usually guys that end up in the IF (even 1B) moved from other IF positions. Fielding grounders isn't something that you just pick up if you haven't been regularly doing this for several years.

Blog Entries
    For those of you who didn't know - Adam Brett Walker II was a 2nd Team All American at 1B in several (4+) major publications (including Baseball America). I believe he is destined for RF in his early career, but I have no doubt he could play 1B later on in his career. BTW - He hit his 10th HR (Grand Slam) today and now has 44 RBI in 35 Games. And he is buildt like a LB. Not worried about weight issues for some years.

Walker receives first team All-America honors from Perfect Game USA - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This is pretty ridiculous ovreall, but for some reason, I'm still going to respond. Prospects are the ones that HAVE TO be handled appropriately ,and that's all that matters. Walker was a third round pick LAST YEAR. Obviously they like him a lot. Murphy was in Ft. Myers. He'll be up with the Miracle for maybe a week. No reason to uproot Walker for that time span. Walker will move quickly. He's been good now for almost a month. A couple more weeks and he'll be up, I would think. At latest, it's after the All Star game in mid-June, which is just fine too.
    Seth & I disagree on this constantly. Twins admit themselves, they are one of the more conservative teams in moving players thru the system & that drives me crazy. Seth agrees with it & they've had a solid 10 yr run doin it their way. Im not saying rush guys at all, but the 'paint by numbers' approach frustrates me to no end.
    One thing that has come out the past 3 yrs or so is MN is showing that once a hitter reaches AA & produces, that's all the farther a player needs to go. Pitchers are a different story & thats fine. Knowing that, its not as difficult to move thru the system.
    I dont care who disagrees, the reason for keeping Arcia/Hicks away last Sept was money/arbitration/service time driven. If both are up for good (Arcia is IMO/Hicks??), bein up last Sept wouldnt change anything as Arcia is on track for a full season of service time( how it was explained on MLB tv anyways) , even tho he played 9 gms in AAA. Wasted a month of experience that went to Matt Carson.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Well, as long as you don't care who disagrees I guess the case is closed... good thing we don't have to waste any more space arguing with you!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    For those of you who didn't know - Adam Brett Walker II was a 2nd Team All American at 1B in several (4+) major publications (including Baseball America). I believe he is destined for RF in his early career, but I have no doubt he could play 1B later on in his career. BTW - He hit his 10th HR (Grand Slam) today and now has 44 RBI in 35 Games. And he is buildt like a LB. Not worried about weight issues for some years.

Walker receives first team All-America honors from Perfect Game USA - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site
    Good info. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I like this kid more and more each time. The future is bright.

Adam Brett Walker II - Minneapolis TV News Interview
    Byron Buxton's Promising, But Don't Forget Adam Brett Walker | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen

What a great CR team - all around.

Senior Member Triple-A
    After putting up one of the hottest 10-game stretches in recent memory, AB Walker has come back down to earth. In his last 10 games, his triple-slash was just .129/.200/.226, with just a single extra-base hit (HR), and a K-rate of >35%... not all that unusual for a slugger coming off a power binge.

After playing 43 games (161 AB), he is still hitting .284/.335/.580, and leads the league in HR (10) and RBI (45) and is second in total bases (92) to teammate Byron Buxton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    2 HRs in todays game(7-15), now 18 HRs/79 rbis. 5 HRs in past 6 games.

Senior Member Triple-A
    June was a down month for Walker, and he managed an OPS of 'only' .722. However, he did steal 4 bases and got his SO rate back down below 25%.

Now Walker is on another streak... Over his last 14 games (covering July), his triple-slash is .314/.362/.725. He has hit 2D and 6 HR in that time and has already driven in 19 runs.

For the season, Walker is hitting .282/.332/.540, with 20D, 5T, and 18 HR. He has stolen 7 bases without being caught and scored 57 runs. He has driven in 79 runs and, with today's promotion of Hicks, you would imagine that he will be able to take a run at Sano's magic number from last year (100 even; side note, only 2 people reached this milestone in the MWL in the last 6 years, Sano and some 23 yr old nobody. David Winfree was the last Twin to do it in 2005).

He is on the leader board in the following categories (NB, I have left off the Kernels who were promoted):

HR (1st)
    RBI (1st)
    Runs (4th)
    Total Bases (2nd)
    SLG (1st)
    OPS (4th)

Another notable placing (or lack thereof) is that Walker is 17th in the league in strikeouts , and well below 25% SO 'danger' rate (22.6%; 79 in 349 PA).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Walker has had another HOT week, even considering it started with a marathon 0-7 game! After that, he went 10-24 with 2D, 4HR and 9 RBI; which equates to .417/.417/1.000. As you can tell by the equal AVG and OBP, Walker was not true to his name and, indeed, that is the only thing missing in his resume. In 380 PA this year, Walker has only walked 23 times... well below the 10% rate most prospectors would like to see.

For the year, he has hit 22 HR and driven in 88 runs (.286/.332/.560). He remains on the leader board in the following categories:

HR (1st, by 7 HR)
    RBI (1st, by 17 over anyone not named Hicks)
    Runs (4th)
    Total Bases (1st)
    SLG (1st)
    OPS (2nd)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast