Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: International Signing Preview

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: International Signing Preview

Is there any word on where last years big international free agent signing, Amaurys Minier, will be playing. I assume he's in extended spring training, but will he start in the DSL or GCL?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Like Sano, Minier will probably start the year in the DSL, with a chance to make a late-season appearance in the GCL.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    JN, since 2013 is probably going to be the last year without a draft, might it be smarter for the Twins to leverage their big bonus pool and just spam a bunch of international signees? Maybe even, be the buyers in a bonus-pool trade scenario?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    My hope is that they spend most of it but I doubt the Twins sign more than one guy in the 1-2M range.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Awesome article. Nice to know some names before we get to that July signing day. I think a draft would add some extra excitement to the process.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    They have plenty of cash, I hope they use it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Like Sano, Minier will probably start the year in the DSL, with a chance to make a late-season appearance in the GCL.
    IIRC Sano played only a few games in DSL in 2010 and spent most of the season in GCL. Given that the DSL season start before the GCL, I am not sure for how many games Sano was playing in DSL after the GCL season started . Also, IIRC, he made the trip and league change with Jorge Polanco (who was signed that year), so there might have been practical issues like visas to delay the start in GCL.

Bottom line is that if Minier is in FL now, he likely will start in GCL. If not, likely in DSL.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    While the Twins could trade away some International allowence to leverage a better deal from a prospective mid season trade, they also could leverage a better deal the traditional way. Eat some salary of the vet being traded. This team needs to stop looking for new ways to not spend money.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Spend it all or trade it all, i dont care. Just don't leave any money on the table. This is one more asset the Twins get and need to be smart with it. Lots of teams are going to be looking for extra money.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins need to spend this money and maybe more, if the draft starts next year, then we need to buy players for the future. It never hurts to have a great farm system

Senior Member All-Star
    I find the whole idea of a draft really weird. The top 25 or so guys are all well known and scouted by almost every team but after that it seems like the world is too big of a place to adequately cover. Even getting through the 1st rd could result in difficult picks. Would a team use a top ten pick on Luis Gohara even if they didn't have any scouts in Brazil that had seen him play? To what lengths will teams hide players so they don't show up on other team's radars.

I also find this whole slotting thing strange. So basically the Twins can splurge on one really big FA and then only 400ish K on their #2 guy. These are of course recommendations since it's not a hard slotting but it does give the Twins a really good chance at landing on of the top prospects. Half of the teams don't even have an overall bonus pool that matches the Twins 2.25M slot which they can exceed since it is only a recommendation.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    One thing I neglected to mention, the pools in this "free agency" and the pools in the draft work the same, they aren't a "hard" slot. Meaning the Twins could split up their pool in whatever way they would like.

(I posted this after reading the first of kab21's two paragraph's. After reading the second.. yes, he's exactly right. The Twins will definitely be in the mix for whoever they think is the most talented. Something not always possible before.)
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 04-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I think it will really be interesting how clubs go about 'trading' the International signing bonus money... and don't forget that the 'competitive balance' draft picks can also be traded.

As one example, would the Marlins (who are always active in the international market) be willing to trade the 37th pick of the draft (and the ~$1,400,000 slot) for $1.4 million on the international market? Sounds like a nice way for the pitching-starved Twins to take a chance on a polished college pitcher (ala Scott Baker).

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Interesting thought, but it can't happen. International money can only be traded once free agency begins (July 2). In regards to that 37th pick, I believe they acquired it in a trade, and those picks can only be traded once.

It may be possible to hold on to some of the int'l pool until next April, when they could maybe trade it for a comp. balance pick (only tradable during the season).

I like where your head's at though.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    JN, since 2013 is probably going to be the last year without a draft, might it be smarter for the Twins to leverage their big bonus pool and just spam a bunch of international signees? Maybe even, be the buyers in a bonus-pool trade scenario?
    Yeah, that mindset makes sense, though I doubt the Twins add to this pool when they'll already be one of the bigger spenders in the draft. Having such a high pick last year (plus the rest of their picks plus International guys) cost the Twins almost $14 million. (They're not sniffing $10 million most years.) All of that spending might be one of the reasons that the team's payroll was reduced this season.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    IIRC Sano played only a few games in DSL in 2010 and spent most of the season in GCL. Given that the DSL season start before the GCL, I am not sure for how many games Sano was playing in DSL after the GCL season started . Also, IIRC, he made the trip and league change with Jorge Polanco (who was signed that year), so there might have been practical issues like visas to delay the start in GCL.

Bottom line is that if Minier is in FL now, he likely will start in GCL. If not, likely in DSL.
    Sano and Polanco were moved up on July 4. Sano played 20 games before moving to the GCL (who's season starts about a week after the draft) and played 41 there. The Twins won't be any more aggressive with Minier. Maybe 50/50 between the two leagues.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly given the Twins record, they should have been one of the top spenders in FA and landed whatever they liked. I'm a bit disappointed they did not. That said, I hope they either spend their allotment, or trade it for a decent prospect. I have no issue with tem adding part of their bonus pool to another team to get a higher ceiling prospect assuming of course they aren't terribly high on what they'd be signing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Honestly given the Twins record, they should have been one of the top spenders in FA and landed whatever they liked. I'm a bit disappointed they did not. That said, I hope they either spend their allotment, or trade it for a decent prospect. I have no issue with tem adding part of their bonus pool to another team to get a higher ceiling prospect assuming of course they aren't terribly high on what they'd be signing.
    What are you talking about? They have consistently been at least a top ten spender and they landed one of the highest profile prospects of the past decade in Sano. Just because they didn't throw around ridiculous money doesn't mean they failed to target and sign prospects that they liked. I would also note that since 2009 (when I started tracking) they have always signed at least one (and usually two or three) of the top prospects listed by BA and they have been among the best in Australia and the emerging markets in Europe.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    diehard is still believes the Twins are in the pre-Sano (pre-Target Field) mindset. Something changed that year and although I don't recall the Twins spending 1M+ (on one prospect) for a couple of years they were significantly more active internationally after that.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast