Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: International Signing Preview

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Agreed, Bill Smith, thankfully, was the GM that brought them back into spending. I am so happy he was GM when some of these guys were there.....
    I would argue that Bill Smith just happened to be GM when Target Field was approved/opened so he could reap the windfall of increased budgets in all areas of operations. It has stayed at appropriate levels under Ryan and appears it will again this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    They might not link the Twins to any of those players but the Twins have a significantly larger bonus pool to spend than teams like the Yankees, Rangers and A's. At the end of the day it's the money that does the talking regardless of who has been linked to player X.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    While that isn't a surprise but the fact the Twins are not linked to any of the prospects in the article is. The article is riddled with X team is the favorite or Y team has been linked to player Z with no mention of the Twins. This doesn't mean they won't sign one of them but it is a little odd even with the Twins being historically tight lipped.
    I think it is this mostly. The Pirates were the ones supposedly to sign Sano, the Twins were a dark horse in that contest. I remember hearing the Twins attached to the other Cuban defector, OF Darial Alverez, but he does not fall within the rules of the International budget. I'd suspect the tight-lips would apply to guys who would need to be signed out of that pool. Games surely are being played.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Baseball America released this article; Ten International Prospects to Watch for July 2nd.
    Ten International Prospects To Watch For July 2 - BaseballAmerica.com

One thing I noticed was the article said the following, "The Red Sox, Royals, Blue Jays and Twins all have top 10 pool allotments and should all be in the mix to sign seven-figure players this year." While that isn't a surprise but the fact the Twins are not linked to any of the prospects in the article is. The article is riddled with X team is the favorite or Y team has been linked to player Z with no mention of the Twins. This doesn't mean they won't sign one of them but it is a little odd even with the Twins being historically tight lipped.
    They have 4M to spend. I personally don't care if they spread it out or go after 2 or 3 upper tier guys, but quite honestly, if the kid's position is P, SS, or C, they ought to be in on him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think it is this mostly. The Pirates were the ones supposedly to sign Sano, the Twins were a dark horse in that contest. I remember hearing the Twins attached to the other Cuban defector, OF Darial Alverez, but he does not fall within the rules of the International budget. I'd suspect the tight-lips would apply to guys who would need to be signed out of that pool. Games surely are being played.
    This is true, but the Twins WERE linked to Sano. Granted the Pirates were considered the front runners, but those of us following it knew that Minnesota had interest, though admittedly, few thought it would happen. This is my concern with not hearing the Twins. I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't spend that money. This may be the last shot they get to really go after top end talent, and the cash is use or lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This is true, but the Twins WERE linked to Sano. Granted the Pirates were considered the front runners, but those of us following it knew that Minnesota had interest, though admittedly, few thought it would happen. This is my concern with not hearing the Twins. I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't spend that money. This may be the last shot they get to really go after top end talent, and the cash is use or lose it.
    Just curious, was this board around when Sano signed? If so, what was the reaction like?

Blog Entries
    This board wasn't here. I was on BYTO when that happened. People were quite happy about it.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Darren Wolfson:

Radcliff on the international free agent market, which opens July 2: "It has depth. There a lot of position players we like. There's enough pitching. We have the fourth-most money to spend. We are a major player." One player the Twins like is Dominican outfielder Lewin Diaz.
    Last edited by InfraRen; 05-31-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    Just curious, was this board around when Sano signed? If so, what was the reaction like?
    Twinkie Town (and Pirates version Bucs Dugout) were pretty vocal about it. Pirate fans were absolutely crushed. The ESPN boards, back when they were good, had some stuff on it too. I never posted at BYTO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm sorry I can't find the link but I just read something that said the Twins looked like they'd be the most aggressive team in the intl market this year. I thought it was on baseball america but I can't find it .... sorry. Anyhow, the Twins have made a few nice signings since Sano - Felix Jorge and Mineras (sp) last year. They've been linked to all the big guys already so it should be a fun signing period for us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'm sorry I can't find the link but I just read something that said the Twins looked like they'd be the most aggressive team in the intl market this year. I thought it was on baseball america but I can't find it .... sorry. Anyhow, the Twins have made a few nice signings since Sano - Felix Jorge and Mineras (sp) last year. They've been linked to all the big guys already so it should be a fun signing period for us.
    I was referencing an article posted earlier where the Twins were never mentioned. I do hope you are right. That money is use or lose, so they may as well spend it and stock pile the farm system with anyone that has a reasonably high ceiling.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    "Hi, I may be a twin in July!" - Lewin Diaz

Dude is 16 years old, and does NOT much smaller than David Ortiz. Been given an early comp to Ryan Howard attributes and body-wise:

Click http://dplbaseball.com/scouts-corner...-diaz-of-2013/
    Last edited by InfraRen; 05-31-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would they deal some of their pool away in the deepest year in a long time? Why is this "more likely".

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They have an allotment greater than what they typically spend, so it's more likely that they trade some away than add more, especially when teams that like to spend don't have it available. It's an asset that they should use and I'm not opposed to it being used as a trade chip.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    They have an allotment greater than what they typically spend, so it's more likely that they trade some away than add more, especially when teams that like to spend don't have it available. It's an asset that they should use and I'm not opposed to it being used as a trade chip.
    FWIW this is your speculation. It's a deep year apparently and the MLB payroll is down significantly. The last time MLB payroll was significantly down was the year Sano, Kepler and Polanco signed IIRC. People insisted then that draft budgets and salary budgets are separate but I don't think that was a coincidence. We will see but I think the Twins will spend all of it this year. A trade of some of it wouldn't be shocking either in a deadline deal to get a better prospect back though.

Ben Badler at BA just posted some tidbits about July 2 and the buzz surrounding some of the prospects. But, it's behind the money wall. Is anyone a member or read anything lately?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    I don't but good timing bringing this thread back up. It should be a hot one now that the draft is over.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere on the site but the Twins appear to be one of the 7 suitors for Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. He is 26 and Cuban so he doesn't qualify for the international signing rules. This obviously could put the Twins at a disadvantage as they don't generally out bid other team for free agents but it's worth keeping an eye on. He's supposed to have a workout for June 20th.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read it this morning. There are six names mentioned. Three linked to teams (none being named the Twins) and three who aren't.

Gonzalez is an interesting name to follow. But you're right... "out-bidding" teams isn't a specialty of the Twins. (Unless we're talking about Nishioka, which we'd all rather forget.) It would be a quite a coup if the Twins could get something done with the Cuban (especially with the Dodgers always lurking).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Like others have said, I hope the Twins take full advantage of their international signing pool asset, one way or another.
    In regards to the original article. The situation with the Rangers and Jairo Beras seems RIDICULOUSLY SHADY. I can't believe that MLB approved the deal, the Rangers didn't face any punishments, and Beras only had to sit out a year (which in reality amounted to only about a month). In another article on BA, Badler discusses another player with a similar situation and says this at the end of the article:
    "If Aybar would have tried to copy Beras, it appears unlikely that MLB would have approved his contract. Then again, major league rules indicate that the league shouldn’t have approved Beras’ contract either, so while it probably would have been a longshot, it’s hard to say for certain that it wouldn’t have worked."
    Should 'Obispo Aybar' Have Tried To Copy Jairo Beras ...
    Last edited by Pitz; 06-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't but good timing bringing this thread back up. It should be a hot one now that the draft is over.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere on the site but the Twins appear to be one of the 7 suitors for Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. He is 26 and Cuban so he doesn't qualify for the international signing rules. This obviously could put the Twins at a disadvantage as they don't generally out bid other team for free agents but it's worth keeping an eye on. He's supposed to have a workout for June 20th.
    He wouldn't likely need much time in the minors, fills a position of need for the next wave, and doesn't count against the cap... This, to me, is a no brainer... Then again, I'd have thought going after that Cuban SS would be a no brainer as well.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast