Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Accelerating the Rebuild Timeline

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good article, though some analysis of the infield over the next few years would help.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Good article, though some analysis of the infield over the next few years would help.
    This article is well written and encouraging.

Like Shane, I wonder about the infield, but at the moment I am hopeful that Dozier will provide a solution at 2B, and I like how Escobar seems to come through in the clutch. Also, Eddie Rosario seems promising -- maybe he will be ready to come up at the same time as Sano?

Obviously there is a lot that might go wrong -- injuries, setbacks and failures to adjust to a promotion. But I think that Nick has made a credible case for the proposition that the Twins could be an elite team within a very few years.

One final point -- it might be wise to try to acquire some high ceiling catching prospects, because no one know how long Mauer will hold up at that position and Doumit seems like a temporary solution.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the premise of this article. The next contending team doesn't need to be far away, and Mauer's window is soon.

If the Twins trade Morneau and Willingham...perhaps landing a SS prospect (Texas has three legit SS prospects, I think) and SP prospect, and grab a college arm in the draft, that could be three more pieces for a quick rebuild.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I agree with the premise of this article. The next contending team doesn't need to be far away, and Mauer's window is soon.

If the Twins trade Morneau and Willingham...perhaps landing a SS prospect (Texas has three legit SS prospects, I think) and SP prospect, and grab a college arm in the draft, that could be three more pieces for a quick rebuild.

There's been a couple time that I've thought it would be great if the Twins could get one of the Rangers SS prospects. However, I think the Rangers have their sights set much higher than Morneau and Willingham. I highly doubt that they will move any of their top prospects while Stanton and Price are potentially on the trading block.

I believe Mauer was fully healthy last year as well and had an awesome year. Great WAR, best OPS around, 300+ average. Now he is off to another great start. Nobody is blabbing that HE HAS to move from catcher and/or his career is in jeapordy. Still there is whining - He doesn't hit enough homers, he walks to much instead of going for the big hit and he doesn't play enough at catcher. Bleh.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
    I believe Mauer was fully healthy last year as well and had an awesome year. Great WAR, best OPS around, 300+ average. Now he is off to another great start. Nobody is blabbing that HE HAS to move from catcher and/or his career is in jeapordy. Still there is whining - He doesn't hit enough homers, he walks to much instead of going for the big hit and he doesn't play enough at catcher. Bleh.
    The dude gets on base 44% of the time and has a .959 OPS, anyone who would whine about that is a moron and should probably not bring children into this world.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The dude gets on base 44% of the time and has a .959 OPS, anyone who would whine about that is a moron and should probably not bring children into this world.
    One of these days you're going to quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add to that the fact that Aaron Hicks and Brian Dozier are finally emerging from their early season batting slumps, and things are looking bright indeed.

Dare I say, "dynasty?"

On a more serious note, I watch baseball for the entertainment value, not just to see the team win all the time. Things usually go wrong even with the best laid plans, but meanwhile it will be fun watching the new kids and the veterans cause a ruckus in the division.

This season I look forward to witnessing some good defensive plays, while the new kid, Arcia, brings some much-needed power to this previously punch-less platoon. It was a good sign that his first home run landed near the base of the same flag pole that Jim Thome hit on Memorial Day a few years back. Good hit, kid.

Of course, Thome hit the top of that flag pole... ;-)
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 04-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
    I believe Mauer was fully healthy last year as well and had an awesome year. Great WAR, best OPS around, 300+ average. Now he is off to another great start.
    I think youíre mostly right, but I didnít get the sense that Mauer fully had his strength back over the first couple months last year. I mean, he was slugging .399 on June 1. In the latter part of the season he really seemed to hit his stride and added eight more homers the rest of the way, which is a relatively high number for him. This year heís already gone deep twice Ė he didnít hit his second homer until May 24 last year. Heís also playing catcher a lot more than he did last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    There's been a couple time that I've thought it would be great if the Twins could get one of the Rangers SS prospects. However, I think the Rangers have their sights set much higher than Morneau and Willingham. I highly doubt that they will move any of their top prospects while Stanton and Price are potentially on the trading block.
    Profar/Andrus are completely out of the question but toolsy A ball prospects (Sardinas and Odor) are in play for guys like Willingham and Morneau. That of course depends on guys like Cruz and Berkman suffering their yearly injuries while Willingham and/or Morneau stay healthy and hit the ball.

I think the key that makes the accelerating title work is that Sano/Buxton/Rosario look like they could play at 2 levels this year while Meyer looks like he could become at least an ace-lite for the Twins.

Aside from Kepler's injury the only prospect disappointments have been hicks and Mays although I was hoping for more from Gibson.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems like we've lost more dice rolls the last few years (injuries, SP failures, etc) than we've won. With the pipeline that's in place, we'll be a serious contender if a few of these prospects turn into boxcars (12's).

We've seen teams like the Royals struggle to turn a well-regarded farm system into MLB wins, so let's just hope we have enough rolls of the dice and can make the transition...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think you’re mostly right, but I didn’t get the sense that Mauer fully had his strength back over the first couple months last year. I mean, he was slugging .399 on June 1. In the latter part of the season he really seemed to hit his stride and added eight more homers the rest of the way, which is a relatively high number for him. This year he’s already gone deep twice – he didn’t hit his second homer until May 24 last year. He’s also playing catcher a lot more than he did last year.
    Yep. I think we'll see a return of the dominant Joe Mauer this season if he stays healthy. He struggled (by Joe Mauer's standards) early last season before picking it up.

He probably won't put up 2009 numbers but I think he can improve slightly on his 2010 numbers, which were still pretty outstanding considering how Target Field played that season.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I agree that this could be a good team pretty soon. I don't like to use words like contender because that depends on a lot of things that are not under control. One key is health, especially health of the young pitchers (and of Mauer). A rotation of Meyer, May, Gibson, Diamond and whoever takes the fifth spot doesn't look too bad. As for the infield, if the team looks good, you can always plug a hole with a free agent. By the way, I know it is too early to say, but Escobar is looking better and better.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post

I watch baseball for the entertainment value, not just to see the team win all the time. Things usually go wrong even with the best laid plans, but meanwhile it will be fun watching the new kids and the veterans cause a ruckus in the division.
    I couldn't agree more... You and I are seemingly part of a very small club though.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think you’re mostly right, but I didn’t get the sense that Mauer fully had his strength back over the first couple months last year. I mean, he was slugging .399 on June 1. In the latter part of the season he really seemed to hit his stride and added eight more homers the rest of the way, which is a relatively high number for him. This year he’s already gone deep twice – he didn’t hit his second homer until May 24 last year. He’s also playing catcher a lot more than he did last year.
    Ding ding! It's nice to see him fully healthy, and other than a dreadful series in Kansas City Joe has been on fire.

It's amazing how much better this team is when he is producing like that. We all like to nitpick the ever living **** out of everything on here and its nice to be reminded that, hey at least we have one of the best catchers of all time playing for us!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    For an early rebuild into contention this team still needs another close to MLB ready top of the rotation arm. Considering free agency will never be an option for this, the only alternatives would be to get lucky with a college arm early in the draft or get good value in a trade. It will be hard to justify trading a guy like Willingham however if this team remains marginally competitive though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    If the Twins end up with Mauer and a bunch of guys making the MLB min on offense then FA is definitely an option to acquire an ace. That's the benefit of having a bunch of prospects grouped closely together.

I already know that you will use the old 'the Twins have never spent a lot of money in FA' excuse but the Twins have only recently had a payroll above the league average. Since Target Field opened they have had payrolls full of moderately expensive vets (no payroll room) or an absolutely awful team where splurging big doesn't make sense at all.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Looks like wishful thinking to me. Pitching depth is still very poor- pitchers get hurt, or struggle once promoted to the Majors. The Twins don't have much in the way of catching or middle infield prospects. Prospects in general are risky bets, even highly-rated ones.

There is potential to turn things around in the foreseeable future, but it is dependent on unknown events (e.g., the #4 pick in the draft, future trades, etc.). The Twins' recent performance doesn't really inspire complete confidence in a flawless rebuild.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I hope it is accelrated. I have no interest in 5 years of futility......

But I think the margin for error is tiny. Every prospect has to work out. An actual good FA has to hit the market, and they have to sign him. There just isn't a lot of backup plan (and in some cases, there is no real primary plan).

Let's hope they do somehow accelerate things. It would be more fun that way.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast