Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Casilla is hurt - then what?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    The thing about starting Hughes is that the Twins would have to get a backup utility infielder who can play SS. Otherwise, the backup is Plouffe.
    Hughes can't play SS, so I don't think him starting at 2B would really change the need for a backup SS. Casilla being hurt may increase the chance of needing a backup SS, since I think as of now he is the backup there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think Hughes will be the Twins starting second baseman, if not on opening day then whenever Casilla has the first of his injuries this year. I expect that once he gets the starting job, Hughes ain't giving it back! If he can get 500ab, I see him hitting 20+ home runs with a .270-.280 average. He will also play solid, but not spectacular defense.
    I think it is more likely Hughes will be dropped from the roster sometime this year and return to the minors without anyone picking him up. There is little in his minor league record to suggest that he will hit well in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think it is more likely Hughes will be dropped from the roster sometime this year and return to the minors without anyone picking him up. There is little in his minor league record to suggest that he will hit well in the majors.
    Agreed. It is nice to think that Hughes may have figured things out, but people are basing it off of 2 nice spring trainings. The last time he hit above .250 was in 2008 in AA-AAA and he's never hit more than 18 home runs in a season, I'm not sure where the .280 20+ home run predictions come from.

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There is absolutely no concern about Casilla.
    My concerns about Casilla: he's got 1400+ PAs of .252/.310/.337 under his belt, can't seem to stay healthy, is nothing special defensively, and has an uncanny knack for coming up with head-scratchingly boneheaded plays at the worst possible times.

You're probably correct about his current health, though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There is absolutely no concern about Casilla. He will be able to start the season with the Twins
    I think it's safe to say that sentence has never been uttered before.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    Agreed. It is nice to think that Hughes may have figured things out, but people are basing it off of 2 nice spring trainings. The last time he hit above .250 was in 2008 in AA-AAA and he's never hit more than 18 home runs in a season, I'm not sure where the .280 20+ home run predictions come from.
    He's also been injured for good portions of the following 3 years... I agree that there should be tempered expectations, but let's not pretend there isn't potential there... and it isn't like he's replacing Robinson Cano either...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12