Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 255

Thread: One Stop Shop for the 2013 Draft.

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,625
    Like
    513
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    That's about all he says, Nick.
    Lighten up Francis....

  2. #42
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    434
    Like
    8
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotmike View Post
    This is the first comment that mentions that Kris Bryant might play first base. Is this an option? The Twins have no legit answer long term at first. Maybe Travis Harrison but I see him as a Parmalee clone with limited ceiling.
    I've read it in several scouting reports. They also mention the OF, but not many call him even an "average" third baseman.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

  3. #43
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

    Jason Churchill at ESPN wrote about the 2nd tier of college pitchers. I guess he mentions Manea, Stanek and Eads. The article is summed up at MLBTR and it says that Churchill states Manea would likely be the first of the second tier to go (duh) and he could go to the Rockies at #3, the Indians at #5 or the Red Sox at #7.

    I'm curious why he does not think he is a possibity for the Twins at #4. Is it due to the team's track record with drafting position players, or does he know something we don't. It's an insider article and I'm not paying ESPN any more than my cable bill dictates so I don't have more info on the piece.
    I chalked that one up to "Churchill isn't very good at his 'job'."

  4. #44
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I've read it in several scouting reports. They also mention the OF, but not many call him even an "average" third baseman.
    If the Twins draft Bryant, 1B would be the "back-up plan". They view him as "less than 50/50" sticking at 3B. They don't need another option in the corner OF and playing him at 1B probably gets his bat into the bigs the quickest. He could probably handle an outfield corner in a (slightly better than) Delmon sortaway. But with an organizational opening (potentially) at first base, why not.

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,536
    Like
    0
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

    Jason Churchill at ESPN wrote about the 2nd tier of college pitchers. I guess he mentions Manea, Stanek and Eads. The article is summed up at MLBTR and it says that Churchill states Manea would likely be the first of the second tier to go (duh) and he could go to the Rockies at #3, the Indians at #5 or the Red Sox at #7.

    I'm curious why he does not think he is a possibity for the Twins at #4. Is it due to the team's track record with drafting position players, or does he know something we don't. It's an insider article and I'm not paying ESPN any more than my cable bill dictates so I don't have more info on the piece.
    Churchill did a write up on McGuire today and he ended with this:

    "At present, McGuire is an above-average runner, but speed is not likely to be a part of his game in pro ball. He's committed to San Diego, but he's a first-round talent and almost certain to sign. He's looked the part of a late first-round pick for me, but it only takes one club to like him a lot more than that and he could be gone in the top half of the round, with Minnesota at No. 4 the highest I've heard."

    This is the second time has link McGuire to the Twins in the past week and I just can't see the Twins taking him that high. McGuire isnt a bad prospect but i really cant see the Twins grabbing a HS catcher at 4 with all the arms and toolsy outfielders around. As Jeremy said just chalk this up to Churchill not being good at his job.

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,536
    Like
    0
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    If you draft Bryant at 4 you are doing it for his bat and his bat definitely will play at 1st.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,171
    Like
    19
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    As Jeremy said just chalk this up to Churchill not being good at his job.
    Can't argue with that, unless someone else thinks grabbing the 2nd best HS catcher at #4 is a good move.

  8. #48
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,171
    Like
    19
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    If you draft Bryant at 4 you are doing it for his bat and his bat definitely will play at 1st.
    I agree. It's similar to my confusion why some people see Frazier as a better bat but would rather have Meadows simply because he has a slight chance of playing CF. If you're picking offense at #4, pick the best bat, don't qualify based on position.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    19
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I chalked that one up to "Churchill isn't very good at his 'job'."
    He could simply be talking to different Twins scouts than you are. I'm guessing the Twins scouting staff haven't all sat down yet and compared notes.

    That being said, I think he's off on McGuire. Somebody simply might have said they liked him better than Denny (McGuire does have a better arm and is strong on defense in general) and he took it as the Twins would consider drafting him at 4.

    Like it's been mentioned above, if a team is taking a guy like Bryant they are taking him for his bat, the same should hold true for Denny IF someone thinks he's the best prep bat (but I don't think that's the Twins).

  10. #50
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    You are probably right. But you don't have to talk to scouts to know that the Twins would prefer a college pitcher. I can't remember if Ryan or Antony said it flat-out (maybe it was both).

    I'm on board with cmb0252's thinking: Appel, Gray, Manaea, Bryant or Stewart. (Though not necessarily in that order.)

  11. #51
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,977
    Like
    1,060
    Liked 1,261 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm on board with cmb0252's thinking: Appel, Gray, Manaea, Bryant or Stewart. (Though not necessarily in that order.)
    Since the Twins pick 4th, and it's nearly certain that the first three players picked are in this list, I think we kind of need an ordering here.

  12. #52
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    I have some news that deserves a thread of its own. We'll call it a curveball, stay tuned...

  13. #53
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,536
    Like
    0
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I have some news that deserves a thread of its own. We'll call it a curveball, stay tuned...
    Consider me tuned. Hopefully it is good news.

  14. #54
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    107
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man I wish there was a way the Twins could get Gray or Appel. We need a top of the line arm.

  15. #55
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    That being said, I think he's off on McGuire. Somebody simply might have said they liked him better than Denny (McGuire does have a better arm and is strong on defense in general) and he took it as the Twins would consider drafting him at 4.

    Like it's been mentioned above, if a team is taking a guy like Bryant they are taking him for his bat, the same should hold true for Denny IF someone thinks he's the best prep bat (but I don't think that's the Twins).
    More on McGuire vs Denney: Twins view McGuire as more complete package; Denney with more power. Consider McGuire mid-first round, Denney back-half of first round.

    Interesting, yes. But sounds about right considering how the Twins operate. Sounds like Pittsburgh (who drafts 9 and 14) likes McGuire. I have my eyes on a different prep catcher, who I'll reveal in my next draft post, potentially this weekend.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    19
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    More on McGuire vs Denney: Twins view McGuire as more complete package; Denney with more power. Consider McGuire mid-first round, Denney back-half of first round.

    Interesting, yes. But sounds about right considering how the Twins operate. Sounds like Pittsburgh (who drafts 9 and 14) likes McGuire. I have my eyes on a different prep catcher, who I'll reveal in my next draft post, potentially this weekend.
    Yep I'm sure they like Meadows over Frazier for the same reason. I'm guessing McGuire goes 9. Pittsburgh needs a pick they can sign there otherwise they lose the pick.

  17. #57
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,644
    Like
    0
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Yep I'm sure they like Meadows over Frazier for the same reason. I'm guessing McGuire goes 9. Pittsburgh needs a pick they can sign there otherwise they lose the pick.
    Compensation protection is two years now. Regardless, McGuire to Pitt has steam.

  18. #58
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,536
    Like
    0
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Twins 9th round pick last year, only twins draftee that didn't sign in the first 10 rounds, L.J Mazzilli has had a pretty solid year. He isn't going to go in the first few rounds but he should go much higher than the 9th round.

  19. #59
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,536
    Like
    0
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Article from Mayo at mlb.com, Who's No. 1? Six leading candidate s for the first draft pick. Article below:

    Who's No. 1? Six leading candidates for the first pick in 2013 First-Year Player Draft | MLB.com: News

    Two things surprise me.
    1) He has Manaea in the conversation for #1.
    2) He doesn't have Stewart in the mix even though some people have link the Astros to them.
    While I still think the Astros will take Appel or Gray it is an interesting read.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    557
    Like
    4
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Based on recent developments regarding Manaea, if the Twins still want a pitcher, they pretty much have to take Stewart right?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.