Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 2012 Twins Predictions: Joe Mauer will... (Position)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

2012 Twins Predictions: Joe Mauer will... (Position)

Catch 111 games, play 1B 27 games, DH 12 games. That puts him at 150 games played. I would be good with that breakdown.

This thread is do discuss where Joe Mauer will play throughout the 2012 season. I guess for the negatives you can predict some DL time or whatever. But think about how much he'll catch, play 1B, DH, get days off, maybe get another game in RF, wherever.

What are your predictions.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that Mauer has played more than 140 games in his career only once (and never more than 146) I think the 150 projection is a little aggressive. I'd be happy with 130 games played, with around 90 of them at catcher.

Maybe they get more games from Mauer if he catches less but 90 for him means 70 for the backup. If they go only 2 catchers, that might be a high number for Doumit behind the plate. I predict 100 catching, 30 at 1st and 15 or so at DH

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    I think considering we finally have a backup that can hit some, and plans for Mourneau to DH more frequently, we're more likely to see Mauer at C less than 100 games and probably start at first 40-50 times allowing them to ease Parmalee in. If my thoughts hold true, and no freak injuries occur, we could certainly see him playing 150 games for the first time in his career.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    95 games at catcher
    35 games at first base
    5 games in right field
    135 Total Games

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    95 games at catcher
    25 at 1st base
    5 at 3rd base
    15 at DH

I predict Mauer will play zero games in right field. Zero. We have six players that can play the outfield. Last year, Mauer started in right because there was no one else who could. Mauer will not be needed in the outfield; if he's not catching, DHing, or manning first, he'll actually sit.

What I do hope Gardenhire has learned from TK is: don't sit Mauer at home. If he's not going to catch a day-game after a night-game, put him at first or DH. He's the "hometown boy;" the fans are basically the ones paying his salary, he's the one all the kids and girls want to see play, so play him. TK has said he would never sit Kirby at home; he'd wait until they were on the road. (Which might explain why the Twins' home record in the 'Dome is so very, very good.)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have 15 scheduled days off, 10 of which are following a day game after a night game. 31 day games after night games, using 1:00 start time as the justifier. Mauer should catch 120-130 games and another 20 games at 1B/DH.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Win a fourth batting title.