Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft: The Mocks

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Scout.com: MLB Mock Draft v1.0

Scout.com's first mock. Has Twins taking Frazier and Stanek and Manaea falling pretty far. I think Frazier is supposed to be the high power GA outfielder and Meadows is the all around player? I think.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Here are the #4 picks from the past 10 years:

Adam Loewen
    Tim Stauffer
    Jeff Niemann
    Ryan Zimmerman
    Brad Lincoln
    Daniel Moskos
    Brian Matusz
    Tony Sanchez
    Christian Colon
    Dylan Bundy
    Kevin Gausman

What this says to me is - if you can get a quality Major Leaguer at #4, be happy. Other than Zimmerman, the position players have underachieved, while the pitchers have mostly gotten hurt (too early to say on the ultimate results for the more recent picks).

This is of course not to say there's anything in particular about the #4 spot, but just that the draft is risky in general. I'd probably rather the Twins make an under-slot deal at #4 and build depth later, but if they really like Frazier there's nothing wrong with taking him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post

Scout.com's first mock. Has Twins taking Frazier and Stanek and Manaea falling pretty far. I think Frazier is supposed to be the high power GA outfielder and Meadows is the all around player? I think.
    Thanks for the link! Updated now.

Senior Member All-Star

And yeah, Meadows is the toolsy one while Frazier profiles as a power hitting COF. I would actually be OK with taking Frazier. Players with his kind of bat speed dont show up often.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-08-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post

And yeah, Meadows is the toolsy one while Frazier profiles as a power hitting COF. I would actually be OK with taking Frazier. Players with his kind of bat speed to show up often.
    I honestly haven't been keeping up to date on the GA outfielders. I'd been so convinced the Twins wouldn't go there but now I'm starting to wonder. The area scout we have is really good and the Twins have shown that they want BPA over need so if they think Frazier (or someone else) is the guy, they'll grab him and worry about pitching later.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post

And yeah, Meadows is the toolsy one while Frazier profiles as a power hitting COF. I would actually be OK with taking Frazier. Players with his kind of bat speed to show up often.
    Though Frazier does seem to be an all-or-nothing slugger. Aside from Jim Thome, he is not in the Twins preferred mold of hitting. I like him more than Meadows but if he ends up being a high K kind of guy, he may never even make it to the big leagues in this organization.

Braden Shipley is growing on me too. He's got to be the number 3 college arm at this time. Keith Law says he has a plus fastball but thinks his changeup will end up being his best pitch. I know that would interest the Twins.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Braden Shipley is growing on me too. He's got to be the number 3 college arm at this time. Keith Law says he has a plus fastball but thinks his changeup will end up being his best pitch. I know that would interest the Twins.
    Shoot. The one double-header I got down to Reno to see, and Shipley wasn't pitching. I had meant to get down there once more, with him in mind, but I'm heading out of town for a couple of weeks and it ain't gonna happen. TD is going to have to suffer without my in-person scouting report.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Though Frazier does seem to be an all-or-nothing slugger. Aside from Jim Thome, he is not in the Twins preferred mold of hitting. I like him more than Meadows but if he ends up being a high K kind of guy, he may never even make it to the big leagues in this organization.
    Just because he will probably end up in a corner doesn't mean that he's an all or nothing slugger. I think Frazier is fairly athletic and could be part of a good OF defense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Just because he will probably end up in a corner doesn't mean that he's an all or nothing slugger. I think Frazier is fairly athletic and could be part of a good OF defense.
    I'm not sure where this is coming from, are you replying to a different post or did you assume that I assume all corner outfielders are all-or-nothing sluggers?

Either way, he's a grip it and rip it kind of guy, they tend to strike out a lot. Jonathan Mayo has the same concerns:

Who's No. 1? Six leading candidates for the first pick in 2013 First-Year Player Draft | astros.com: News

Senior Member All-Star
    Added a second mock from bleacher report which has the Twins taking Meadows.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Jim Callis from BA
    4. TWINS: A year ago, Minnesota badly needed pitching but used the No. 2 overall choice on outfielder Byron Buxton, the 2012 draft’s top-rated prospect. While the Twins aren’t as desperate now, they’re still looking at arms. Stewart comes with more risk but similar ceiling to Appel and Gray. Manaea and Ball are other options. Rumors persist that Minnesota could cut a deal with Washington high school catcher Reese McGuire and spend heavily further down in the draft.
    PROJECTED PICK: KOHL STEWART.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Thanks for the post! I will add BAs mock to the list!

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Reese McGwire pops up again. Certainly some smoke there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Ugh, at this point you have to believe they are in on him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Wouldn't surprise me if the Twins cut a deal and then pocketed the savings.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Or cut a deal and sign Ryan Boldt with their 2nd pick above slot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Under Carl Pohlad, I'd believe that but I'll give his sons some benefit of the doubt. Not much, but some. But if we don't spend all our allocated draft amount after dropping payroll ....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I think Shipley will be the pick and I agree with you that the fastball-changeup mix will be what interests the Twins. I think they will see Manaea as a higher upside player, but they have been burned now with injured college arms that they will pass on him. The Georgia outfielders are intriguing, but the would prefer Meadows and I see a little bit of Joe Benson in him myself.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I think I would like to see them target Shipley underslot. McGuire doesn't really do it for me. That just seems like a Tony Sanchez (although a college C) pick.

I really hope they don't reach on McGuire. Just take the best player.

Here's a Mock Draft Database BTW:
    2013 Major League Baseball Mock Draft Database

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast