Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sickels says:
    One of these guys:
    Gray or Appel or Bryant or Frazier
    So that probably means Frazier

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Updated the list with sports illustrated's mock.

Senior Member All-Star
    Hmm.....the guy who did the sports illustrated mock has very....interesting takes on players. He mentions before the mock he has Frazier as the #1 prospect in the draft. Here is his right up for the twins and Frazier:

The Twins are building an excellent core of young position players in Trevor Plouffe, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmalee and last year's number two overall pick, outfielder Byron Buxton. Adding Frazier could give Minnesota the best and most athletic outfield in the majors in five years time. He has legitimate five-tool talent, possesses electric bat speed and is tremendously fast, which allows him to steal bases and be an outstanding defensive player. His closest major league comparison is probably Pirates star Andrew McCutchen.

I have never seen a Frazier-McCutchen comparison before. Interesting

Read More: MLB Mock Draft: Gray looks like best bet at No. 1 -- for now - MLB - SI.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Hmm.....the guy who did the sports illustrated mock has very....interesting takes on players. He mentions before the mock he has Frazier as the #1 prospect in the draft. Here is his right up for the twins and Frazier:

The Twins are building an excellent core of young position players in Trevor Plouffe, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmalee and last year's number two overall pick, outfielder Byron Buxton. Adding Frazier could give Minnesota the best and most athletic outfield in the majors in five years time. He has legitimate five-tool talent, possesses electric bat speed and is tremendously fast, which allows him to steal bases and be an outstanding defensive player. His closest major league comparison is probably Pirates star Andrew McCutchen.

I have never seen a Frazier-McCutchen comparison before. Interesting

Read More: MLB Mock Draft: Gray looks like best bet at No. 1 -- for now - MLB - SI.com
    Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that report either. Plouffe and Parmelee aren't exactly exciting players to build around.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that report either. Plouffe and Parmelee aren't exactly exciting players to build around.
    I feel like this guy does not know what he is talking about. Plouffe and Parmalee are not building blocks. Also, how can you mention Hicks w/o Arcia? Buxton w/o Sano or Rosario? Frazier scare me because he I so unique. I have read multiple times that he doesn't really have an MLB comp. Plus the dude is a red head. STAY AWAY FROM REDHEADS. Challenge: Name a ginger who is at least a second division player other than Leeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Ford?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Challenge: Name a ginger who is at least a second division player other than Leeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Ford?
    Amy Pond.

Oh, wait, you're talking about baseball?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    River Song...

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel like this guy does not know what he is talking about. Plouffe and Parmalee are not building blocks. Also, how can you mention Hicks w/o Arcia? Buxton w/o Sano or Rosario? Frazier scare me because he I so unique. I have read multiple times that he doesn't really have an MLB comp. Plus the dude is a red head. STAY AWAY FROM REDHEADS. Challenge: Name a ginger who is at least a second division player other than Leeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Ford?
    He was only naming guys who had been drafted, hence the others are not named. Silly to not do that, but I believe that is why.

And nowhere does it say Parmelee and Plouffe are building blocks, just part of their younger core already in the majors, which is true. I guess I dont take core to mean they are surefire guys that will be here forever.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    an excellent core of young position players
    And in regard to the other comments following this, he did not quite say the same thing as "a core of excellent young position players".

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Inning Stretch View Post
    He was only naming guys who had been drafted, hence the others are not named. Silly to not do that, but I believe that is why.

And nowhere does it say Parmelee and Plouffe are building blocks, just part of their younger core already in the majors, which is true. I guess I dont take core to mean they are surefire guys that will be here forever.
    Rosario was drafted by the Twins not?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario was drafted by the Twins not?
    Sorry, meant first round picks. I think the thinking behind the comment was they have drafted well in the first round with position players sans Michael in the last 10 years since Plouffe.

If he was going anywhere else with it, it doesnt make sense.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The key word with these guys is "Could". They could be building blocks. They could be place holders. The nice thing about having little expectation is that the Twins can trot them out every day for the next year or two and get a decent idea if they are worth keeping or worth trading as the next wave arrives.

Given the need and where the Twin's lack, my gut says Plouffe eventually finds his way back to short where he can provide an above average bat and enough years of experience that the jitters are gone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Since he concludes his thought with, "Adding Frazier could give Minnesota the best and most athletic outfield in the majors in five years time." I think he was only mentioning other potential pieces of that OF with some name recognition so his national audience could relate to his writing. The only big missing piece of the OF puzzle was Arcia and he isn't exactly a big name at this point outside of Twins circles where as Hicks spent the entire spring training being fawned over by many major media sources.
    Last edited by Oxtung; 05-11-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Inning Stretch View Post
    Sorry, meant first round picks. I think the thinking behind the comment was they have drafted well in the first round with position players sans Michael in the last 10 years since Plouffe.

If he was going anywhere else with it, it doesnt make sense.
    Hat is exactly what he meant. Now that u say that I get it. They have drafted position players who have at least kade it to the bi

Senior Member All-Star
    John Sickels put out his Mock draft today and I believe Law is putting one out today too. If Law does I will add it when it comes out but for now here is Sickels mock:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...sickels-may-16

Senior Member All-Star
    Keith Law released his first mock draft:

Houston Astros do not take Mark Appel in first mock draft of 2013 - MLB Draft - ESPN

It is behind the money wall but here is what he says about the Twins pick, Stewart in this mock;

"They've been very heavy on Stewart over his last few outings, and he's an ideal fit for a system that needs high-upside pitchers, with Stewart offering the athleticism the Twins have always favored in position players.
    There is a persistent rumor that the Twins will cut a deal with prep catcher Reese McGuire for less than MLB's recommended bonus, which would allow them to apply those savings later in the draft. But Stewart is clearly the better choice and appears to be higher on their internal board, below only the three players who I project to go in the top three."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I hope Law is right about the Twins draft board and their intentions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'm a ginger, or was for most of my life.....and this thread needs more Dr. Who, frankly.....

but I agree, I hope Law is right.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Where did Ryan Boldt go in his mock?

Senior Member All-Star
    Where did Ryan Boldt go in his mock?
    Not in the first round.

From his chat today on Boldt:

Ryan Boldt college bound or does team with large pool like astros try and get him in 2nd or 3rd?
    Klaw (12:42 PM)

If the medicals came back OK, I'd love to take him at 40 if I were Houston and pay him over slot.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-16-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast