Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft: The Mocks

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Bleacher Report had another mock today with this one rt throwing a change up. They have the Twins taking Frazier at #4.

The “five-tool player” label is used far too often when referring to MLB prospects, but Clint Frazier deserves the distinction.
    The 6’1”, 190-pound outfielder needs some time to grow—both physically and as a baseball player—but the Twins are known for that kind of development with their early round prospects. He may not be ready for the bigs in the next two years, but he’ll be a tremendous player when he is.

Article below:
    2013 MLB Mock Draft: Latest Projections for Baseball's Best Prospects | Bleacher Report

Senior Member All-Star
    BA released their third mock and once again they have the Twins taking Stewart. Here is what they had to say:

If Minnesota can’t get one of the big three, it will take Texas high school righthander Kohl Stewart. If Stewart’s price tag scares the Twins—he’s a Texas A&M quarterback recruit, though I can’t see him turning down top-10-pick money—they could go in the other direction and save cash for later by taking a discount with Washington prep catcher Reese McGuire. Indiana high school lefty Trey Ball and Moran are two more fallback plans.

Mock Draft 3.0: Holding Pattern - BaseballAmerica.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Haha, agreed! I have him #1 on my board. Image Meyers/Gray, two guys that can hit 100, pitching back to back is sexy.
    I'd rather see that hypothetical rotation with one of the inevitable soft-tossers in between. I like a rotation that varies from power to control pitcher to mess with hitters timing.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'm sorry, but if Gray is available, there is no way they take Stewart...
    I have a feeling the Twins board looks slightly different then the consensus. It's sounds like they like Reese McGuire 4-5 spots higher on the Twins rankings then most other public rankings. Moran has never been connected to the Twins, even though he's getting looked at by the Astros and the Cubs. I think there's a chance Stewart might be as high as #2 on their board. So the Gray vs Stewart choice might not be a slam dunk decision for the Twins as it would be for most of us.
    Last edited by maxisagod; 05-31-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: grammer

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    MLBInsider posted a new mock late last night: The Mock 2013: Volume VII |

First 4:

No.1; Houston Astros
    Name Position School Slot
    Jonathan Gray RHP Oklahoma $7.7904M
    This selection is still very much in the air; and it likely will be all the way up until draft day. Colin Moran is very much in play, and Kris Bryant is still being discussed. At the end of the day though, I still think Houston takes Gray, but absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point.
    No.2; Chicago Cubs
    Mark Appel RHP Stanford $6.7084M
    All spring long, we have heard that Chicago had narrowed their options to Appel and Gray, with the Cubs selecting whichever right-hander the Astros passed on. I still think that’s the likely scenario, with the only possible caveat being that Appel prices himself out of the Windy City. I don’t think that’s going to happen, and if the Cubs are lucky enough to get Appel they’ll have a guy who can compete for a spot in their rotation as soon as next year.
    No.3; Colorado Rockies
    Kris Bryant 3B/RF San Diego $5.6264M
    The Rockies have been attached to bats all spring, but if Appel or Gray were to fall into their laps I think they’d jump all over it. Bryant is the best hitter in this class, so this would be a very nice selection for the Rockies. I’ve also heard Austin Meadows, Moran and Dominic Smith as possibilities here.
    No.4; Minnesota Twins
    Kohl Stewart RHP St. Pius X High School (Tex.) $4.5444M
    I think Stewart is — and should be — the selection, but I’m not as confident about this as I was a few weeks ago. The Twins are still very much considering Reese McGuire with the fourth pick, and I think they would consider Kris Bryant if he fell to this spot. Minnesota also would likely snag Gray if he were to fall to this point.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Jim Callis@jimcallisBA1m
    Four of us @baseballAmerica editors took turns making 1st-rd picks for each club. Here's how it turned out: http://ht.ly/lEuW5 #mlbdraft

Editors Make Calls In BA Experts Draft

June 3, 2013 by Staff Report

With the draft coming up on Thursday, we wanted to take yet another look at how the first round might unfold, this time if four of our draft experts were making the picks. This isn’t our projection of how the first round will play out, but rather who editor John Manuel, executive editor Jim Callis and assistant editors Conor Glassey and Nathan Rode would take with picks 1-33. After the order of rotation was selected from the Baseball America candy bowl/random draft order generator, the four experts alternated choices, balancing their own preferences with each club’s needs and financial situation. Rode won the right to lead things off:

1. ASTROS (Nathan): There’s a certain level of pressure that comes with the first pick and despite the overall feeling that this is a down year in the draft, there are plenty of very good options at the top. I’m a big fan of the high school outfielders in Georgia—Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows—but I can’t pull the trigger on one of them over the college options here. I’m taking Oklahoma righthander Jonathan Gray. I like the size and stuff, with the fastball life being the ever-so-slight separator between him and Stanford righty Mark Appel. It would be fun to see San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant’s power in Minute Maid Park, but you can never have enough pitching. I don’t expect a Carlos Correa discount on Gray, but think I could get enough to give me some wiggle room on later picks: JONATHAN GRAY.

2. CUBS (Jim). You’re not going to draft for need at the top, but the Cubs’ biggest need dovetails nicely with the elite prospects in this year’s draft. They need pitching and there are two obvious frontline starters in this crop. I’m mildly tempted by Bryant, but the choice comes down to Gray and Appel, and the Astros have made it easy here by taking Gray off the board. I like Gray a little more because I think his stuff is more electric when he and Appel are at their best, but I’m happy with Appel at No. 2. He has more polish, a deeper repertoire and a longer track record, and he has dominated this season like scouts always hoped he would: MARK APPEL.

3. ROCKIES (Conor). If the first two picks off the board are the two power pitchers, the third pick becomes a slam dunk, in my opinion. Bryant has the best usable power in the draft and hit 31 home runs this season, the most in the college BBCOR era. He’s cut down on his strikeouts and can hit the ball out to all fields. While he has the athleticism to handle third base, I would stick him in right field and let him mash his way to the middle of the Rockies’ lineup. He has the potential to be their best power hitter since Matt Holliday: KRIS BRYANT.

4: TWINS (John). It’s my fate to have the fourth pick in a three-player draft. So be it; I’m not going off the board with this pick. Texas prep righthander Kohl Stewart is out of the region I report on, but that hasn’t stopped the buzz from spilling over to scouts and crosscheckers I’ve talked to. The consensus seems to be that Stewart has similar stuff to Appel and Gray with a bit more athleticism, and he seems to have dispelled some early reports of shaky makeup. The Twins need power arms, and Stewart gives them one: KOHL STEWART.

For the rest:
    Editors Make Calls In BA Experts Draft - BaseballAmerica.com

Till I Collapse

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reading other posts here on TD it appears that many of the very best pitchers were drafted as HS prospects. Also that the rate of success (which is poor, overall) is really no better for a college arm than a HS arm.

I am all for Stewart. A 3 player draft?
    His is the arm that could make that line untrue.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Till I Collapse

Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    He has the top four as Moran, Appel, Bryant, and us taking Gray. He says if the big 3 are gone when we pick, it'll be Stewart or McGuire. With us passing on Stewart, he has him falling all the way to 15.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    In Law's mock draft, two other high school pitchers (Phil Bickford #8 and Trey Ball #10) selected before Stewart. I'm not sure if this is a significant adjustment in Law's opinion of Stewart, or just a quirk of a mock draft with the Twins able to select Gray.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    In Law's mock draft, two other high school pitchers (Phil Bickford #8 and Trey Ball #10) selected before Stewart. I'm not sure if this is a significant adjustment in Law's opinion of Stewart, or just a quirk of a mock draft with the Twins able to select Gray.
    I found Stewart falling so far very odd.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Probably the latter - could also have to do with the further he slides, the less likely he is to sign.

Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Law, BA, and CC putting out mocks today. Busy draft day! Hopefully we get some more because I getting excited about the draft. So close!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Law, BA, and CC putting out mocks today. Busy draft day! Hopefully we get some more because I getting excited about the draft. So close!
    Rumors runnin rampant! Only gonna get crazier over next 3 days.

Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Rumors runnin rampant! Only gonna get crazier over next 3 days.
    And I'm OK with that.

There has been so much more draft discussion on the forums this year and it has been great. Hopefully we can keep up all the great discussion till draft day. Everyone has done a great job getting information out be it via tweeter, inside sources, or just using the inter web.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    ^Agree, this has been great! Keep it comin boys.

Till I Collapse

Yeah, Bickford has really been picking up steam the past few days. Anyone heard why? Or has anyone researched him? The Royals taking him over some of the other possible arms would be just like them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Yeah, Bickford has really been picking up steam the past few days. Anyone heard why? Or has anyone researched him? The Royals taking him over some of the other possible arms would be just like them.
    From Law on the pick:

"Bickford throws hard, and there's a good chance he'll hit 100 mph at some point in the future, but he has a below-average breaking ball right now. If one of the college right-handers gets here, that would change the pick, but there's a strong industry sentiment as of Sunday night that Bickford -- who is getting a lot of attention after striking out 17 straight batters Saturday -- goes here."

Here is BA's take. They have him at 26.
    I thought about Bickford at 18 and almost took him at 22, so I’m not passing him up at 26. His 90-96 mph fastball has tons of life, and along with his tall, lean frame earns him comparisons to Jered Weaver. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he goes about 10 picks higher than this on June

He is very signable and might actually go under slot if he goes in the top 10.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 06-03-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Kohl Stewart (and Sean Manaea to a lesser extent) is the Grand Prize if the Astros take Colin Moran 1st overall. The further he drops past the Twins, the more likely he is to freefall as his signability comes into significant question.

But, if the 'Stros take Moran and give him 4mil, they would have about 4mil to overslot Stewart if he slides to Rd 2.

Scenarios like this are why we hear "the Astros aren't going to make a decision until Thursday morning." Logically, they've been scouting these guys for at least a year (probably longer) so why are still waivering?..... It's because they want to gather as much intel as possible on possible over-slot candidates before coming to a decision on whether the risk is worth the reward.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Kohl Stewart (and Sean Manaea to a lesser extent) is the Grand Prize if the Astros take Colin Moran 1st overall. The further he drops past the Twins, the more likely he is to freefall as his signability comes into significant question.

But, if the 'Stros take Moran and give him 4mil, they would have about 4mil to overslot Stewart if he slides to Rd 2.

Scenarios like this are why we hear "the Astros aren't going to make a decision until Thursday morning." Logically, they've been scouting these guys for at least a year (probably longer) so why are still waivering?..... It's because they want to gather as much intel as possible on possible over-slot candidates before coming to a decision on whether the risk is worth the reward.
    I agree 100%. Floating the Moran rumor is just shaking the tree, and now they are seeing what drops. I'm fairly confident the Twins tried this as well with their McGuire rumor. The McGuire rumor allowed teams to figure out who might be available if there is an extra $1-2 million or so available. The Moran rumor raises it to $4 million.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast