Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins MLB Draft Profile: Kohl Stewart, RHP

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting stuff showing that the college pitchers are just as risky long-term than the high schoolers. Maybe their floor is higher, but the risk is still there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    Even if he became the twins best pitcher ever I couldn't cheer for this kid. Hope the Twins look elsewhere.
    I'm confused....what did he ever do to you? Did he beat you up in middle school and take your lunch money? From all accounts he doesn't have any real character concerns.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Since talking to my cousin who is very in tune with A&M football, I have come around on drafting Kohl Stewart. He said that the normal bonus slot of the 4th overall pick is probably more than adequate to get him out of his football commitment. If the college arms like Shipley were just a notch better they would be no-brainer picks, but I have come around to drafting Stewart's upside.

WIth that in mind, this organization needs to continue to stock up its pitching staff. I would use the next three picks on college arms like Aaron Blair (Marshall) at @43, Carlos Salazar (Fresno St.) at @78, and AJ Vanegas (Stanford) at @110.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be curious to see a list of names of players that were drafted BEFORE the guys that were drafted 6-10. I'd bet those guys were passed on for "more proven" players.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Keith Law's latest mock and chat today suggesting that they would still pick Stewart even if Gray were available makes it seem like Kohl Stewart is almost certainly the Twins' guy.

Geordy (NJ)

Love the Mock today, what are the chances that Gray really does end up in Cleveland's lap?

Klaw (1:10 PM)

Cleveland gets one of the top five guys, if they want one; if the Twins are as locked in on Kohl Stewart as the industry believes, and they pass on whichever of the four college guys gets to them, then Cleveland gets someone they'd be very excited to land. I think their nightmare scenario is that Gray, Appel, Bryant, and Moran go 1-4, which can happen if Moran does go 1-1.
    Last edited by Pitz; 05-30-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added quotes

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Very interesting stuff showing that the college pitchers are just as risky long-term than the high schoolers. Maybe their floor is higher, but the risk is still there.
    I didn't follow the draft a decade ago but I followed that group as prospects (albeit in hindsight). I remember there were several college pitchers selected for signability reasons. This is one of the reasons that Pirates were an awful franchise with 4 collegiate pitching busts (van bensalphabet, bullington, moskos and lincoln) with one success (Maholm). One interesting bust is Stauffer. He made the majors recently but failed his signing physical and signed way underslot IIRC. They would have been way better off not signing him and getting a pick the following year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I remember there were several college pitchers selected for signability reasons.
    This is one of the major problems with these comparisons. This could be mitigated by comparing pitchers based on the BA drafting ranking rather than their actual draft position. This would eliminate some of the signability influence that makes draft position unreliable. But this adds a new problem as some of the elite high school pitchers ended up going to college each year. How should a Gerit Cole or Matt Harvey be counted? They were each identified as one of the best high school pitchers but ended up going to college. Should they also be considered successful high school prospects, just college, or both? An interesting study would include those players in the high school success/failure list.

Senior Member All-Star
    The pre-draft BA ranking is an interesting idea. I think at a minimum those guys (esp the Pirates picks) are a lesson against taking a safe, underslot pick.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    And so it continues.......

Kohl Stewart@KohlStewart11m
    Good luck to all my aggie teammates moving in today. Ill be there as soon as I can

#leverage
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Jim Callis@jimcallisBA2m
    No. Always was going to sign @wexlerrules: Kohl Stewart loses some leverage with the new news A&M landed the top QB in the nation? #mlbdraft
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    And so it continues.......

Kohl Stewart@KohlStewart11m
    Good luck to all my aggie teammates moving in today. Ill be there as soon as I can

#leverage
    Well if we was planning on going to school, why isn't he already moving to campus along with the rest of his teammates? I call BS.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Complete BS. No way you throw about 3m dollars to be a ****ing red-shirt QB. Nobody is that stupid. You take the money when its there.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    This QB signing does nothing to hurt his leverage. His scholarship is still there. The coaches would still like him if he decided to commit. Ultimately the leverage has always come down to Stewart's desire to attend Texas A&M. They could have 5 of the best QB's waiting in the wings and if Stewart had a scholarship offer and truly wanted to go he could simply say no thanks to the Twins. Or Manziel could have left and Stewart was going to be the de facto starter coming into the season and if Stewart could have instead wanted to sign with the Twins. So ultimately it doesn't matter what is happening at A&M it only matters what Stewart wants to do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    This QB signing does nothing to hurt his leverage. His scholarship is still there. The coaches would still like him if he decided to commit. Ultimately the leverage has always come down to Stewart's desire to attend Texas A&M. They could have 5 of the best QB's waiting in the wings and if Stewart had a scholarship offer and truly wanted to go he could simply say no thanks to the Twins. Or Manziel could have left and Stewart was going to be the de facto starter coming into the season and if Stewart could have instead wanted to sign with the Twins. So ultimately it doesn't matter what is happening at A&M it only matters what Stewart wants to do.
    The scholarship is basically a non-factor. He wouldn't be going to A&M to be a college student. He would be going to A&M to be the starting quarterback with a shot at the NFL. I don't think the new commit matters that much though because Stewart would be a year ahead of him and it isn't a firm commitment.

Here's an interesting tweet by Jim Callis:

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA I'll say Stewart. @rob_balboni1: who was better coming out of HS into their respective drafts Archie Bradley or Koll Stewart? #mlbdraft

If you're not aware, Bradley is a RHP drafted number 7 overall by the Diamondbacks in the 2011 draft, he had a scholarship offer to play QB at Oklahoma. He has been phenomenal thus far in the minors. This is pretty high praise by Callis.
    Archie Bradley Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Extremely high praise. I've had a conversation with a scout who said if Archie Bradley was in this draft, he would be the slam-dunk choice at #1.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The scholarship is basically a non-factor. He wouldn't be going to A&M to be a college student. He would be going to A&M to be the starting quarterback with a shot at the NFL. I don't think the new commit matters that much though because Stewart would be a year ahead of him and it isn't a firm commitment.
    The scholarship is the only factor that matters really. It is what gives him the leverage to say I could go play football if you don't pay me what I'm looking for. Now I don't think he will actually go play for A&M if we draft him at 4. If everything went perfect he could only move up at most 3 picks. That's a lot of risk when you're already guaranteed $4ish million. However, it is the fact that he has a scholarship that let's him hold out for extra money. Not anything that is happening at A&M.

I know that I was agreeing with much of what you said but I felt my previous post was not particularly clear so I just retyped the whole thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12