Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could Jose Berrios be promoted?

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, look what D.J. Baxendale did at Fort Myers to earn his early promotion to New Britain. That's the type of dominating I think it would take.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Again, he's a High School Drafted pitcher, 19 years old, and will be on an innings limit (probably less than 130, certainly not any more than 150) because of this. He might go to Fort Myers for a few starts at the end of the year, but he's not going to get promoted before that unless he starts blanking teams every time out. And if bad plays during a game tend to bring out some emotions like people here are suggesting, that's another mark for holding him back this early in his career.

I'm not arguing against your promote based on performance thought. I'm telling you it's not going to happen soon because he is a pitcher drafted out of high-school in his first full season, not really anything more to it than that.

I honestly hope I'm wrong, as I've stated already I think his talent level right now is above Low-A, but you're arguing a point I'm not even trying to make, or one that I disagree with you on.

And I can find a few guys who got promoted after 7 starts in a league, but they were drafted out of college pitchers putting up better numbers than Berrios has so far, in a higher/tougher league (Gibson, Baker, Garza). Heck, it took Slowey 14 starts in High-A before being promoted, and he put up better numbers there than any of them.
    If you read more carefully you will notice that I haven't actually lobbied for his promotion nor have I even thought he is going fly through the system. I just asked for you to do a little more analysis than 'the Twins promote HS pitchers slowly' which is based on a non-existent track record.

Blog Entries
    Except it's not a non-existent track record (unless you stick to your very precise requirements), as much as you would like it to be or think it isn't. The same line(s) get spouted by the 'experts' when discussing the Twins and their promotions all the time, so there is obviously a correlation.

I'm just telling you the performance isn't going to factor much into the Twins decision to promote, or not promote, Berrios this year because he's a HS drafted pitcher playing his first full season - there are more important things for them to worry about with him this early in his career. It's not a question of if there's a guy to compare him to, even though you want this to be the case.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    lol - it's not non-existent because we had these other HS pitchers that weren't very good so that means that a legitimately good prospect will also move slowly? Again I'm not saying that Berrios will move quickly. I'm saying that this is a weak analysis that was used recently with several young hitters recently based on hitters that didn't deserve promotions.

People are even making the same argument with regards to Stewart. There are some that have argued against drafting him simply because it will take 4+ years for him to help the Twins. That's always possible with a HS prospect but the Twins wouldn't be conservative with him because they promoted Rainville, Waldrop or Boyd slowly.
    Last edited by kab21; 06-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    So, where is your evidence to suggest that they would promote a HS pitcher this early in his career based on performance then?!...

I find this to be an interesting paradigm...

Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    I think it's important not to tag the kid with a "bad attitude" at this point. From what I see, he just "wants it" so bad that he allows his emotions to cost him his focus at times. Over time, he'll figure out that it's a long season and you can't let every bad bounce get to you or you'll go crazy. Once they teach him that all he can control is what he does with the ball in his hand, he'll be fine, because he cand do plenty when the ball is in his hand.
    I agree, I was just posting on what I saw in one game. The kid has fire, he wants to win. He was pissed at the errors, but I don't know that he was pissed at the defenders. Could have just been pissed that it happened. He was nice to my kids after the game. I'd much rather have a guy with electric stuff and some fire in him than a robot with a 90mph fastball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grover738 View Post
    I saw his last start in CR. He gave up quite a few hits, and while some were more well placed than well struck, quite a few were hit well. But one thing you won't see in the box score is how he reacted (poorly) to defensive lapses. He should have gotten out of the first unscathed, but the 2B Pimentel completely botched a very routine grounder. Berrios was clearly upset with him, shaking his head, staring at the ground.
    This is a great observation. Good players never cast blame on their fellow players. Berrios should have nodded to Pimentel and said, "No problem, we'll get the next guy." Part of being a good ballplayer is encouraging and otherwise supporting your teammates, no matter what happens.

When minor leaguers wonder how to behave, they should all ask themselves, 'What would Joe Mauer do?'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123