Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Jose Berrios be promoted?

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries

Could Jose Berrios be promoted?

Just checked out Berrios' stats in Cedar Rapids. I know he's young and started late and only has six starts, but wow. Do people who are close than me to ths think he could have a shot at Ft. Myers this year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I don't think they'd do it until the break but he could be a quick riser. Most scouts mention that he's physically mature so there isn't that reason to hold him back. If he continues to dominate like this, he could move up to A+.

I suspect this thread will soon devolve into a discussion of whether the Twins would ever rush a prospect though.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To me, there are two correct courses of action.

1. Don't promote him until he's 27. You don't want to rush the kid.

2. Put him in the Minnesota rotation this evening.

Everything in between is just too controversial.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I had to bet, I'd say it's unlikely he moves up this year. Maybe late, if injuries or other factors come in to play.

More than once, I think he's let his emotions get away from him a little bit when things don't go well. Keep in mind, he's still a teenager. I think he would mature a great deal under the oversight of steadying influence like Gary Lucas for a full season.

He's got talent though, no doubt about that.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I saw his last start in CR. He gave up quite a few hits, and while some were more well placed than well struck, quite a few were hit well. But one thing you won't see in the box score is how he reacted (poorly) to defensive lapses. He should have gotten out of the first unscathed, but the 2B Pimentel completely botched a very routine grounder. Berrios was clearly upset with him, shaking his head, staring at the ground. The pitching coach bolted out of the dugout and had a very one way conversation with him. Later in the inning, the catcher messed up a first & third situation with a really poor throw to 2nd, resulting in a delayed steal of home. I checked Berrios, his reaction was a bit more muted, but he still clearly showed his dissapointment in his defense.

So, if he is promoted a bit more slowly that he should be based on the numbers, I think his lack of compsure on the mound may be one reason.

We spend a lot of time on the forum looking at numbers, mechanics, body types, etc, sometime we forget these are pretty much kids. Half of them are probably scouting the crowd looking for good looking women. I saw four of the players pile into a beat up Dodge Durango after the game, laughing, goofing off, not a care in the world. Those days were 20 years ago for me, but when I saw that, I was thinking that looks like trouble, looked like they were off to a rock quarry for a kegger.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's got great control they need to move him along FAST!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I bet he is not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by grover738 View Post
    I saw his last start in CR. He gave up quite a few hits, and while some were more well placed than well struck, quite a few were hit well. But one thing you won't see in the box score is how he reacted (poorly) to defensive lapses. He should have gotten out of the first unscathed, but the 2B Pimentel completely botched a very routine grounder. Berrios was clearly upset with him, shaking his head, staring at the ground. The pitching coach bolted out of the dugout and had a very one way conversation with him. Later in the inning, the catcher messed up a first & third situation with a really poor throw to 2nd, resulting in a delayed steal of home. I checked Berrios, his reaction was a bit more muted, but he still clearly showed his dissapointment in his defense.

So, if he is promoted a bit more slowly that he should be based on the numbers, I think his lack of compsure on the mound may be one reason.

We spend a lot of time on the forum looking at numbers, mechanics, body types, etc, sometime we forget these are pretty much kids. Half of them are probably scouting the crowd looking for good looking women. I saw four of the players pile into a beat up Dodge Durango after the game, laughing, goofing off, not a care in the world. Those days were 20 years ago for me, but when I saw that, I was thinking that looks like trouble, looked like they were off to a rock quarry for a kegger.
    I was sitting next to you at the game.

I agree with everything you said but one thing to note is that he had family at the game that he paid a lot of attention to after he was taken out so he probably felt some extra pressure.

I didn't think he pitched that well. I saw few pitches over 90mph and from my angle behind the dugout he his pitches looked flat and a little higher than I would have liked.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love his BB/K rate. He has struggled a little more his last couple of outings. I also think they're going to be more cautious with him on innings. Also, hopefully, the Kernels will make the playoffs and be able to use him. I don't see him being promoted, certainly not based on six starts. Let's get him to 75 innings or so and see how things are going.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    berrios has given up 39 hits in 33.1 innings and has a whip of 1.35. he may get the call to ft. myers at some point this year due to being ahead of the pack when we start moving people but his numbers aren't screaming a promotion by any means.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've thought all along he'd move up prospect lists faster than he would through the system because of how the Twins treat pitchers like him. If you look at their history with HS draftees, their promotion schedule is very deliberate, 1 level per year. I think B.J. Hermsen's schedule is a good comparison of how they'll handle Berrios in his first full year. Even though Berrios has a lot more talent, the Twins aren't going to treat him any different while he's so young.

I'd expect him to pitch in Fort Myers this year at some point, but he'll start there next season as well.

If his stuff had any projection, he'd be thought of even higher than he already is.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I don't understand an argument that compares the promotion pace of an inferior prospect to one that is clearly superior. I don't know if Berrios will move two levels this year but I think he will move two levels one year but I'm not sure if it's this year. It sounds like he has some baseball maturity issues and there is a little concern that he is getting hit hard when hitters can put the bat on the ball (.400 BAPIP). But that also means that he has been unlucky and his K and BB rates are amazing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Keep him in CR I say. If he isnt dominating low A, keep him there. We also need to remember he probably needs to work on his english and living on his own in US. Like someone already stated, these are kids.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grover738 View Post
    I saw his last start in CR. He gave up quite a few hits, and while some were more well placed than well struck, quite a few were hit well. But one thing you won't see in the box score is how he reacted (poorly) to defensive lapses.
    Interesting to know and a little concerning considering the recent benching of Rosario and the early hook for Sano due to un-Twinlike baseball behavior.

Maybe he should get a promotion to Ft. Myers simply because Mientkiewicz has already shown he's not putting up with unprofessional onfield antics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I don't understand an argument that compares the promotion pace of an inferior prospect to one that is clearly superior.
    I explained that right away, "If you look at their history with HS draftees, their promotion schedule is very deliberate, 1 level per year," it hasn't mattered the talent level with Pitchers.

He's a 19 year old pitcher out of High School in his first full season of professional baseball, there's not really anything more to it than that.

Look at Pittsburgh and their handling of one of their uber-prospects, Jameson Taillon, who is a far better prospect than Berrios, yet he spent the entirety of his first full year in Low-A ball, and was limited to less than 100 innings. The next year, he spent almost all of it at high-A, making 3 starts to end the year in AA. He's back in AA this year.

It's part of getting them acclimated to the rigors of pro-ball. Going from HS to pro is a drastic difference. The difference between HS to college is also drastic, college to pro, not as much.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Look at Pittsburgh and their handling of one of their uber-prospects, Jameson Taillon, who is a far better prospect than Berrios, yet he spent the entirety of his first full year in Low-A ball, and was limited to less than 100 innings. The next year, he spent almost all of it at high-A, making 3 starts to end the year in AA. He's back in AA this year.
    Although Taillon is considered a better prospect because he was drafted higher, he has never dominated the way Berrios has. In A ball, Taillon's ERA was 3.98 and he had 9.4K/9 and 4.4 K/BB while Berrios currently has an ERA of 2.70 with 10.8 K/9 and 6.7 K/BB.

It is also worth noting that Berrios, unlike many other HS SP draft picks, logged 30 innings of rookie ball the year he was drafted, which could cause the Twins to promote him earlier than usual.

However, I think that the Twins will pay close attention to his attitude and focus on the mound. If he continues to struggle in that regard, they will probably keep him in Cedar Rapids, even if he continues to dominate and post ridiculous K/BB ratios.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I explained that right away, "If you look at their history with HS draftees, their promotion schedule is very deliberate, 1 level per year," it hasn't mattered the talent level with Pitchers.
    That's kind of my point. You are referencing the Twins past promotion schedules for HS pitchers. The fact is that there hasn't been a HS pitching prospect nearly as talented as Berrios in the last decade or possibly two although one might be slipping my mind. This kind of comparison is like saying that Sano/Buxton will take 4 yrs in the minors because the Twins have promoted other hitting prospects (Parmelee, Hicks and Benson) slowly. Naming one prospect (Taillon) doesn't mean much. Some HS'ers move quickly and some move slowly. Berrios might not have a really high ceiling but most have said that his stuff will play well especially at the lower levels. I don't think he will fly through the minors like some on here but so far he's setting up to move 3 levels in 2 years.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Whatís more important, having success and building confidence or being pushed to the point of struggling so he can learn to overcome adversity?? I'd say the former Ė that along with the language barrier and just learning the pro routine, is enough to say that he stays where he is this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's important not to tag the kid with a "bad attitude" at this point. From what I see, he just "wants it" so bad that he allows his emotions to cost him his focus at times. Over time, he'll figure out that it's a long season and you can't let every bad bounce get to you or you'll go crazy. Once they teach him that all he can control is what he does with the ball in his hand, he'll be fine, because he cand do plenty when the ball is in his hand.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Although Taillon is considered a better prospect because he was drafted higher, he has never dominated the way Berrios has. In A ball, Taillon's ERA was 3.98 and he had 9.4K/9 and 4.4 K/BB while Berrios currently has an ERA of 2.70 with 10.8 K/9 and 6.7 K/BB.
    This is a prime example of where minor league stats don't tell nearly the whole story. There are reasons Taillon is ranked near top-10 in all of baseball prospects and Berrios isn't mentioned in any top 100 lists. Just saying. Taillon is referenced everywhere as a potential ace-level pitcher, Berrios gets #2/3 projections. Will Berrios show up on those lists next year? It wouldn't surprise me, but it also won't be that high. Would his performance to date merit a promotion more than Taillon did? Sure. But that doesn't mean it should or would happen. I'd say he doesn't go to Fort Myers until August, if at all. They'll promote the guys with College experience in CR first. It's what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    That's kind of my point. You are referencing the Twins past promotion schedules for HS pitchers. The fact is that there hasn't been a HS pitching prospect nearly as talented as Berrios in the last decade or possibly two although one might be slipping my mind.
    It's not like I'm making something up about how the Twins handle these guys, talent level taken into account high or low, it hasn't mattered.

I just looked up a few scouting reports out there for Berrios, and this a line from one of them, that is repeated in some form in all of them: "The Twins often lack aggression with their pitchers and he may not see High-A until 2014, but he could force a timetable that puts him in the big league rotation in 2016."

I don't think he's really forcing anything right now. The performance has been pretty good so far, but not dominating, and that's what it would take.

I think it would be great if they promoted him, as I do think he's more advanced than what he's going against in Low-A, but it's also good for the guy to get more exposure in the league he is in, especially in his first full season. It has been only six starts after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast