Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do ya got at 43?

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Who do ya got at 43?

We've spent countless minutes/(hours) feverishly discussing our pick at #4.

We've got a pretty solid idea of who could/will go there.

Lets talk about our 2nd round pick (#43 overall.)

Who are some guys you've heard we could have interest in? Who do YOU want at that spot?

For me:

-Hunter Green (P) -Twins have been said to be interested, having him in next week. Lots of potential

-Ryan Boldt (OF) - MVP of Perfect Game series this past year, potential 5-tool guy. Not a lot of power yet, and may not be a power guy but will hit/field/speed.

-Cody Reed (P) - Twins are rumored to be "hot" on him, another very high potential HS arm.

-Sean Manaea (P) - The enigma of this draft. Top 10 talent with injury/sign ability concerns. This is purely a "want" here as we may not have the $ to make this pick.

Discuss!
    Last edited by InfraRen; 06-01-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Hunter, Boldt, and Reed are all names the have actually been linked to the Twins from sources. I would be fine with any of them. Personally I guessed Boldt on my challenge forum, not because of the MN link, but because this draft is weak in bats. The Twins can get arms in the later rounds but if they want a good bat they better not wait to long.

A few names to look out for:

If the Twins take Stewart at #4 they might want to take a safe pick. Windle(the OMG he went to UM pick), Thurman, and Eades are all "safe" low upside college arms that might be there.

The draft is weak in SS so lesser talent is raising to the top and if you want one you better get one early. There is a lot of talk that Tim Anderson, Hunter Dozier, and Travis Demerritte won't make it out of the first. Oscar Mercado and Tyler O'Neill might be there.

The Twins have said they are going to take a catcher at some point in the draft. Lucky for the Twins this is a very deep class for catchers and if one falls to the Twins at #43 I wouldn't be surprised if they took one. Denney or Cuiffo would be steals at 43 but I highly doubt they make it that.

As for HS arms there are a butt load of them and I have no idea who the Twins prefer. I do still find it hard to believe if the Twins take Stewart at #4 they will take another HS pitcher at #43.

If you look at the Twins supplemental picks last year two names stick out to me.
    J.O. = Kyle Serrano. Highly advanced super young HS arm but is short.
    Bard= Andrew Mitchell (TCU). Mostly been a college reliever but when he did start was solid. Has plenty of "stuff".

Who I want the Twins to take? As I said up top this is a super weak draft bat wise. If they are going to get a good do it at #43 with Boldt, Mercado, or a catcher if they fall.

Senior Member All-Star
    IMO this is actually a more interesting pick than #4. We are getting a top 10 talent no matter what at #4 but #43 can make the draft. There will be plenty of talent remaining for the second round. It would be nice to have more discussion about this pick.

2013 Minor League Ball Community Mock Draft going on as I type this Sickels picks for Twins Tyler O'Neill, C-INF, Garibaldi SS, Maple Ridge, British Columbia

While were at it, Twins select Stuart Turner, C, University of Mississippi in the third round

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm not a big fan of either of those picks. While they fit needs they are both low on upside IMO and I'm sucker for upside! Boom or bust!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of either of those picks. While they fit needs they are both low on upside IMO and I'm sucker for upside! Boom or bust!
    Me too. Especially in baseball drafts where "sure things" bust all the time, if you grab a bunch of risk/reward guys you're bound to get at least 1 "good-or-better" type player.

Till I Collapse

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I like the kid from Red Wing, but good job you guys. I'm looking them all up. Seems this draft is going our way.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'd prefer a portfolio approach with some high upside and low bust potential guys. If you go Stewart in One you have the high upside guy and can mix in some of the others in rounds 2 and 3

FWIW in Round 4 (the last round) of the Community Mock Draft the Twins select Matt Boyd, LHP, Oregon State University

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    I heard a rumor that since this is a bit of pitching heavy draft, the 1st round will see a run on the few bats so a few solid pitchers could slide into the 2nd round. I'm hoping one of the college type arms - Gonzalez, Windle, Ziomek, Hursh, Blair type come at #43. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Twins took AK reliever Suggs. He fits Johnson's flame thrower type and the Twins have scouted the crap out of Arkansas the last year since they were also looking at Stanek. I'd also be happy with any HS high ceiling type but I don't really know who they are.

Jordan Paroubeck, HS OF, switch hitter with good power potential. Maybe Chris Okey might last till 43,another top HS catcher.

isn't Cody Reed a junior college guy?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,261 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did we have Berrios on our radar at this time last year?

Once you're out of the top half of the first round, it's a total crapshoot. Kudos to the Twins scouts for zeroing in on J.O. last year. The misses have been greater than the hits for the 43rd pick of the draft through the years. Have a look at b-r.com. Yankees chose Mark Prior but he didn't sign with them in 1998; give credit for a good pick, although a reach at his age. Red Sox snared Scott Hatteberg in 1991. Bob Knepper went to the Giants in 1972. More recently, Wade Miley looks like he could be a good'un for the Dbacks; I won't try to guess the futures for other recent picks. But in 40+ years of picks that we do have a handle on, that's pretty slim pickings, which is typical for around this point in the draft.

Yes, it's important work for the Twins to pick as wisely as they can. But I just can not get excited about trying to play this game myself - whoever is picked will be odds-on to wash out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Did we have Berrios on our radar at this time last year?

Once you're out of the top half of the first round, it's a total crapshoot. Kudos to the Twins scouts for zeroing in on J.O. last year. The misses have been greater than the hits for the 43rd pick of the draft through the years. Have a look at b-r.com. Yankees chose Mark Prior but he didn't sign with them in 1998; give credit for a good pick, although a reach at his age. Red Sox snared Scott Hatteberg in 1991. Bob Knepper went to the Giants in 1972. More recently, Wade Miley looks like he could be a good'un for the Dbacks; I won't try to guess the futures for other recent picks. But in 40+ years of picks that we do have a handle on, that's pretty slim pickings, which is typical for around this point in the draft.

Yes, it's important work for the Twins to pick as wisely as they can. But I just can not get excited about trying to play this game myself - whoever is picked will be odds-on to wash out.
    The Twins were linked to Berrios well before draft day. A lot of experts thought they would draft Mitch Brown too because of the MN ties. Clearly they didn't.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    ^I really wanted Brown last year.

Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    ^I really wanted Brown last year.
    I preferred him to the college relief pitchers they took right before him. He would have been good 2nd round value but at the same time there were several players I preferred to him at the Twins spots. I think I'm the only person here that doesn't give local kids bonus points. I was born in Minnesota and it clearly didn't help me be a better baseball player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 86 Times in 44 Posts
    Ian Clarkin might be there at 43, thought the Twins would probably have to go over slot to get him (he's a college commit), so I'll say Ryan Eades. He's the type of "close to MLB ready", "polished arm" that the Twins like to target.

Senior Member All-Star
    More and more I think about it I doubt Boldt will be the choice here. The most likely first round pick out comes are currently Stewart and McGuire. Experts feel to sign Boldt in the second round you are going to have to go over slot and I'm not sure you will have any extra slot money if you go Stewart first. With McGuire you obviously have extra money but would the Twins go two HS position players to start the draft? I doubt it.

I'm starting to feel it is going to be a safe, low upside arm at #43. Thurman, Windle, Eades, or one of the other soft tossers .

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope not a soft tosser. The power relief arms would be great. Or another boom or bust player. Safe is for later in the draft. Need high upside people at #43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast