Thread: Mayo's updated top 100

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

Mayo's updated top 100

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but Mayo at mlb.com updates his top 100 throughout the year and removes players when they lose their prospect status, so Hicks (for example) is no longer listed. Anyhow, his new updated top 100 still includes 6 Twins because he's moved Rosario in at #99.

Oops, here's the link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=min
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 06-04-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: didn't have the link

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    link?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    I always look at the Top 20 prospects for the Twins, but for some reason I never comprehended that Gibson is the #45 prospect in all of baseball. Hopefully we see him soon!

Buxton only 18th is surprising given the high praise he's earned this season.

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    I has to be uncommon for two "famous" evaluators to have that big of a difference of opinion. I mean, it would be normal if they were 16 spots different with guys in the teens and twenties, but 2 on one list and 18 on another seems odd.

Was this the same guy that called Appel a sleeper?

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mayo knows a lot more than I do... But in consideration of Rosario's performance this year... 99 seems low for him. I don't know... I've never seen Rosario so maybe 99 is his spot.

However... I'm a little more sure of these cause I've seen them:

If Wacha is 76... I'll eat my hat... No way there are 75 prospects better. His change up is as good as I've seen.

If Puig is 70... I'll eat my favorite shirt... Good stats and every tool in the tool box. No way there are 69 better.

If Cingrani is 60... I'll eat my pants (don't think what you are thinking)... He blew away AAA and performed wonderfully during his call up... No way there are 59 better.

Didi Gregorious should be moved off of 58 all together... I'm pretty sure that he is in Arizona for good. No longer a prospect.

Arenado can probably be moved off of 57... Maybe... Maybe not... He looks like he has at least one hand on the 3B job in Denver.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Buxton ranked 18th? Fail.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I'm sorry this is a complete and utter garbage list once I read this about Buxton:

"He has plenty of bat speed and while his power isn't going to show up just yet, most feel he'll grow into it as he develops."

So basically 7 HR and a .545 Slugging percentage means his power hasn't shown up?

Honestly it looks like the "write up" was written before the season even started, pretty embarrassing from the freaking "Official" site of major league baseball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm sorry this is a complete and utter garbage list once I read this about Buxton:

"He has plenty of bat speed and while his power isn't going to show up just yet, most feel he'll grow into it as he develops."

So basically 7 HR and a .545 Slugging percentage means his power hasn't shown up?

Honestly it looks like the "write up" was written before the season even started, pretty embarrassing from the freaking "Official" site of major league baseball.
    Mayo's added to his list but he doesn't update his write ups. That write up was written before the season and was a pretty fair industry opinion. I agree he should (and on the draft board as well) but he doesn't.

I'm not sure how much he puts into his re-rankings. I think Meyer moved up about 10 spots but I can't remember where he originally had these guys ranked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    This really isn't an updated list at all. All they did was take out the players that have exceeded their rookie eligibility as far as I see. So basically this is the offseason list (and writeups) minus a few players. I don't have a problem with Mayo's views but outdated lists that appear current is a problem for MLB.com and I usually ignore them.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is the worst top 100 ever, ha. Really Buxton at 18? And Sano ahead of him at only 11? Come on a crack head could make a better list. Thats not the only horrible part, it also says Sano and Buxtons ceiling is the same as Rossario and Arcias. We all know Sano and Buxton have a waaay higher ceiling than those 2.

Theres also like 6 guys in his top 10 that have an overall future of 7 while Sano and Buxtons is only 6... Thats very hard to believe, Buxton has the most potential out of every prospect.
    Last edited by Red Bull; 06-04-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    This is the offseason list - guys without rookie status...gguaranteed

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you sure this is updated? Becuase the more I look at it the more I think its the same as before, and it doesnt say its updated anywhere...

Sano-Power: 5/7

This guy is paid to write these?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty bad. There is not much more that needs to be said. He is just not being remotely thorough at all with this.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont care if hes hatting on Sano and Buxton by rating them out of the top 10, but when he says there ceilings are just as high as guys like Arcia is when I get really mad. Arcia is gonna be good and has alot of potential but Sano and Buxton have waaay more potential. This guy says Sano and Buxtons future overall is 6, same as Arcia who also got a 6. Thats just BS, and he has around 6 guys in the top 10 with a future overall of 7 while Sano and Buxtons is 6. Buxton has more potential than anyone other prospect, Sano isnt far behind.

I also don't think it is update, but he just took the guys off who have lost their status as a prospect like Hicks. So this should not even be a thread.