Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 7 All-Stars for Ft. Myers Miracle...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

7 All-Stars for Ft. Myers Miracle...

According to a press release from the Miracle, seven players have made the Florida State League All Star team:

RHP - Zack Jones
    LHP - Corey Williams
    LHP - Chad Rodgers
    3B - Miguel Sano
    1B - Kennys Vargas
    C - Matt Koch
    SP - DJ Baxendale (who obviously won't play in the game)

No, no Rosario at this time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you think any of these players will be promoted after the All-Star game?

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    According to a press release from the Miracle, seven players have made the Florida State League All Star team:

RHP - Zack Jones
    LHP - Corey Williams
    LHP - Chad Rodgers
    3B - Miguel Sano
    1B - Kennys Vargas
    C - Matt Koch
    SP - DJ Baxendale (who obviously won't play in the game)

No, no Rosario at this time.
    In your opinion Seth... Why isn't Rosario on the list. He seems to be stroking it.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    In your opinion Seth... Why isn't Rosario on the list. He seems to be stroking it.
    THere is no explanation, and I"m told the Miracle are shocked. IF you look at the roster, there isn't even a 2B. Makes no sense.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Do you think any of these players will be promoted after the All-Star game?
    I think Sano is a given. Other than that, not any others (besides Angel Morales) that I think should absolutely move up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think Sano is a given. Other than that, not any others (besides Angel Morales) that I think should absolutely move up.
    By age, anyone 23 really needs to be in AA to be on track. Catchers can move slower, but Koch is 24. The Twins should move Koch and push Pinto to AAA. Morales is 23. Rodgers is 25. Seems like they chose the wrong Rogers.

By need and performance, the Twins should move Rosario and get his feet wet in AA. When will he need to be on the 40?

Baxendale is already up. Sano is a given.

Once in AA, players are knocking at the door. Arcia was in Fort Myers at this time last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    By age, anyone 23 really needs to be in AA to be on track. Catchers can move slower, but Koch is 24. The Twins should move Koch and push Pinto to AAA. Morales is 23. Rodgers is 25. Seems like they chose the wrong Rogers.
    I agree that we will see several position players move up by midseason but I'm not as sure about Koch or Pinto. I don't know the entire catching depth chart but IIRC it's not very good. Pinto is in AA knocking on the door and I'm not sure Koch is a good enough prospect to mess with the catching depth chart for every level from appy league to Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I agree that we will see several position players move up by midseason but I'm not as sure about Koch or Pinto. I don't know the entire catching depth chart but IIRC it's not very good. Pinto is in AA knocking on the door and I'm not sure Koch is a good enough prospect to mess with the catching depth chart for every level from appy league to Rochester.
    The Twins have plenty of organizational catchers to slide around. There isn't a prospect currently in Rochester. I do think it is more important to move Pinto at 24 than Koch. Even if Herrman returns, his ability to play OF will give him enough paying time. Pinto can DH once a series and get enough time behind the plate.

If Koch is seen as a prospect, he really needs to move. Does anyone know about his defensive ability?

Senior Member All-Star
    It's not important that a prospect is in Rochester instead of New Britain. He's a solid prospect but he isn't coming up this year unless there is a serious injury and he can make the jump from AA if there was a serious injury.

Organizational catchers aren't the same as everyday starting catchers. Plus Koch might be oldish but he has pretty limited pro ball experience. A season in Ft Myers isn't a big deal for a guy that is a marginal prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    It's not important that a prospect is in Rochester instead of New Britain. He's a solid prospect but he isn't coming up this year unless there is a serious injury and he can make the jump from AA if there was a serious injury.

Organizational catchers aren't the same as everyday starting catchers. Plus Koch might be oldish but he has pretty limited pro ball experience. A season in Ft Myers isn't a big deal for a guy that is a marginal prospect.
    My last on moving them up...

I went through catchers with significant playing time this year. All but one were in AA by 23 and AAA by 24. Most were earlier.

That left AJ Ellis who reached AA at 25 and the majors at 27. He became a starter at 31.

Given their placement in the organization, the Twins must view Pinto as a marginal prospect and Koch as an organizational catcher.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just going to say it... I haven't been all that impressed with Rosario's offensive performance. He's proven that he can make contact, and he's got a high average aided by a .370 BABIP, but there aren't really any numbers that pop out at you. Certainly his performance has been very good for a 21-year-old in the FSL, but I don't know that his production is screaming "call-up" in the same way as Sano's. I haven't heard many reports on his defense and that's admittedly an overlooked factor here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Rosario does have the best line drive percentage on the team at 22.4% to fuel his BABIP.

I am a big proponent of BABIP but Rosario's isnt high considering his actual BAve.
    BABIP for others
    Morales .402 for .302BAve
    Sano .416 for .335BAve
    Vargas .309 for .287BAve

Buxton .386 for .333BAve

Hitting .340 for Rosario in FSL is pretty impressive, as .345 is highest in FSL in last 8yrs.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'm just going to say it... I haven't been all that impressed with Rosario's offensive performance. He's proven that he can make contact, and he's got a high average aided by a .370 BABIP, but there aren't really any numbers that pop out at you. Certainly his performance has been very good for a 21-year-old in the FSL, but I don't know that his production is screaming "call-up" in the same way as Sano's. I haven't heard many reports on his defense and that's admittedly an overlooked factor here.
    Correct! I was asked a bout this earlier today. Sano's performance screams that he should be promoted. Other than that, I don't really see anyone else. I think Stuifbergen (who was promoted today) and Angel Morales should be promoted due to solid performance and that they have been in Ft. Myers a long time already.

Rosario's been very good, and that .335 batting average is great. His .900ish OPS is remarkable for the Florida State League. I'd be perfectly fine if they move him up, but I'd also be OK with them keeping him down.

If Rosario's not playing in the FSL all star game they could promote him right now, before Sano. ( If they feel comfortable with his defence this year and if they think he's reacted properly to his benching.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Rosario - a lot.
    But his 14 BBs to 28 SO is a big worry for me. He has a good line-up around him and I am sure he is getting pitches to hit. It might be good to have a month w/o Sano so he can learn plate discipline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    My last on moving them up...

I went through catchers with significant playing time this year. All but one were in AA by 23 and AAA by 24. Most were earlier.

That left AJ Ellis who reached AA at 25 and the majors at 27. He became a starter at 31.

Given their placement in the organization, the Twins must view Pinto as a marginal prospect and Koch as an organizational catcher.
    I was talking about something different when I said starting catcher. I meant MiLB starting catcher. Koch has very little chance at being an MLB starting catcher but he is a solid catcher that can help a minor league team. What I consider an organizational catcher is basically a bullpen catcher that ends up playing because someone needs to catch. If you can avoid it then you try not to put multiple affiliates in the position where they are starting these guys and on the surface if Koch was promoted both CR and FM would be starting fairly awful catchers.