Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins MLB Draft Profile: Mark Appel, RHP

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Hes worth giving up as much money as he wants. Rarely do you find a pitcher that has a fasball in the mid to upper 90s with 3 other plus pitches. When you think of other pitchers with 4 plus pitches Verlander is the first name to pop into my head. Hes got so much potential its not even funny. If the Twins had a shot at him they better pay up and grab him. He could potentialy be a guy that wins a team 20 games by himself, how many guys in the league are capable of that?

They had their chance at him--and passed. Consider if The Twins did draft him last year at #2. Revere probably doesn't get traded, so no Worley or May.
    Hicks is likely tearing-up AAA pitching (completely unaware that a river of cold water awaits in Minneapolis). Given the tone of the posts asking for Gibson to be promoted--multiply that by 10 for Appel's promotion.
    The Twins would still be selecting 4th Thursday--but with more options in their direction. Assume that the "Big 2" are taken, as well as Kohl Stewart.
    They could go college pitcher (guy from Nevada), HS pitcher (Bell), HS "toolsy" OF, Moran (3B), or under-slot and hope to draft some HS pitchers would are 2nd-4th round choices now, but "overpay" to loadup on pitching (with an eye towards trading Appel before free agency--yet having the pitching at advanced levels). All very interesting.

True, Appel might have refused #2 money (I really doubt that!) and the Twins select 4th and 5th. That's the worst case scenario--and it's an unlikely one at that.

Instead, we earnestly hope that Buxton becomes the next Kirby Puckett, but with lots of speed (though not as much charisma).

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

True, Appel might have refused #2 money (I really doubt that!) and the Twins select 4th and 5th. That's the worst case scenario--and it's an unlikely one at that.
    Unless you have inside knowledge, you have no idea whether Appel would have taken #2 money or not. And in your "worst case" scenario you forgot to mention that the pick would be wasted, meaning not only no Buxton but the additional money made available to help sign other picks (because Buxton was underslot) also would have vanished.

I think they made the right choice.

I'd take Appel for obvious reasons. He's the best in pitcher in the draft right now. And my feeling is that you always take guys that have the opportunity to be good possible 1's. That said what it is going to take to sign is probably going to hamstring you for the next ten rounds. I also think that if the astro's are dumb enough to pass on a player they should have taken last year, ( They were also stupid enough not to take buck) then he still doesn't fall to the twins.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, Appel can ask for 7M all he wants, if he goes to us at 4, he'll get slot plus our 5% at most. It is not worth it to throw away an entire draft for a pitcher, and truth be told, holding out another year isn't going to make him easier to get drafted.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Unless you have inside knowledge, you have no idea whether Appel would have taken #2 money or not. And in your "worst case" scenario you forgot to mention that the pick would be wasted, meaning not only no Buxton but the additional money made available to help sign other picks (because Buxton was underslot) also would have vanished.

I think they made the right choice.
    I'm sorry if I p'd in your Kool-Aid. I hope Buxton does succeed as much as anyone.
    Buxton was all of $200K underslot--not even close to the allowable 5% "overage" a team may have, so it didn't "sign anybody" that wouldn't have been signed without that extra $200K.
    The value of premier starting pitching is not to be scoffed-at. Several ordinary hitting teams have won World Series with premier starting pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    I'm sorry if I p'd in your Kool-Aid. I hope Buxton does succeed as much as anyone.
    Buxton was all of $200K underslot--not even close to the allowable 5% "overage" a team may have, so it didn't "sign anybody" that wouldn't have been signed without that extra $200K.
    The value of premier starting pitching is not to be scoffed-at. Several ordinary hitting teams have won World Series with premier starting pitching.
    Having a prospect who a lot of experts think might be the best in all of baseball by the end of the year is not to be scoffed at. BA, Law, Mayo, Christopher Crawford all still prefer Buxton to Appel.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Instead, we earnestly hope that Buxton becomes the next Kirby Puckett, but with lots of speed (though not as much charisma).
    You realize that 6 other teams also passed on Appel, to draft players nowhere near as good as Buxton, right?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    You realize that 6 other teams also passed on Appel, to draft players nowhere near as good as Buxton, right?
    So what? My Q: was there "an agreement" to take Boras down a notch? Obviously someone had to draft him "high". Recall when Buxton was selected, the Twins were "rich" in OFers. Both Span and Revere were well respected, Hicks was expected to be better than both of them, and there was "depth" for the OF bench. The rotation was known to be worse than anyone else and required " a frame-off rebuild". Appel was fully expected to be at the ML level in 1.5 years (from 6/12), and Buxton would "need some years to develop". Ok, roll the dice on Buxton, it might work--but there is still are gigantic holes in the rotation.
    Conspiracy theory? No, I really think Ryan expects to skimp on pitching, hoping that inexpensive sinker-slider types (Silva) can function as mainstays and devote the bulk of the salaries to "toolsy" position players to provide an entertaining (and lower cost) team.
    the 2000's have shown that playoff wins will be scarce, and the World Series will have someone else. Surprisingly, two top SPs with simply a decent hitting/fielding team can actually win in the playoffs against the huge-payroll teams.
    But maybe Buxton will be the next Willie Mays--I sure hope so.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    So what? My Q: was there "an agreement" to take Boras down a notch? Obviously someone had to draft him "high". Recall when Buxton was selected, the Twins were "rich" in OFers. Both Span and Revere were well respected, Hicks was expected to be better than both of them, and there was "depth" for the OF bench. The rotation was known to be worse than anyone else and required " a frame-off rebuild". Appel was fully expected to be at the ML level in 1.5 years (from 6/12), and Buxton would "need some years to develop". Ok, roll the dice on Buxton, it might work--but there is still are gigantic holes in the rotation.
    Conspiracy theory? No, I really think Ryan expects to skimp on pitching, hoping that inexpensive sinker-slider types (Silva) can function as mainstays and devote the bulk of the salaries to "toolsy" position players to provide an entertaining (and lower cost) team.
    the 2000's have shown that playoff wins will be scarce, and the World Series will have someone else. Surprisingly, two top SPs with simply a decent hitting/fielding team can actually win in the playoffs against the huge-payroll teams.
    But maybe Buxton will be the next Willie Mays--I sure hope so.
    Twins had Buxton #1 on their board. 99% of experts had Buxton #1 on their boards. Most experts have stated they still have Buxton above Appel. Why is it surprising they took the better player? Draft for talent and not need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12