Thread: 8 Kernels named Midwest League All Stars

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

8 Kernels named Midwest League All Stars

On Wednesday, the Cedar Rapids Kernels learned that eight of their players had been named to the Midwest League All Star team. The game will be played in Dayton, Ohio, on June 18th.

Pitchers: Tyler Duffey, JO Berrios

Hitters: Dalton Hicks, Byron Buxton, Adam Walker, Jorge Polanco, Travis Harrison, Niko Goodrum

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 93 Times in 55 Posts
    8! That's just great. How thrilling for the fans in Cedar Rapids to be able to watch such a good team!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    So, promotions after this game is finally over? Duffy got a bump early, does that mean one of the bigger name prospects could get an early bump if Ft. Myers has a need? I'm skeptical.

So after the draft picks start getting signed and after this game, who are the first promoted? All of these guys could make a case.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Dalton Hicks a prospect? Probably not. However, at 23 he needs to move if he has any chance to progress to the majors.

We don't have a 1B prospect in AA. How about shifting Hicks and Vargas or maybe just Hicks? He is older than Vargas. Is Rory Rhodes in extended spring training? He could take Hicks' spot.

If he is not a prospect, it doesn't matter what the Twins do as long as he isn't blocking someone who is a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Is Dalton Hicks a prospect? Probably not. However, at 23 he needs to move if he has any chance to progress to the majors.

We don't have a 1B prospect in AA. How about shifting Hicks and Vargas or maybe just Hicks? He is older than Vargas. Is Rory Rhodes in extended spring training? He could take Hicks' spot.

If he is not a prospect, it doesn't matter what the Twins do as long as he isn't blocking someone who is a prospect.
    Hicks hasnt put his 'time' in to warrant a promotion. Its not about production w/MN....its about fitting their model

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks certainly should be promoted to Fort Myers. I am not sure if the All-Star break is just a good spot for promotion because there are a few off days or if they like to get guys into the actual all-star game for the player to enjoy it. I kinda don't like waiting that much, but it makes sense, especially if it is the former case.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a player, one has to wonder if he would rather be promoted earlier or wait to play in a low-A (or any minor league) All-Star game.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    As a player, one has to wonder if he would rather be promoted earlier or wait to play in a low-A (or any minor league) All-Star game.
    It probably depends on if they receive ribbons or trophies for winning. I'd jump ship early if it's just a ribbon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Hicks hasnt put his 'time' in to warrant a promotion. Its not about production w/MN....its about fitting their model
    I am not trying to predict what the Twins will do. I am suggesting that if they believe he has a future role on the major league club they must move him to a more difficult level. There are no 23 year old prospects in low A-Ball.

There is an interesting split that baseball reference keeps. Under the splits option, you will see how many plate appearances came against older or younger pitchers. Look at Hicks' numbers. Not very exciting. I think that split will say more about upside in the minors than any other. If you are consistently batting against an older pitcher 80+% of the time, you will grow as you catch up through the minors.

Berrios is interesting. He has yet to face a batter younger than him.

Note: Greg Dobbs is a regular 1B for Miami this year and played Low A at 23. He was advanced to AA in that same year. He made it as a part time regular 28 and has a career OPS of .698.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about ribbons and trophies, but personally, even if I was promoted, I'd want to play in that game. It's an honor. I wonder if orgs will allow players who get nominated but got promoted early to fly back and play in that game...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Two of these three players made the All-Star team.

Player 1: .248/.382/.447 .829OPS 5HR 26RBI 35R 9SB/4CS
    Player 2: .301/.373/.443 .815OPS 3HR 31RBI 31R 2SB/1CS
    Player 3: .320/.396/.383 .779OPS 1HR 15RBI 18R 4SB/3CS

Player 2 and 3 made the All Star team. Can anyone tell me why?

FYI Player 1 was JD Williams.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Two of these three players made the All-Star team.

Player 1: .248/.382/.447 .829OPS 5HR 26RBI 35R 9SB/4CS
    Player 2: .301/.373/.443 .815OPS 3HR 31RBI 31R 2SB/1CS
    Player 3: .320/.396/.383 .779OPS 1HR 15RBI 18R 4SB/3CS

Player 2 and 3 made the All Star team. Can anyone tell me why?

FYI Player 1 was JD Williams.
    i can't. All I have is stats in a sample not large enough to distinguish any of the three. I would think much more weight might come from seeing them play. I assume all three play left field. If any play a more difficult defensive position that should sway it in their favor. I guess observation of their defense should also be a factor.

Blog Entries
    My guess is that he is an outfielder, and there are more good outfielders than other positions, also the Kernels already have two starting outfielders.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure the MWL chooses All-Stars by vote of league managers and when you're an opposing manager, you're probably so focused on trying to figure out how to keep Buxton, Polanco, Walker, Hicks and Harrison from bludgeoning you to death that you tend to overlook Williams' contributions when it comes to voting. On a less loaded team, he'd have had an excellent chance at making the AS team, I think.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Steven Gruver was chosen to replace Tyler Duffey on the Midwest League All Star team. The lefty reliever has had a terrific season in his new role.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    I'm pretty sure the MWL chooses All-Stars by vote of league managers and when you're an opposing manager, you're probably so focused on trying to figure out how to keep Buxton, Polanco, Walker, Hicks and Harrison from bludgeoning you to death that you tend to overlook Williams' contributions when it comes to voting. On a less loaded team, he'd have had an excellent chance at making the AS team, I think.
    I was wondering how they were chosen. That explains it nicely and would make a lot of sense!