Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Byron Buxton the Top Prospect in the Twins Organization?

Is Byron Buxton the Top Prospect in the Twins Organization?

The Byron Buxton hype train has been full speed ahead over the past week. I examined it and made his case as the top prospect in the organization.

Y! SPORTS

I don't think you need to make a case for him. He IS the best prospect in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. And I held out on him until this season. Watching video of this guy tells you all you need to know. But he is also putting up amazing stats. He just went off again tonight. This guy needs to be starting 2014 in New Britain.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    What's his ETA to Fort Myers? Will it happen immediately after their all-star game?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    What's his ETA to Fort Myers? Will it happen immediately after their all-star game?
    Anything else is asinine.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton is great, but I don't think it's clear-cut that he's the best prospect in the organization. What Sano's doing in the FSL is insane. He is Babe-Ruthing that league at age 20.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, having seen both of them play in the Midwest League at about the same age, Buxton's the choice. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't seen him. Sano's incredible and obviously would be the #1 prospect in about 80% of the organizations. In my mind, it's 1a and 1b, but if I have to pick one, it'd be Buxton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Buxton is great, but I don't think it's clear-cut that he's the best prospect in the organization. What Sano's doing in the FSL is insane. He is Babe-Ruthing that league at age 20.
    And Buxton is Willie Mays-ing it in A-ball at 19. And there is no doubt about both his defensive ability and his ability to hit for average.

Imagine:

Hicks, RF
    Mauer, C
    Buxton, CF
    Sano, 1B
    Vargas, DH
    Arcia, LF
    Rosario, 2B
    Plouffe/X, 3B
    Santana/Beresford, SS

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In Trouts first season in CR he played 81 games, so far Buxton has played 53. I calculated Buxtons stats if he stayed on the same pace through 81 games and compared them to trout.

Trout- .362 AVG, 76 R, 113 H, 19 2B, 7 3B, 6 HR, 39 RBI, 164 TB, 45 SB, .454 OBP, .526 SLG, .979 OPS

Buxton- .348 AVG, 89 R, 109 H, 18 2B, 11 3B, 11 HR, 61 RBI, 180 TB, 40 SB, .444 OBP, .578 SLG, 1.023 OPS

They have very similar numbers but Buxton is showing more power with more XBHs. Trout hit over 30 HR in his first season and is on pace for around 30 agains this year, so could Buxton be a 30+ HR hitter too? I think so, I think Buxton will be better than Trout overall too. Hopefully Buxton can continue to put up similar numbers or better numbers than Trout did as he moves up the system all the way into the bigs.

Few Thoughts

1. I've thought Buxton was the Best Twins Prospect since they drafted him. Buxton is like Mike Trout in that he impacts the game in several different areas (Base-Running, Defense, Hitting) where as Miguel Sano has one special, special tool power. Both guys have MVP Upside.

2. On the current season-Sano's numbers are somewhat inflated by BABIP of .409. Sano doesn't project as a .340 hitter in the big leagues. Sano seems to project as more of .290/.380/.570 type of guy in the bigs on a consistent basis.

3. On the Buxton-Trout Comp. Trout was Six Months younger when starting his season at Low A. In the grand scheme of things this might not seem like much (but it's noteworthy).

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    MWL All-Star game is on June 18. I would expect Buxton to be batting leadoff on June 19 or 20 in Fort Myers. He probably won't get to share the field with Sano, however, as the FSL All-Star game is on the 15th. The only way he would is if the Twins brass wants to start Sano off in New Britain, and not on the road, as the Cats have a 9-game road trip from the 18th through the 26th..

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is definatly number one. Just check all the #buxtonfacts from Twitter last night. Those were great!
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Buxton will be the #1 prospect in baseball at the end of the season.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Until Buxton can do what he does now at Fort Myers, Sano is the better prospect.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Buxton or Sano? I bet a lot of teams wish they had that tough decision to make.

Liked 1,189 Times in 694 Posts
    In the long run, it really doesn't matter. 25 years from now, most fans will not care about who the better prospect was in 2013 (okay, many fans don't really care now).

Fans will care about when the player came up to the majors and about the length and success of his major league career.

Yes, I know that y'all need something to discuss and argue about but despite all the attention, they are all still kids (okay, REALLY young men). A lot can happen between now and their arrival in mlb. And, A LOT more can and must happen before they have a successful career. I guess it is a way for you to fill column inches but meaningless in the real scheme of things -- KC has had a lot of "prospects" -- it is how those prospects mature AND what the team does with them, that matters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does it matter?

We have two ridiculously good prospects, and which one is better doesn't make much difference to me. The raving about Buxton going on is pretty cool, but man, Sano is just crushing what is supposed to be a pitchers' league. Those two in the same lineup someday should be a lot of fun.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    In my opinion, having seen both of them play in the Midwest League at about the same age, Buxton's the choice. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't seen him. Sano's incredible and obviously would be the #1 prospect in about 80% of the organizations. In my mind, it's 1a and 1b, but if I have to pick one, it'd be Buxton.
    I agree with this. I thought Sano was the clear choice going into this season. But Buxton has tools that Sano can't touch. I think of Buxton as the future number 3 hitter and center fielder to overshadow all center fielders in Twins history. I think of Sano as the clean-up hitter and third baseman to overshadow all third basemen in Twins history. They're the two best prospects we've had since Mauer. But if I have to choose, I'd choose the guy with the tools who plays a premium position.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice article, Chris.

I'd have to agree that he's overtaken Sano, but only by a slight margin. Safe to say we're all pretty excited to see the both of them arrive in Minneapolis.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I gave Sano the nod this offseason since he had excelled in full season ball while Buxton was only a great scouting report with mixed rk ball success. Buxton has pulled into the lead now but both of these prospects are top 10 overall prospects which is awesome.

Will anyone that was ranking Buxton 5th in the Twins org or lower this offseason come forward?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast