Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Byron Buxton the Top Prospect in the Twins Organization?

I think it really depends what you value more in a prospect.If you like five tool prospects buxton your guy. Power hitters Sano. It's like trying to ask who's better ( babe ruth or mickey mantle, and no I'm not comparing them to two HOF that would be stupid) Personally, I as much as I love Sano, I have to say that just because the defence that Bux provides he's probably going to do more for you organization than Sano if the turn out the way that they are supposed to turn out. However have the two best prospects in baseball is pretty cool.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd say Sano but only because of position. IF Sano can't play 3B its obviously Buxton. Both are very good prospects but tearing up the mid-west league and tearing up the FSL are totally different. I don't think it matters though, the Twins need to promote these guys

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    The real question is, now that Profar is up in the bigs, is Buxton the best prospect in all of baseball?

Methinks, yes.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    I'd say Sano but only because of position. IF Sano can't play 3B its obviously Buxton. Both are very good prospects but tearing up the mid-west league and tearing up the FSL are totally different. I don't think it matters though, the Twins need to promote these guys
    Huh?

SS> C >CF > 2B > 3B >LF/RF/1b

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    Another argument is that Buxton is performing much better than Sano did in the same league (different home park) last year. Or that prospect rankings take more into account than just stats. It is basically splitting hairs at this point though.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    And Buxton is Willie Mays-ing it in A-ball at 19.
    At 6 months older, Willie Mays was Willie Mays-ing it (1.300+ OPS) in AAA, not 1.000+ OPS in A. That's a big difference. I'm a Buxton fan but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually approach this question a little differently than most people - I'm always a little hesitant to get my hopes up too much based on Single-A results. I've seen those flame out and die in the high minors too often. My approach combines raw potential with actually being closer to making a difference at the parent club.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sano can do in New Britain. Right now, though, I'm more interested in following Alex Meyer and Kyle Gibson.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Buxton is leading in BA/OBP. Sano is leading in HR & RBI. Each is near the top in everything else. Do you value speed over raw power? Don't think so. Until they play in the same league together a slight edge to Sano because of his power lead.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josecordoba View Post
    2. On the current season-Sano's numbers are somewhat inflated by BABIP of .409. Sano doesn't project as a .340 hitter in the big leagues. Sano seems to project as more of .290/.380/.570 type of guy in the bigs on a consistent basis.
    Yes, I would be OK with a .950 OPS guy, that would be pretty awesome!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The danger in a thread like this is that we tend to almost negate on to tout the other. In reality, both are tremendous prospects and the Twins, and us as fans, should be thrilled with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Buxton is great, but I don't think it's clear-cut that he's the best prospect in the organization. What Sano's doing in the FSL is insane. He is Babe-Ruthing that league at age 20.
    Buxton's the best prospect in our system and very close to the best player in all of the minors, if he isn't already. Sano has the 80 power, but Buxton has the louder tools overall and projects to play an up the middle position.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Huh?

SS> C >CF > 2B > 3B >LF/RF/1b
    Catcher is ahead of Shortstop, and 3B might be ahead of 2B but otherwise I agree.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson View Post
    Catcher is ahead of Shortstop, and 3B might be ahead of 2B but otherwise I agree.
    Bill James was the first I saw to point out that you can construct that ordering of positions based on how low a player's offense can go before he loses his starting job there. Catcher is so different from all the other positions that it's hard to picture it being on any spectrum at all, but in a world where a Drew Butera doesn't get DFAed it says a lot toward putting C all the way to the left. I don't think a manager will put up with as low an OPS from his third baseman as from his second baseman, so I can't go along with you in putting those two close or in opposite order.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Parks over at baseball prospectus wrote a poem about Buxton.

Baseball Prospectus | BP Unfiltered: Buxton-ing (a poem)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Bill James was the first I saw to point out that you can construct that ordering of positions based on how low a player's offense can go before he loses his starting job there. Catcher is so different from all the other positions that it's hard to picture it being on any spectrum at all, but in a world where a Drew Butera doesn't get DFAed it says a lot toward putting C all the way to the left. I don't think a manager will put up with as low an OPS from his third baseman as from his second baseman, so I can't go along with you in putting those two close or in opposite order.
    I'm not that keen on the James calculation because it is mostly based on offensive value. A lot of teams put big guys at first base because it's the only position they can play, especially in the NL. That doesn't mean the position is less important defensively than, say LF.

Catcher is the most valuable position despite the fact that the numerical analysis of catching effectiveness is less accurate than any other position. The only other guy on the field who has more to do with preventing runs is the pitcher.

That's how I define defensive value; How many outs does the position typically influence? If that's the criterion, I'd rank it this way: P>C>SS>CF>2B>3B>1B>RF/LF

Part of that is tied to level of difficulty. 3B is tougher than 1B because of the throw. But part of it is how often a guy touches the ball. I put a higher value on 1B than most because he touches the ball a lot and can either save or cause a lot of errors.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Anything else is asinine.
    Look who is running the asylem, same guy who kept Drew Butera over Joe Benson...

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    On Keith Law's chat today he reiterated the Eric Davis comp after someone asked if he'd like to revise that comp.

Law said "if Eric Davis stays health he would have been a HOFer." Now, Eric Davis is a bit before my time (especially since he was NL), so I went to good old Baseball Reference and looked up Davis.

Holy Crap.

1987 was quite a year (even with 30 games missed).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    At 6 months older, Willie Mays was Willie Mays-ing it (1.300+ OPS) in AAA, not 1.000+ OPS in A. That's a big difference. I'm a Buxton fan but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    My post was in response to the "Babe Ruth" comment about Sano. Is Sano as good as Babe Ruth at age 20? Obviously not, but you would rather respond to the Mays-Buxton comment. Gotcha.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I had the knowledge to construct a list for all prospects, I bet Buxton and Sano would be separated by no more than 5 spots. So it doesn't really matter, as Seth says.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I had the knowledge to construct a list for all prospects, I bet Buxton and Sano would be separated by no more than 5 spots. So it doesn't really matter, as Seth says.
    Law recently did an update with Buxton #2 (behind Taveras of StL) and Sano #6.
    Papers...business papers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast