Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Daily Audio: Could Appel Be Coming?

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Daily Audio: Could Appel Be Coming?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was just on Kfan dotcom and was on the Common Mans website and he had a list of the "Most poposterus statements uttered in 13" and I saw one on there that kinda made me mad that he thought it was poposterus, here it is-

80) Jim Callis (Baseball America): "Minor Leaguers Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano could become close approximation to Mike Trout and Bryce Harper."

Why does he think thats poposterus? I mean Buxton had so much hype before the season and hes done better than people thought he would, same with Sano. They have the talent to be as good as those two or better.

Oh and good job on the podcast, they are getting better each time.
    Last edited by Red Bull; 06-05-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You guys should play some Devin the Dude- Doobie Ashtray as your openning song...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look, if Appel or Gray fall in their laps, the Twins would be VERY mistaken not to select either one of them. I cannot believe there is any doubt about this.

Blog Entries
    Smith isn't going to be a first baseman. He is likely to be a left fielder or maybe a right fielder. Organizations know this.

Blog Entries
    And yes, Appel will be up somewhere this year. Whatever team can limit his innings in AA or whatever and then give him a good 30 innings in September. Gray is similar, but with less innings.

Blog Entries
    Appel is clearly the best pick. Gray is second. I would say Stewart is third. I am skeptical about Bryant and like a few pitchers ahead of him. To not take one of those first three is a mistake.

Blog Entries
    Appel is going to sign. What the hell? He is GOING TO SIGN. He would have to be an absolute idiot not to.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you post this on libsyn?
    I live in a country where dropbox is blocked

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Smith isn't going to be a first baseman. He is likely to be a left fielder or maybe a right fielder. Organizations know this.
    I can only tell you from the Twins perspective, but if they drafted Smith, he would 100% be a first baseman. He could handle the outfield, but would be a Gold Glove first baseman.

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I was just thinking yesterday, "I wonder if the Twins even want Appel to fall to them."

I think most of us fans do, but I'm curious if the Twins would like that.

If that does happen and we end up with Appel, think back to a year ago, and imagine if you could tell 1-year-ago you that the Twins were going to end up with Appel and Buxton in their farm system.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Look, if Appel or Gray fall in their laps, the Twins would be VERY mistaken not to select either one of them. I cannot believe there is any doubt about this.
    the twins likely wouldn't go much over slot for appel and that would still represent a decrease of what he was likely offered by the 'stros and rejected last year. after going back to school to put himself in a higher leverage position, why would he sign for that?

i think appel is going to break the draft in its current iteration. the 'stros aren't going to pick him when they could get at least equal value with gray and after that the only team that could likely lure him into signing would be the cubs. if they pass, i think it's hello st. paul saints for him - it could get very interesting.

Boras' goal might be to break the draft.

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Can you post this on libsyn?
    I live in a country where dropbox is blocked
    I'll work on getting it under the TwinsDaily.com domain.

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Boras' goal might be to break the draft.
    I wouldn't be shocked if MLB's strategy might be to break Boras.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Appel is there, I think we should take him. He's one of the two best players on the board, and there's other good reasons. For one, he has little leverage and if he wants to be in MLB, he may have to accept slot or even a bit below. What's he going to do if the Twins say 4M and hold? He slid once before and turned down a pay day. He might get a bit bigger one, but he's also moving into a tougher 2014 class. You dance with the devil enough, and you will get burned. Second, if the Twins don't sign him, they get the #5 pick in a much deeper draft next year along with whatever pick they earn this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    the twins likely wouldn't go much over slot for appel and that would still represent a decrease of what he was likely offered by the 'stros and rejected last year. after going back to school to put himself in a higher leverage position, why would he sign for that?

i think appel is going to break the draft in its current iteration. the 'stros aren't going to pick him when they could get at least equal value with gray and after that the only team that could likely lure him into signing would be the cubs. if they pass, i think it's hello st. paul saints for him - it could get very interesting.
    The Saints? Then what, go back into the draft again next year? The Astros are going to have the 1st pick for the 3rd year in a row what will change? Appel will be a top four pick and make more than the Pirates offered last year and Boras and Appel will get to have their petty victory and crow about how smart they are even if they are secretly disappointed he didn't go #1.

On the technical aspects of the actual podcast, Bonnes and Nygard's audio sounded great. Don't change a thing.

Stohs' audio was worse than the last one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I was just thinking yesterday, "I wonder if the Twins even want Appel to fall to them."

I think most of us fans do, but I'm curious if the Twins would like that.

If that does happen and we end up with Appel, think back to a year ago, and imagine if you could tell 1-year-ago you that the Twins were going to end up with Appel and Buxton in their farm system.
    My interpretation from a LEN article in today's Strib was that the Twins want to avoid Boras--even if it means passing on an elite player.

"Boras trying to 'break' the draft"? If so, clearly MLB would act to break Boras--invoking the "for the good of the game" defense.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Saints? Then what, go back into the draft again next year? The Astros are going to have the 1st pick for the 3rd year in a row what will change? Appel will be a top four pick and make more than the Pirates offered last year and Boras and Appel will get to have their petty victory and crow about how smart they are even if they are secretly disappointed he didn't go #1.
    i believe draft rights last a year. he'd eventually become a free agent.

which gets you to thinking....appel is probably worth a $6-7 million dollar bonus in the current draft structure but if he were to hit free agency, his value likely doubles. much of that would be for the rarity of the commodity - in very few places can a team spend whatever they want on young, major league-ready talent (cuba and japan come to mind) so he'd likely induce a frenzy.
    Last edited by Vervehound; 06-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast