Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Daily Audio: Could Appel Be Coming?

Really like this podcast--would love a way to subscribe and download to a mobile device.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    i believe draft rights last a year. he'd eventually become a free agent.

which gets you to thinking....appel is probably worth a $6-7 million dollar bonus in the current draft structure but if he were to hit free agency, his value likely doubles. much of that would be for the rarity of the commodity - in very few places can a team spend whatever they want on young, major league-ready talent (cuba and japan come to mind) so he'd likely induce a frenzy.
    Yes - but if he gets drafted again next year he's in the same boat. He will only be a free agent after a draft passes in which he is not selected. That means 40 rounds each year. My guess is it will be a few years before he can do that. There will always be some team willing to throw away a round 30 pick just on the off-chance he's ready to commit.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB might even ask a team to keep drafting him just to block him from becoming a free agent. Boras has screwed up enough of the system as it is.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    MLB might even ask a team to keep drafting him just to block him from becoming a free agent. Boras has screwed up enough of the system as it is.
    I doubt they'd even have to ask. I'm sure the small revenue clubs would line up to toss a 20th rounder at him to make sure the draft doesn't become the farce it used to be.

I wonder if the idea that Appel will be a hard sign is getting blown out of proportion. Last year there was the notion that he would be difficult and he did have leverage, but what if it was a lot of huffing and puffing? Pre draft, sure Boras and his client are going to demand top dollar, but what if they actually would have signed for slot value in 2012 or perhaps just a shade more? We will never know because the Astros had no intention of paying slot, their stratagy appeared to be to go under.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12