Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: I can't start a new paragraph

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can't start a new paragraph

I wanted to post in a new thread. When I hit 'enter' to start a new line, the curser stays put. Even hitting the space bar until it comes to the end of the line causes problems. Anybody else having this issue?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What browser and version?

Blog Entries
    Internet explorer, 10.0

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Argh, I need to find a copy of IE10.

Blog Entries
    LOL, sorry

I was able to make the thread I wanted(draft signings) using my other computer that has V9.0

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I have the same issues with that.ie10 kind of blows. I use my galaxy to type and that works better usually.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    LOL, sorry

I was able to make the thread I wanted(draft signings) using my other computer that has V9.0
    It's a difficult situation as a developer. IE8 (don't really care about it) and IE9 (a decent but flawed browser) are still far more prevalent than IE10 and because Microsoft is such a peach about everything, you can only have one *real* version of IE installed on each machine (along with the correct OS as well, don't get me started on that), so I choose IE9.

But considering just how many ****ed up problems we're seeing with IE10, I may have to make the switch. It looks like Microsoft is up to their old tricks again. Stuff that works in every other browser (even IE9) seems to fail in IE10.

Honestly, as a developer, I implore the userbase of TD to never, ever use IE unless you are forced to do it. Do not reward Microsoft for spending 10+ years trying to break the internet because they refuse to cut ties with bad decisions they made years ago in malice (part of the reason why IE sucks so hard is because MS intentionally tried to "split" the internet and therefore kill Netscape, their chief rival).

Install Chrome. Install Firefox. I don't care what you use... Just as long as it ain't IE. Microsoft deserves to be driven out of the market for the billions of dollars in added development they caused in the name of "winning" the browser war.

The thing is, they've had a dozen opportunities to fix these problems but refuse to do it at every turn. If they simply released IE9 for Win XP, they'd earn a ton of goodwill from the development community. But they refuse to do it so **** them.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the same thing with IE10.

Usually I use Chrome, but during the game I have to use IE10. I'm streaming the game via MLB.tv, and Chrome just seems to take up too many resources - the streaming feed inevitably crashes and I have to restart the game. IE10 doesn't have the same problem, so short of buying a new computer I'm stuck with IE10 whenever the game is on.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I've seen the same thing with IE10.

Usually I use Chrome, but during the game I have to use IE10. I'm streaming the game via MLB.tv, and Chrome just seems to take up too many resources - the streaming feed inevitably crashes and I have to restart the game. IE10 doesn't have the same problem, so short of buying a new computer I'm stuck with IE10 whenever the game is on.
    What about running the game in IE10 and then browsing in Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    What about running the game in IE10 and then browsing in Chrome?
    I think that's what IP is doing.

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    I was having the same problem. My work-around was to open Word, create a paragraph break, and copied/pasted it into the window. Not pretty, but it worked in a pinch.

Liked 1,292 Times in 746 Posts
    After repeated groans to Brock about this, I've switched to Chrome when I want to read TD (and made TD my home page on Chrome). Much better experience.

But I actually had the "paragraph problem" on the old site when using IE8.

Funniest thing to me about IE10 is the way it screws up so many of the articles that you click into from msn.com. Wouldn't you think MS would at least try to get things right on a site they provide?

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what all the IE10 talk is about but I'm still stuck in the 80's technology. Just wanted to say that I used to be able to start new paragraphs at work and now I can't. I can start new paragraphs on my I-pad at home. OK... I've raised my hand and I feel counted.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    If you're FORCED to use IE10 on your machine (if you're not, just switch, please), try running in IE9 compatibility mode. Here's how to do it.

How to make Internet Explorer 10 run in compatibility mode

Whatever is causing this problem, it's not unique to this site or vBulletin in general. I'm seeing scattered reports of IE10 screwing up rich text editors all over the place.

Yay, Microsoft. Whoo-hoo. Love those guys in Redmond.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I found a fix. I have no idea when I'll be able to update it because it's a lengthy process.

In the meantime, switch from IE or, if you're forced to use that abomination of a browser, run it in compatibility mode.

Some of you may wonder why I so routinely bash Microsoft's browsers. Well, I'll put it this way:

Imagine you're a car mechanic. There is a company out there that intentionally designs their cars to be as difficult as possible to work on and intentionally designs their cars to be incompatible with every other car on the market in every way possible.

Then that company somehow successfully lobbies to mandate that every mechanic in the country be required to work on this car and charge no more for it than every other, easy to work on, car on the market.

That has been the life of every web developer for the past ten years. There's a damned good reason why every last one of us despises everything about Internet Explorer. It has been the main source of hell for the entire development community for the better part of ten years and Microsoft refuses to address the problem in a meaningful way.

In short, don't use their awful browser if you have the choice. The same way you'd trust your auto mechanic to say "don't buy that car, it's unreliable junk", listen to a developer that says "don't use Internet Explorer, it only encourages the bastards".

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I may have found a MacGuyver-style hack to fix this. Can someone with the craptastic IE10 test it and let me know?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I may have found a MacGuyver-style hack to fix this. Can someone with the craptastic IE10 test it and let me know?
    Digital duct tape?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's