Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Minnesota Twins: Could Promotion of Miguel Sano Mean a 2014 Call-up?

Minnesota Twins: Could Promotion of Miguel Sano Mean a 2014 Call-up?

I looked at what the promotion of Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario could mean for the Twins next year.

Sano has also drawn a few comparisons to Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who was a year younger than Sano when he was in the Florida State League, but he played the entire season there and only batted .274/.333/.421. Sano batted .330/.424/.655 with Ft. Myers in the FSL before being promoted Sunday.
    You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins: Could Promotion of Miguel Sano Mean a 2014 Call-up? at Yahoo! Sports.

Could Sano start 2014 with the Twins? Will Rosario beat him to the majors?
    I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia got a similarly timed promotion from Ft. Myers in 2012 and debuted in MLB in early 2013. He was also a year older than Sano at the time, though, and was basically repeating A+. I highly doubt Sano opens 2014 in MLB, but it would be exciting to see him continue dominating and make a quick debut. Definitely impressive that he forced a promotion to AA already.

I don't think the Cabrera stat line is of much value in comparison. Superstars rarely follow a "linear" development path -- they often make huge adjustments at the MLB level to get where they are.

That said, if I had to indulge in a highly speculative minor league comparison for Sano, it might be Giancarlo Stanton. Sano is again tracking a year later in age, but the performances and promotions have some similarity so far. Stanton was promoted to MLB straight from AA around age 20 and a half, which would also mean early 2014 for Sano. But the Marlins are very agressive in that regard.