Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International Talk: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries

International Talk: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

We mentioned him in the international signings thread. Since he doesn't count against the pool and would fit right into the next wave at a position of need, the Twins should go hard after him. Hard throwing pitcher.

Here's an article on him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    That's a better way to spend money than better retreads.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Teams interested in Gonzalez:
    Dodgers, Red Sox, Twins, Cubs, Rangers
    One of these teams is not like the others, One of these teams just doesn't belong.

I would be SHOCKED if the Twins were the highest bidder among those clubs.

Also saw that he had bone spurs removed from his elbow while he was suspended, but is believed to be fully healthy. (Dodgers eyeing Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez)

It would be nice to see the Twins continue to add (upside) arms, but I don't see this one happening.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I don't see Terry Ryan's FO being aggressive and outbidding other teams for free agents, whether they be international, MLB, or minor league in nature. I hope to be proven wrong some day.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't see Terry Ryan's FO being aggressive and outbidding other teams for free agents, whether they be international, MLB, or minor league in nature. I hope to be proven wrong some day.
    Sano?!?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TD Mac View Post
    Sano?!?
    And that happened in a year when MLB payroll dropped from the previous season.

Senior Member MVP
    Sano?!?

Terry Ryan was not GM.....nor was he when they signed jack morris to a big deal. I don't think it is in Ryan's philosophy to spend big. He could be right, he could be wrong.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Sano?!?
    That was Bill Smith.

I want him but that's assuming he's a hard thrower. Every article I've read states his fastball is in the 90's. That's pretty vague. 92 MPH likely does not warrent the same offer that 96 MPH does. I guess we'll have to wait until his workout though it seems strange we can't find a little better scouting reports considering he has pitched in international competitions since 2009.

Blog Entries
    You can never have enough pitching... Agree if he's a 92 MPH guy, but I thought that article implied front of the rotation stuff. If that's true, given his age and development, he fits very nice into the next wave, and given the cuts in payroll, this is the type of high spending that makes a ton more sense. They compete in the international FA market every year and sign guys, so I don't see why they couldn't get him if they wanted him.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Terry Ryan was not GM.....nor was he when they signed jack morris to a big deal. I don't think it is in Ryan's philosophy to spend big. He could be right, he could be wrong.....

Amaurys Minier says "hi."

http://twinsdaily.com/twins-minor-le...-signings.html
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    That was spending inside the new system, which sets what a team can spend. Not really true free agency. This guy is a true free agent, with no slots/limits applying.
    Lighten up Francis....

I'm skeptical as well but, if his advisors have any brains, they'll look hard at the Twins' starting rotation and his competition.
    "You're better than him... him... him... Hey, maybe this might be a good idea"
    But, then again, maybe they are a little short sighted and want the biggest bonus. Never happens, right?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    The Twins have been quoted as saying they are impressed with this year's international crop, and they have one of the largest war chests. So let's not overreact if this Gonzales guy signs elsewhere. The Twins have done rather well by us in the international arena. For example, last year they signed the #7 and #22 ranked guys (Minier and Silva).

Oh, and those who think the GM has a huge impact on all of this can't offer us a shred of real evidence to support this notion. It's a big department, with a big budget, and the GM doesn't dictate every decision, including who to sign. Some people want to believe that Sano would not have been signed if Ryan had been the GM. I call bull.

Senior Member MVP
    I agree, CK, that there is great opportunity in MN. And the twins have shown a willingness to re-sign their own to good money. But it is probably hard to pass on the more immediate payout.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Most these kids come from relative poverty. For a lot of them, baseball is more than a game- it's a way to offer their families a better life. It's all about the money, and quite honestly, that doesn't bother me at all. Good for them.

I would be absolutely stunned if the Twins topped Chicago, Boston, LA and Texas to get this guy as a FA. I'm OK with that, given the large sum we have to spend on the international signing period.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Blog Entries
    To reiteratre, he's a Cuban defector. Signing him does not count against the international pool.

Given his age/level, he fits in very nicely to what the Twins have coming up. This is a guy they should be aggressive with, especially given that they could likely have him for less than what they reduced payroll by this season.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gonzalez has been declared a free agent. I believe I read this morning one exec saying that buying Key West and offering it to Gonzalez still wouldn't be enough.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Ya never know; I was reading the Pioneer Press article on Arcia, and the reason he signed with us was because our scout Juan Padilla befriended him as a young guy.

The Twins are doing a better and better job in Latin America it seems to me.

Lets send Tony O to talk to him

Blog Entries
    30 million is right about what the largest contracts given to Cubans has been... So how does this guy relate in comparison to a Jose Contreras?

Blog Entries
    And if this is true... I think the Twins are out. I'd give it to him; it would certainly justify the lower budgets over the next few seasons, but no way TR and company does.

Cuban free agent Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez could sign for $60 million - Over the Monster

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast