Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: International Talk: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Rosenthal on Foxsports.com says that his sources say that the Dodger's interest is not as fervent as has been portrayed. Maybe price is not as high as has been speculated. Of course an agent would never make it sound like the Dodgers were going to bid 50 million when they are not.

Dodgers Unlikely To Pursue Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

I wonder if this makes it any more likely that we can sneak in there with a bid.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would hope the Twins would find the money to sign him. We need major league ready starting pitching ASAP.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if we can outbid the redsox/yankees, but I think we have to at least try. Agreed with Beckmt, we need ML ready impact pitching, and he's about as close to it gets... Given his age, this makes much more sense than browing the FA market this offseason. I'd rather give him 50M than a Hughes type guy...

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    If money-dumping Dodgers have lost interest, I wonder if there's some serious redflags (injury/age/peds)...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    If money-dumping Dodgers have lost interest, I wonder if there's some serious redflags (injury/age/peds)...
    I have actually wondered what the limits of the Dodger's budget is. They have tried to show that it is limitless but every team (even the Yankees) has a limit. Additionally the Dodgers have a 200M extension with Kershaw on the horizon and they will be maxing out the luxury tax penalties.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    Ben Badler at BA says that Gonzalez' ceiling is a #3 starter and floor is a long reliever. I don't have a subscription, can anyone give any more details? That isn't a very glowing assesment and typically #3 starters and long relievers don't throw hard or strike many batters out. Or maybe I just shouldn't be comparing him to the Twins #3 starters and long relievers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    From Keith Law:

Haven't seen except a little video. Have talked to several scouts who did, general reports seem to have him as a likely above-average MLB starter, fastball up to 96, plus slider, four pitches, arm works. I can't imagine dealing with the inflation in Cuban free agents, but he's got to be worth $40MM+ in this market.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Phillies win the bidding war. 6 yr, $50m with a vesting option. Likely to become the largest contract ever for an international signee.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    That's a lot, for a supposedly mid-rotation starter. Sometimes the unknown has more value than the known.

Senior Member All-Star
    The total contract is big for a mid-rotation guy, but $8 million per year really isn't.

I wonder about that #3 starter stuff though. Kind of strange it came out in the week leading up to his signing. Seems to me things like that might get passed around with the intent to drive his price down or chase other teams away. Most guys with 96 mph fastballs have higher upside, particularly guys who throw 96 mph while still shaking two years of rust off.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    That's a lot, for a supposedly mid-rotation starter. Sometimes the unknown has more value than the known.
    As opposed to what guys like Buehrle, Wilson and Jackson have signed for?

Senior Member All-Star
    He ends up signing for the reduced sum of 3 years at $12 million.

Blah, blah, blah 29 other clubs also passed on him but he's not worth a gamble for the Twins at say 3 years at $15 million? That's #5 starter/swingman money. Well for most teams.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 08-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Injury concerns scared most teams away.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    $4MM a year is too much to risk on a guy with upside, but signing KC is a good idea?
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    $4MM a year is too much to risk on a guy with upside, but signing KC is a good idea?
    The original deal was 6 years for 50M+. Due to elbow concerns, it was revised to 3 years for 12M by the same team. Anyone see any red flags here?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The original deal was 6 years for 50M+. Due to elbow concerns, it was revised to 3 years for 12M by the same team. Anyone see any red flags here?
    Major red flags but people are still going to complain about the front office because that's the hip thing to do now of days. Ben Badler tweeted today that the highest praise he heard from a scout was a #3 pitcher, while several told him they see him as a middle reliever. Add in an apparent major injury concern and no thanks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Major red flags but people are still going to complain about the front office because that's the hip thing to do now of days. Ben Badler tweeted today that the highest praise he heard from a scout was a #3 pitcher, while several told him they see him as a middle reliever. Add in an apparent major injury concern and no thanks.
    You don't think the Twins could use a #3 starter for just 3/12?
    This team gave Nick Blackburn, at best a #5 starter, 4/14.
    This team gave Kevin Correia, at best a #5 starter, 2/10.

I can see why most teams would shy away from him. Most teams already have a #3 pitcher.
    But for a team as devoid of starting pitching as the Twins, a team with nothing but #5/AAAA pitchers, a team literally drowning in payroll flexibility, I just don't see that much risk.
    4 million per, and 12 million total really isnt that much to swallow if it doesn't work out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it correct to assume that he would sign with the Twins for the same contract?

In Gonzalez' case, he also wants to set himself up for his next contract. I really don't think the a Twins are an ideal place for that to happen. They have had little success developing pitchers. For the last two years, Target Field has been 10th in park factor leaning towards a hitter's park. Citizen's Bank has been 19th and 5th. The Twins have several players who are among the poorest defensively at their positions. The Twins play in the AL.

If the offers had been comparable, I would think an agent would advise going to the Phillies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast