Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: International Talk: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Is it correct to assume that he would sign with the Twins for the same contract?

In Gonzalez' case, he also wants to set himself up for his next contract. I really don't think the a Twins are an ideal place for that to happen. They have had little success developing pitchers. For the last two years, Target Field has been 10th in park factor leaning towards a hitter's park. Citizen's Bank has been 19th and 5th. The Twins have several players who are among the poorest defensively at their positions. The Twins play in the AL.

If the offers had been comparable, I would think an agent would advise going to the Phillies.
    Okay, then say we offer 4/24? After all, with the payroll flexibility the Twins have right now, is that extra $2 MM per going to matter all that much?
    Tell me where else the Twins are going to find a #3 starter for $6 million per year? They just paid $5 million per for a #5 starter.
    Look, I'm just saying the Twins need to change their approach. If you want to, you can find flaws and red flags regarding any and all international free agents. At some point the Twins are going to have to say, "you know what, this guy is a risk. We might get burned, but hey, right now we can afford it. We are going to go out on a limb and take a chance on one of these guys."

The Twins are too risk adverse when it comes to these types of players, IMO.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I assume you are all opposed to josh Johnson and lincecum and every injured ML pitcher? They are rolling in money, what is the harm in trying? I will take this all back if they sign Tanaka, btw.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If the offers had been comparable, I would think an agent would advise going to the Phillies.
    The Phillies also pitch in a park (true or not) that has a reputation as a bandbox and is about to undergo a major rebuild most likely.

I think, on a team with a lot of immediate opportunities, in a relatively pitcher friendly park, might be a nice place to establish a career. One could make the case either way.

I do know that if there is any team in the league that has some wiggle room to gamble on red flags, it's the Twins. Doesn't have to be this one necessarily, but it shouldn't deter us automatically either.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Okay, then say we offer 4/24? After all, with the payroll flexibility the Twins have right now, is that extra $2 MM per going to matter all that much?
    Tell me where else the Twins are going to find a #3 starter for $6 million per year? They just paid $5 million per for a #5 starter.
    Look, I'm just saying the Twins need to change their approach. If you want to, you can find flaws and red flags regarding any and all international free agents. At some point the Twins are going to have to say, "you know what, this guy is a risk. We might get burned, but hey, right now we can afford it. We are going to go out on a limb and take a chance on one of these guys."

The Twins are too risk adverse when it comes to these types of players, IMO.
    After the Phillies cut their deal by over half, you feel the Twins should have swooped in? This is a player who hasn't played organized ball in over 2 years and now has a major injury concern. Your basic rational is they should do it since they can afford to, which incidentally every other team can also. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, if you think the Twins or most teams for that matter, will make this type of deal.
    Last edited by howieramone; 08-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    After the Phillies cut their deal by over half, you feel the Twins should have swooped in? This is a player who hasn't played organized ball in over 2 years and now has a major injury concern. Your basic rational is they should do it since they can afford to, which incidentally every other team can also. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, if you think the Twins or most teams for that matter, will make this type of deal.
    Sure most other teams could, but the Twins aren't other teams and to pretend they are even in remotely the same situations is disingenuous. The Twins have the need and the money to sign a rotation upgrade. Clearly they just don't have the will. That is disappointing.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Sure most other teams could, but the Twins aren't other teams and to pretend they are even in remotely the same situations is disingenuous. The Twins have the need and the money to sign a rotation upgrade. Clearly they just don't have the will. That is disappointing.
    I believe the Twins are similar to more teams than they are dissimilar to. I agree the Twins have the need and money to sign a rotation upgrade. My post was meant to address Gonzalez only and I apologize if I didn't make that clear.
    Last edited by howieramone; 08-30-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Right, but a 3 year $15 million deal would have had next to no impact on the Twins financially. Their payroll flexibility is about to become obscene for a team in a brand new ballpark. The Twins already felt comfortable enough blowing that money on two guys who were much more certain to be busts in Correia and Pelfrey, neither of whom anyone would ever say had the ceiling of a #3 pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    I believe the Twins are similar to more teams than they are dissimilar to. I agree the Twins have the need and money to sign a rotation upgrade. My post was meant to address Gonzalez only and I apologize if I didn't make that clear.
    Can you explain why you think the Twins are similar to most teams when it comes to starting pitching? I think current rotation results alone would eliminate all but about 2 or 3 teams. When you add in "payroll flexibility", lack of long term commitments/answers and our lack of internal options for next seasons rotation I would guess that number drops to 0. I haven't looked this up but I have a strong hunch the Twins are the only team in the bottom 10 of ERA, will have $60+ million available for FA's, and have 1, possibly 2, pitchers "locked" into the 2014 rotation to start the season (even those come with big questions).

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Right, but a 3 year $15 million deal would have had next to no impact on the Twins financially. Their payroll flexibility is about to become obscene for a team in a brand new ballpark. The Twins already felt comfortable enough blowing that money on two guys who were much more certain to be busts in Correia and Pelfrey, neither of whom anyone would ever say had the ceiling of a #3 pitcher.
    I don't know, I heard Correia was a darn good pitcher.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I beg to differ....One of These Teams is Not Like the Other!

Twins last-place SP K/9 rate: 4.83
    29th-rated team SP K/9 rate: 6.11

The 29th-rated team (Indians) is numerically closer to the 12th-ranked team in K/9 than the Twins are to the Indians.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Essentially the guy failed his physical. The team and the agent reached an agreement on a different contract. Somehow the Twins were supposed to know that the guy failed his physical to offer a better contract??

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Essentially the guy failed his physical. The team and the agent reached an agreement on a different contract. Somehow the Twins were supposed to know that the guy failed his physical to offer a better contract??
    Right. The only thing worse for a player's leverage than failing a Physical is failing a second Physical with a different team. I doubt the Agent contacted any other teams after that happened and just worked on a deal with the Phillies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234