Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 89

Thread: 2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

  1. #1

    2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

    And with the 7th (?) pick in the 2014 MLB First Year Player Draft the Minnesota Twins select ______________!

    Too soon???

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTwinsFan View Post
    And with the 7th (?) pick in the 2014 MLB First Year Player Draft the Minnesota Twins select ______________!

    Too soon???
    Haha, while clearly too soon, next year is supposed to be a super deep class. Is it bad that I hope the Twins go on a big losing streak at some point to draft higher? I would love for them to be able to draft Trea Turner.

    From Christopher Crawford:
    "Obviously there's a long way to go, but they start the year on top of my board," an NL scouting director said. "Seeing what Turner did at shortstop this year, with true 80 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] speed and some offensive projection, that's obviously appealing. He's a true leadoff hitter, the type of guy who can steal you a bunch of bases and most importantly, he can get on base."

    Crawford wrote an article for ESPN, insider, about the top prospects for next years draft. Looks so much stronger. Link below:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1049

  3. #3
    Ah yes...the prototypical leadoff hitter. I think I just read in a thread somewhere that the Twins don't really need a SS with a big bat/hit skill, rather an adequate bat with a good glove considering the monsters we have in Sano, Buxton, et al.

  4. #4
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Yes, obviously it's WAY TOO early to say anything of significance. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about what's already out there.

    I've talked to people within the organization about it already. The hype that there is big-time talent is real. What's not being talked about as frequently is the drop off after the big-time talent. Yes, it could all change.

    At this point, instead of a big 3, there might be a big 7 or 8. This year, the second, third, fourth tier of the draft (depending on how you break them up) probably lasted until the 40s or mid-50s. Guys that the "experts" could have seen going in the first round. At this point, that group of guys for the 2014 draft is significantly less. Pitching will be good, but hitters appear pretty weak.

    It's not too early to talk about the big names:
    College pitchers: Carlos Rodon (NC State) and Tyler Beede (Vandy) are going to have to work hard to NOT be Top 5 picks. Rodon may have gone 1-1 this year. Beede was a first-round pick two years ago. Michael Cedaroth (San Diego State) hits triple-digits on the gun, but has a very violent delivery (per Twins source). Nick Burdi (Louisville) has been a plus-fastball/plus-slider closer. He was drafted by the Twins out of high school and should start next year.

    College hitters: Trae Turner (NC State shortstop). You should just watch him play. Everybody that does gets a man-crush.

    High school hitters: Alex Jackson (California catcher) is my favorite. He is so advanced offensively that he might just get moved to the outfield so he can move quicker (a la Harper and Myers). Nick Gordon (Florida shortsop) has the bloodlines and the ability to stay at shortstop.

    High school pitcher: Touki Toussaint (Florida) belongs in the top 5 mix. He was pretty filthy in the PG Showcase at the Metrodome last week. Justus Sheffield (Tennessee) is the younger brother of a favorite of mine, Jordan Sheffield, who blew his arm out this year.

    Georgia prep: Michael Gettys (3B/OF/P). Gettys is going to seriously climb rankings this summer, especially if he can continue the show he put on last week. He can throw 100 from the OF, high-90s off of the mound and has power (and a big frame). And the Twins love kids from Georgia.

    I guess that's an early look at a Top 10, eh?

  5. #5
    Jeremy, great post! Based on need, not necessarily BPA, it looks like Turner would be our best get. Unless we have a precipitous fall soon, I'd bet we don't have a pick inside the top 5, thus, putting us out of contention for Turner. Jackson sounds intriguing (future Mauer replacement?), but not quite as much if he doesn't catch. How bout that...transitioning from one HS catcher to another! Coincidence? No says me!

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,868
    Like
    12
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Let's pump it up around here!
    Papers...business papers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Yes, obviously it's WAY TOO early to say anything of significance. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about what's already out there.

    I've talked to people within the organization about it already. The hype that there is big-time talent is real. What's not being talked about as frequently is the drop off after the big-time talent. Yes, it could all change.

    At this point, instead of a big 3, there might be a big 7 or 8. This year, the second, third, fourth tier of the draft (depending on how you break them up) probably lasted until the 40s or mid-50s. Guys that the "experts" could have seen going in the first round. At this point, that group of guys for the 2014 draft is significantly less. Pitching will be good, but hitters appear pretty weak.

    It's not too early to talk about the big names:
    College pitchers: Carlos Rodon (NC State) and Tyler Beede (Vandy) are going to have to work hard to NOT be Top 5 picks. Rodon may have gone 1-1 this year. Beede was a first-round pick two years ago. Michael Cedaroth (San Diego State) hits triple-digits on the gun, but has a very violent delivery (per Twins source). Nick Burdi (Louisville) has been a plus-fastball/plus-slider closer. He was drafted by the Twins out of high school and should start next year.

    College hitters: Trae Turner (NC State shortstop). You should just watch him play. Everybody that does gets a man-crush.

    High school hitters: Alex Jackson (California catcher) is my favorite. He is so advanced offensively that he might just get moved to the outfield so he can move quicker (a la Harper and Myers). Nick Gordon (Florida shortsop) has the bloodlines and the ability to stay at shortstop.

    High school pitcher: Touki Toussaint (Florida) belongs in the top 5 mix. He was pretty filthy in the PG Showcase at the Metrodome last week. Justus Sheffield (Tennessee) is the younger brother of a favorite of mine, Jordan Sheffield, who blew his arm out this year.

    Georgia prep: Michael Gettys (3B/OF/P). Gettys is going to seriously climb rankings this summer, especially if he can continue the show he put on last week. He can throw 100 from the OF, high-90s off of the mound and has power (and a big frame). And the Twins love kids from Georgia.

    I guess that's an early look at a Top 10, eh?
    I was going to post a list of names and scouting reports for the 2014 draft today before I saw this. Like always Jeremy, beating me to the punch.

    For those of you would didn't watch any N.C. State games last year missed out on seeing IMO the most exciting player in college baseball in Trea Turner. True 80 grade speed, true short shot, bass a sound hitting approach, and from all accounts is a good kid. Definitely my favorite right now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    541
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I'll add another kid to Jeremy's High School hitters - Jacob Gatewood, another shortstop (although at 6'5" he could outgrow the position). He's got power, a good stroke and has shown leadership. He's been compared to Jeter, A-Roid, and Tulowitski. A pitcher might be nice, but I don't see Rodon going anything but #1. I'd rather go with Turner, Gordon, Gatewood or Jackson. It's a deep draft and the Twins will likely have another top 5 pick (which also means a high second rounder). One of those guys will be available as low as fifth (if not more).

  9. #9
    "Unless we have a precipitous fall soon"
    Now I know who to blame

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Didn't the Twins draft Burdi a couple years back, name sounds very familiar?

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Didn't the Twins draft Burdi a couple years back, name sounds very familiar?
    Yeah

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    With 3 months of the season left, we are reduced to talking about who we trade, and who we will draft in 11 months?
    While everyone on here is obviously a big time Twins fan, we wouldn't be wasting our time on a Twins site/forum, some of us prefer different aspects of fandom. I love going to games and following the big league club as much as the next fan but I also love college baseball, the minor league game, and the draft. To me talking about the Twins minor league players or who they might draft is just as fun as talking about any other aspect of the Twins.

    Actually, i currently prefer focusing on the minor league and draft aspect of the Twins because of the negativity surrounding the team. I rarely post, much less read, a lot of the things posted on the big league forum. I'm personally just tired of every thread get derailed into negative whining about why the Twins didn't sign X free agent, why they didn't spend X amount of money, or fire X person. I respect posters right to turn every thread into these whine posts but I rather be happy and focus on the future.

    Buxton for President!

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,685
    Like
    2,656
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm personally just tired of every thread get derailed into negative whining about why the Twins didn't sign X free agent, why they didn't spend X amount of money, or fire X person.
    For the reasons you cited, I was in the process of deleting the post in question while you were constructing your reply.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    877
    Like
    485
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    What's nice about these names is that they are all pitchers, shortstops (we think) or catchers for the most part. All areas of need.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    For the reasons you cited, I was in the process of deleting the post in question while you were constructing your reply.
    Haha, I'm glad I can keep things moving with not forcing you to use the delete button.

    Back on topic! For any one who really enjoys the draft and is interested in a few good sources for prospect info here are some links.

    Bigleaguefutures.net has the break down, some detailed write ups for the bigger names, for the college ranks. Here is a link to their reports:
    2014 Draft Profiles

    Right after the draft mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo released his top 10 prospects for next years draft with mini write ups.
    Scouts will be busy this summer looking at 2014 MLB Draft talent | MLB.com: News

    After the draft SI.com caught up with its lead draft analyst David Perkins and Perfect Games Allan Simpson and asked them to break down their top 5 prospects for next year.
    Early look at top five prospects for next year's MLB draft - MLB - Joe Lemire - SI.com

    And finally Scouts.com Kiley McDaniel has released his top college pitchers and hitter lists.
    Pitchers:
    Scout.com: 2014 MLB Draft Preview: College Pitchers
    Hitters:
    Scout.com: 2014 MLB Draft Preview: College Hitters

    While there is a ton of time till next years draft, a lot can/will happen, most of these names will still be the big names around draft day.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    What's nice about these names is that they are all pitchers, shortstops (we think) or catchers for the most part. All areas of need.
    You are exactly right. Not only is it an above average group of top tier prospects but they are all at needs for the Twins.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    601
    Like
    77
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Looking at the Wild-Card standings tonight, it looked like the Twins had a top 5 pick.

    Given the way they are playing, I think that is the area to scope out.

    Buxton, Stewart, ???

    Nice consolation prizes these.

  18. #18
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Add Tyler Kolek to the list. Another Texas prepster. Listen to this bio:

    Division 1 football recruit (defensive end).
    Mid- to high-90s fastball.
    2 other potential plus pitches: low-80s slider, mid-70s curve.

    Sound familiar?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    601
    Like
    77
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Add Tyler Kolek to the list. Another Texas prepster. Listen to this bio:

    Division 1 football recruit (defensive end).
    Mid- to high-90s fastball.
    2 other potential plus pitches: low-80s slider, mid-70s curve.

    Sound familiar?
    No kidding! (Must remind myself that having a great farm-system << winning major league club).

    I can't remember the Twins floating near the top of the draft so long. Hopefully the system will pay forward big time.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Add Tyler Kolek to the list. Another Texas prepster. Listen to this bio:

    Division 1 football recruit (defensive end).
    Mid- to high-90s fastball.
    2 other potential plus pitches: low-80s slider, mid-70s curve.

    Sound familiar?
    Haha, definitely sounds like a Stewartesk pick.

    The Twins drafted Eades last year so I bet they will, have, already scouted his former team mate and Friday night starter Aaron Nola.

    6'1" 190 lbs, RHP LSU
    89-94 fastball with movement and the chance to add a tick or two
    Power curve (already a swing/miss pitch) and a fading change up that has a chance to be a plus pitch.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.