Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Looking for a big, college, LHP sleeper top 10 guy who has 97? Kiley McDaniel's mentions Hartford's Sean Newcomb as this years Sean Manaea:

"The big name newcomer to the top of the list is Hartford lefty Sean Newcomb. Similar to Indiana State LHP Sean Manaea's rise last year, multiple sources have predicted Newcomb will have a coming-out party this summer with Team USA, with one scout saying he thinks Newcomb will go in the top 10 picks next June. Why are they so sure? The 6'5, 240 pound lefty hit 95 last summer in a very short stint on the Cape and has hit 97 this spring with comparisons to
    Jon Lester, if you're into that sort of thing. His upside is right there with Rodon and if he can show it with positive results over the summer, he could easily enter the spring as my top college pitcher, which is exactly what Manaea did before his current troubles."

Anyone have any video of these players? I can't find anything on Trae Turner. I've seen Rodon and he is the real deal. Either way, it would be nice to see videos.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This really has wheels already?! Wow. This is why I love TD. Good information and excited on a topic that is 11 months away. I am almost giddy with excitement for the next draft. I love keeping an eye on the farm just as much as watching the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The Twins can always use more front end pitching, but I really like the idea of an advanced college shortstop with some serious tools.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I can't remember the Twins floating near the top of the draft so long. Hopefully the system will pay forward big time.
    I was too young to really be paying attention to the draft at this point, but I certainly remember the drought of futility in the second half of the 90's. 7 top ten picks between 1994 and 2001, netting Cuddyer and of course Mauer (along with some ugly busts too). The current stretch isn't even half as long yet, and hopefully it ends pretty soon.

I actually have quite high hopes for 2014 (not World Series high but I think contending is certainly possible; going to need pitching help of course)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Anyone have any video of these players? I can't find anything on Trae Turner. I've seen Rodon and he is the real deal. Either way, it would be nice to see videos.
    The bigleaguefutures and Kiley McDaniel links I posted have videos.

Imagine (dream) about this lineup.

Buxton
    Crawford
    Mauer
    Sano
    Arcia
    Pluffe (DH)
    Hicks
    Pinto
    Rosario

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    The bigleaguefutures and Kiley McDaniel links I posted have videos.
    Thanks!!!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Imagine (dream) about this lineup.

Buxton
    Crawford
    Mauer
    Sano
    Arcia
    Pluffe (DH)
    Hicks
    Pinto
    Rosario
    You want an ESPN writer batting second?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Cindy Crawford batting second? I'll buy a ticket.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The last couple years the Twins have been way worse the 2nd half and they already have a worse record at this point than they did last year so they will probably have a worse record than last year. Right now we would have the 5th pick and are 1 game ahead of MIL and CHW, so if we are even worse in the 2nd half I could totally see us having the 3rd pick or maybe even 2nd if we are really bad.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    The last couple years the Twins have been way worse the 2nd half and they already have a worse record at this point than they did last year so they will probably have a worse record than last year. Right now we would have the 5th pick and are 1 game ahead of MIL and CHW, so if we are even worse in the 2nd half I could totally see us having the 3rd pick or maybe even 2nd if we are really bad.
    With multiple elite SS and front of the line pitching prospects I believe the Twins would sit pretty any where in the top (bottom) 5-7 spots.

Senior Member All-Star
    We aren't the only ones excited about next years draft. During BA's Jim Callis' weekly he chat he was asked this:

Will Trea Turner, be the number one pick next year because teams think he can play short?

Jim Callis: Should definitely be in the mix.

Senior Member All-Star
    A note from the All Star game from Jim Bowden:
    The star of the Home Run Derby was Yoenis Cespedes, but the guy who really opened eyes was Clovis (Calif.) High School shortstop Jacob Gatewood, who put on a show during a modified derby competition among high schoolers during commercial breaks. He is committed to USC but likely won't ever make it to campus, as he is among the early candidates to be the No. 1 overall pick next June.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    It's early on, but I'm happy to see that some of the BPA just happens to align with glaring need in this draft.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, several high end pitchers and short stops.... That would be a tough decision. Personally, I always side with pitchers, but given the org's inability to get a high ceiling SS in the draft taking one in the top 5 would be smart.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Where we at in the draft standings now?
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    8th as of the All Star break.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    If the season ended today we would have the 5th pick. 7 games behind the Lastros.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    If the season ended today we would have the 5th pick. 7 games behind the Lastros.
    How do you figure that? Houston, Miami, Milwaukee, White Sox, Mariners, Mets and Cubs all have a worse record than the Twins.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast