Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    How do you figure that? Houston, Miami, Milwaukee, White Sox, Mariners, Mets and Cubs all have a worse record than the Twins.
    HAHAHA, Earlier today I was looking at the standings on July 1 and forgot to refresh my page back to the 18th. My bad!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    How do you figure that? Houston, Miami, Milwaukee, White Sox, Mariners, Mets and Cubs all have a worse record than the Twins.
    ESPN has us 5th. Only behind Astros, Marlins, White Sox, and Brewers. Are they wrong?

2013 MLB Regular Season Standings - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    ESPN has us 5th. Only behind Astros, Marlins, White Sox, and Brewers. Are they wrong?

2013 MLB Regular Season Standings - Major League Baseball - ESPN
    No, I was looking at the standings from July 1st.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you people were real fans, you wouldn't be watching the (draft) standings, but instead be rooting for Twins victories.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    I'm joking. I got slammed the other day for expressing an interest in the Twins securing as high a draft pick as possible for 2014. I had no idea there was already a thread with three pages of comments devoted to next summer's draft.

In my opinion, this has been an entertaining season, watching the Twins accumulate more and more top minor league talent. I'm hoping for a Perkins trade and a high draft pick.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I'm joking. I got slammed the other day for expressing an interest in the Twins securing as high a draft pick as possible for 2014. I had no idea there was already a thread with three pages of comments devoted to next summer's draft.

In my opinion, this has been an entertaining season, watching the Twins accumulate more and more top minor league talent. I'm hoping for a Perkins trade and a high draft pick.
    okay.
    Make sure your write sarcasm or JK next time, otherwise it might come off as trolling.

If there is one thing Ryan is good at it is building a farm system. With the core pieces in place at 3rd, 2nd, C, all 3 outfield spots, Ryan only needs to collect supporting pieces to fill the other roles, and the Twins do have lots of other prospects at other spots already. Look for Ryan to target pitching in trades and go BPA again in the draft.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AM's post was flagged for moderator attention, but by the time I woke up this morning to look, it seems that you all have it sorted out. Still, as max said, it serves as a reminder that humorous sarcasm can be both a sharp instrument and an imprecise one. It seems AM was counting on others to remember past posts he has made, but this is often not a safe assumption.

Be kind in your posts, be kind in your responses to what seem like unkind posts from others, in particular don't try to correct others' behavior by clever subtext in threads, and the site will be better for it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Scout.com's Kiley McDaniels scouting report for Jacob Gatewood (some have compared him to Tulo):

"Gatewood announced himself on the national prospect scene at last August's Area Code Games, the premier west coast showcase. He put on a show in BP and in one of the games he hit a tape measure homer to center field that traveled an estimated 430 feet. This spring he reportedly hit 95 mph on the mound and had appeared to have added another dimension to his game, but Gatewood has said he has no interest in pitching beyond high school. He has plenty of tools as a position player though, as his overall package is reminiscent of two premium 2012 draft picks, high school shortstops
    Carlos Correa
    (#1 overall, Astros) and
    Addison Russell
    (#11 overall, Athletics). Gatewood has bloodlines, too, as his father Henry was a catcher that went 11th overall to the Dodgers in the 1982 MLB Draft"
    For anyone interested in the upcoming draft the full article is a must read. Link below:
    Scout.com: Scouting Report: Jacob Gatewood

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Scout.com's Kiley McDaniels scouting report for Jacob Gatewood (some have compared him to Tulo):

"Gatewood announced himself on the national prospect scene at last August's Area Code Games, the premier west coast showcase. He put on a show in BP and in one of the games he hit a tape measure homer to center field that traveled an estimated 430 feet. This spring he reportedly hit 95 mph on the mound and had appeared to have added another dimension to his game, but Gatewood has said he has no interest in pitching beyond high school. He has plenty of tools as a position player though, as his overall package is reminiscent of two premium 2012 draft picks, high school shortstops
    Carlos Correa
    (#1 overall, Astros) and
    Addison Russell
    (#11 overall, Athletics). Gatewood has bloodlines, too, as his father Henry was a catcher that went 11th overall to the Dodgers in the 1982 MLB Draft"
    For anyone interested in the upcoming draft the full article is a must read. Link below:
    Scout.com: Scouting Report: Jacob Gatewood
    The report you cited expressed that SS is probably not his final position and that his range was "not elite". If the Twins are committed to find a future SS, Greenwood likely isn't the proper choice. The report also claimed very considerable quality depth at pitcher. Though pitcher selection are riskier than SS, it does seem logical that the Twins should choose the best pitching prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    The report you cited expressed that SS is probably not his final position and that his range was "not elite". If the Twins are committed to find a future SS, Greenwood likely isn't the proper choice. The report also claimed very considerable quality depth at pitcher. Though pitcher selection are riskier than SS, it does seem logical that the Twins should choose the best pitching prospect.
    I didn't say McDaniels compares him to Tulo. I just said some experts do.

Just like the last two drafts the Twins should take the best player available when they draft. It has worked out well for us so far with Buxton. SS is just as big of a need as pitching. I would be happy with an elite prospect at either.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    AM's post was flagged for moderator attention, but by the time I woke up this morning to look, it seems that you all have it sorted out. Still, as max said, it serves as a reminder that humorous sarcasm can be both a sharp instrument and an imprecise one. It seems AM was counting on others to remember past posts he has made, but this is often not a safe assumption.

Be kind in your posts, be kind in your responses to what seem like unkind posts from others, in particular don't try to correct others' behavior by clever subtext in threads, and the site will be better for it.
    Thanks aj, for the time it must take to stay on top of the forums.

You are right that we should never assume. I specialize in misunderstood sarcastic posts.

My philosophy is that you can be a fan in whatever way you want...a fan of grit, getaftericism, a fan of every single victory, a fan of the player with the most RBIs or Wins or WAR or lowest xFIP, or a fan of the fewest wins in 2013 as possible so the Twins might get Trea Turner or Carlos Rodon so that the Twins might win in 2015 or 2016.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    The Twins shouldn't commit to finding a SS of the future. They should commit to finding a future stud with a possible top 5 pick. I don't care what position they play.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Thanks aj, for the time it must take to stay on top of the forums.

You are right that we should never assume. I specialize in misunderstood sarcastic posts.

My philosophy is that you can be a fan in whatever way you want...a fan of grit, getaftericism, a fan of every single victory, a fan of the player with the most RBIs or Wins or WAR or lowest xFIP, or a fan of the fewest wins in 2013 as possible so the Twins might get Trea Turner or Carlos Rodon so that the Twins might win in 2015 or 2016.
    You missed the memo... Wins, losses, saves, and RBIs are NOT allowed.

Senior Member All-Star
    USA baseball finished the sweep of Cuba yesterday at the hands of potential 2014 #1 pick Carlos Rodon. The left hander started the game in the 90-93 range but by the 3rd inning was consistently sitting in the 93-95 range. The stadium gun had him hitting 96 a few time. His slider was, well, here is a quote from Keith Law about it:

"That was merely the appetizer to Rodon's main course, one of the best sliders I've ever seen from an amateur, 84-88 with power and bite, at both sides of the plate, to right- and left-handed hitters. It's so obscene the FCC might not allow basic cable channels to show it before 11 p.m.
    With that pitch, and the fastball to set it up, he could have gone once through a major league lineup on Tuesday night and wouldn't have looked the least bit out of place."

His change up was noted as an average pitch at best that flashed above average a few times. T
    eam USA's coach compared Rodon to another lefty he couched that went #1 in the draft a few years ago:

“I had David Price in 2006 (with Team USA), and David and Carlos have some similarities,” Schlossnagle said. “The bodies are different, but both guys were really fastball-slider guys. David had maybe a little bit better fastball command at a similar stage (of development), but he didn’t have that overhand power breaking ball like Carlos has. And tonight Carlos’ changeup was better than what David threw at that time. (Mississippi coach) Mike Bianco and Carlos have worked on that this summer and you saw tonight, Carlos really threw some nice changeups.”

While Rodon has stolen the show Keith Law notes former first round pick Tyler Beede has shown god stuff but isn't in the same class as Rodon.

"On the mound, Vanderbilt righty
    Tyler Beede showed good stuff, working at 91-95 and throwing five different pitches, including a few above-average changeups. However, his delivery was all over the place, especially his timing. It would be generous to give him grade-40 command off his outing Monday night. Beede was a first-round pick out of high school by the Blue Jays but did not sign and will probably be a first-rounder again, but he's not in the top tier with Rodon or Cape Cod League sensation Jeff Hoffman from East Carolina."

Keith also notes that Rodon's N.C. State team mate Trea Turner has been dealing with an ankle injury this summer. Law doesn't feel he is a first round pick unless he can get healthy and prove to teams he has an 80 grade speed tool.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/carlos-rodon-caps-usa-baseball-sweep-of-cuba/

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1083

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Keith also notes that Rodon's N.C. State team mate Trea Turner has been dealing with an ankle injury this summer. Law doesn't feel he is a first round pick unless he can get healthy and prove to teams he has an 80 grade speed tool.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/carlos-rodon-caps-usa-baseball-sweep-of-cuba/

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1083

I think Law underestimates the deficencies teams are willing to overlook when it comes to drafting SS. There have been some pretty questionable guys picked high lately who had much more serious question marks when it comes to the bat.

So many exciting guys. Last year at this time, talk seemed to be of Appel, Manaea, Stanek, Meadows and Frazier. All stayed as first round picks, it will be interesting to see how these guys pan out next spring.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think Law underestimates the deficencies teams are willing to overlook when it comes to drafting SS. There have been some pretty questionable guys picked high lately who had much more serious question marks when it comes to the bat.

So many exciting guys. Last year at this time, talk seemed to be of Appel, Manaea, Stanek, Meadows and Frazier. All stayed as first round picks, it will be interesting to see how these guys pan out next spring.
    Turner is a personal favorite so I agree that Law is overlooking him a little.

Also, I definitely agree that there are a ton of exciting guys. BA released an article today with some scouting reports from the 2013 tournament of stars (a high school show case) and it had this interesting bit about this pitching this year vs last year:

"This year’s crop was better, with pitching as the strength. The top fastball velocity recorded at last year’s event was 93 mph, by two players. This year, nine players hit 93 mph, and three hit 95 or better, led by No.1 prospect Tyler Kolek, who hit 97."

This is a darn good group of players. While some may fall down boards others will rise. Most of the elite prospects now should be the elite prospects draft day. To read all 35 reports on the players at this years tournament of stars, anyone who follows the draft should, here is the link to the article:

Tyler Kolek Leads Tournament Of Stars Standouts - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member All-Star
    From Keith Law's chat today:

Keith, given your knowledge of trea turner and alex bregman, do you think either have a chance to stick at short? Seems like bregman is a little cleaner in his actions and turner might be better suited for cf with his speed?

Klaw (1:07 PM)

I don't think either stays there, based on what I've seen. Bregman has better actions but not enough range. Turner has the quickness but not the actions or feel.

what range would Rodon rank in your updated mid-season top 50 prospects?
    Klaw (1:07 PM)

Top 10.

Where do you anticipate Jeff Hoffman going in next year's draft and where would he currently rank in your top 50?
    Klaw (1:50 PM)

Top ten pick, based on what he's done on the Cape in five starts. Hearing 92-97 with plus CB, below CH. Also heard he wasn't very good this spring at all, so it's fairly speculative until he shows he can do this for at least a full college season. He's not in Rodon's class, IMO, but sounds like he's better than Tyler Beede.

Senior Member All-Star
    Kiley McDaniel released his current top 30 HS draft prospect list today for free. Good read with a lot of inside information.

Scout.com: Top 30 High School Prospects For 2014 Draft

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    I was able to see a number of these players against Cuba. Turner played shortstop and batted leadoff. His speed was impressive. Did not appear to have much power as Cuba's outfielders were very shallow and he never reached them. The best player I saw that night was Brandon Finnegan from TCU. Fastball between 94-97 for all seven innings that he threw to go with an offspeed pitch in high 70's, slider 83-85 range. Did not look to be 6 foot tall but you don't see a lot of left handers that regularly throw that hard with good control. Looking forward to following him and see if he was a one night wonder.

Senior Member All-Star
    Matt Garrioch at minorleagueball released his early 2014 draft list. Here is the link:

Extremely Early 2014 MLB Draft Rankings - Minor League Ball

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast