Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    The International market is where SSs are found. The "high-ceiling" American teens are way too likely to eat their way out of SS.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Great thread guys. Thanks for all the info. I too am hoping starting pitcher or SS. I admit a bias for pitching, since I am not quite as high on some of their current guys as some of you are. BTW, while I generally want the Twins to be more aggressive, I liked the Wimmers pick, given that he was described as like Baker. That is a good pick in the 20s, IMO.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    You lose all hindsight credibility if you think there was non-zero chance of the Twins taking Lee. Other teams wanted Wimmers and he would have been taken in the first rd.

Sickels considered it a good pick as did most at the time. It was boring that but that doesn't mean it was a bad pick.

2010 MLB Draft Grades, Part 2: Cubs, Yankees, Mets Get Day One Thumbs Down - SBNation.com
    Yeah, the chances the Twins would have taken any of the high school arms were zero, they were not willing to take HS arms at the time. That doesn't mean many, or perhaps even most Twins fans weren't still championing the cause. You don't really think every one of those teams that picked their top 100 HS arm really would have picked Wimmers over their high upside stud?

So many people were predicting him to go to the Twins and many even said it was a good pick, but nearly everyone said he was also a back end of the rotation arm. Many people who said it was a good pick were saying it was because he fit into the "Twins mold," meaning low velocity, low ceiling. Sure he would have been taken in the first round, but 20 other team passed up the "sure thing" why was that?

I don't remember any local reactions to the pick more positive than blase.

Round One: Minnesota Twins Select Alex Wimmers - Twinkie Town

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By muddling along at about 500 for the past few weeks (15-13 since the ASG), the Twins have fallen from a strong fourth in the standings for the upcoming draft to their current spot in 10th place. Teams like the Angels, Phillies and Giants have passed them by, with the Mets, Mariners and Blue Jays lurking within a couple of games. If the Twins aren't careful, they could wind up with the 14th pick in next years draft.

Which, in view, would be a terrible outcome for this lost season. This draft looks big--and I don't think I need to convince people that there is a big difference between drafting top 5 and top 15.
    Last edited by AM.; 08-17-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Add detail

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    By muddling along at about 500 for the past few weeks (15-13 since the ASG), the Twins have fallen from a strong fourth in the standings for the upcoming draft to their current spot in 10th place. Teams like the Angels, Phillies and Giants have passed them by, with the Mets, Mariners and Blue Jays lurking within a couple of games. If the Twins aren't careful, they could wind up with the 14th pick in next years draft.

Which, in view, would be a terrible outcome for this lost season. This draft looks big--and I don't think I need to convince people that there is a big difference between drafting top 5 and top 15.
    Is Deduno's arm is dead? How close is Gibson's pitch limit? Is Albers is a mirage? All too soon it will be live auditions for next year's starting rotation as the various members of the Rochester Red Wings staff will get another chance to prove that is where they belong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Then again they could come up and pitch to their maximum potential as they might be up long enough to get the paycheck and see the difference in pay. Rather than the pittance of minor league pay they will see their major league salary and be inspired. Making the most money is the reason people do things I have been told. Then they will get the 15th pick

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Is Deduno's arm is dead? How close is Gibson's pitch limit? Is Albers is a mirage? All too soon it will be live auditions for next year's starting rotation as the various members of the Rochester Red Wings staff will get another chance to prove that is where they belong.
    Also moving the suddenly reliable Morneau could help/tank the scenario.

The Twins are only two games up on having the 14th pick, but also only two games up on the 4th seed. MLB has never had the issues of teams tanking like they do in the NBA, but if the "race" is this close come the last week or two of the season, people may have some questions. The arguement that teams may be tanking the last week of the season is also going to have some creedence due to the increased reliance on the draft and the draft slotting process keeping prices lower for top picks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Also moving the suddenly reliable Morneau could help/tank the scenario.

The Twins are only two games up on having the 14th pick, but also only two games up on the 4th seed. MLB has never had the issues of teams tanking like they do in the NBA, but if the "race" is this close come the last week or two of the season, people may have some questions. The arguement that teams may be tanking the last week of the season is also going to have some creedence due to the increased reliance on the draft and the draft slotting process keeping prices lower for top picks.
    I'm guessing come September Morneau will be sitting most of the time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    For those draft followers I found this list on the top 50 draft prospects for 2014. While I don't know who wrote it most of the information seems accurate. Good read for people trying to figure out the main names to watch for:

2014 MLB draft: Top 50 prospects | Sports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345