Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: A doomed thread on soccer:

  1. #1

    A doomed thread on soccer:

    Let's see how well this goes over.

    Anyone want to talk about soccer? (What with the confederations cup going on now...plus the World Cup a year away...plus the Wilf's seeking an MLS team)

    ...

    anyone...?

    I'm just going to keep watching the confederations cup...we'll see if anyone joins me...ever.
    Peanuts From Heaven

  2. #2
    Anybody...thoughts on Tahiti finally going home? The stupid irrelevancy of added time in a 3-0 match where both teams are just running passing drills? Neymar's goofy haircut or Fernando Torres abundance of tattoos?

    Anybody?
    Peanuts From Heaven

  3. #3
    PeanutsFromHeaven, I'll participate, but we have to talk about Minnesota United FC and not just the Confederations Cup.

  4. #4
    I've been meaning to get into Minnesota United, but never find the time...I'll take any reason to get back into club soccer.
    Peanuts From Heaven

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    397
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've never gotten into the United FC. I mostly just watch the US team in international play. If we get a MLS team though I would definatly be into that.
    I bent my wookie...

  6. #6
    No sense in waiting - now's the time. Here's my real quick United primer:

    What league are they in? They're in the North American Soccer League (NASL), the second tier of pro soccer in America. If the name sounds familiar, it's because the NASL existed from the late 60s to the mid-80s, most famously in New York with the New York Cosmos, who had PelŤ on the team. (The Cosmos have re-formed for the second half of this year's season.)

    The second half? This year, the NASL split the season into a spring season and a fall season. The spring season is almost over; the final game is July 4. The fall season begins August 3, and runs through the end of October. The winners of each half play for the league title.

    How's Minnesota doing? They've hovered around contention for the league lead all season, but a painful loss to Carolina last Saturday - they were up 2-1, but allowed goals in the 86th and 88th minute and lost 3-2 - has their spring title hopes on life support.

    In terms of talent, though, United is pretty packed; they signed both of the past two league MVPs, strikers Pablo Campos and Etienne Barbara, before the season. They've been beset by injuries - Barbara in particular has missed much of the year - but they're getting healthy, and should be more ready for the fall season.

    And the games... Are in Blaine, at the National Sports Center. The fan base is rabid, but also very friendly to newcomers.

    But nobody covers the games! Well, you're wrong.

    That was pretty shameless.
    Yeah, sorry about that.

  7. #7
    Ah, shameless-wameless Jon. I love soccer, and can easily afford $12 to see some live rather than waiting for ESPN to decide whether or not it's worth their time.

    Meanwhile, if Gernzy or others want more examples of my snark on the national team level...there's this.

    Now THAT was shameless..
    Peanuts From Heaven

  8. #8
    Sadly, this has been hard to keep up with in the summer and then the fall--while we wait for MUFC to get back in action (and while we ponder the slim/nil chances of a Minnesota MLS team) there is the world cup draw today.

    I'm hosting a live chat when the draw shenanigans start at 11 AM Central Time for all Twins fans/soccer nerds who'd like to join in. http://montanansforsoccer.blogspot.c...-cup-draw.html
    Peanuts From Heaven

  9. #9
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,932
    Like
    472
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Liverpool! Liverpool! Liverpool! Liiiivverrpooool!!!

    How 'bout that Suarez huh?

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,042
    Like
    1,177
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I love watching English Prem action Saturday Mornings.

    Been doing it for years. The team I started following fell off a Cliff and has been Regulated down to League Two.

    Portsmouth... Go Pompey!!! Ugh...that hurts.

    I've yet to find a Prem team to replace them yet. I'm trying to become a Swansea fan but it's happening too slow.

    I know I don't want to get behind the big money clubs like Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham.

    Maybe Fulham or West Ham could be my team if Swansea isn't going to take hold... I don't know its so hard. I need Portsmouth back up... I'm lost and have been for a couple of years since the Portsmouth collapse.
    "9. Lipstick"

    "How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

    "I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

  11. #11
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,932
    Like
    472
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I love watching English Prem action Saturday Mornings.

    Been doing it for years. The team I started following fell off a Cliff and has been Regulated down to League Two.

    Portsmouth... Go Pompey!!! Ugh...that hurts.

    I've yet to find a Prem team to replace them yet. I'm trying to become a Swansea fan but it's happening too slow.

    I know I don't want to get behind the big money clubs like Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham.
    Maybe Fulham or West Ham could be my team if Swansea isn't going to take hold... I don't know its so hard. I need Portsmouth back up... I'm lost and have been for a couple of years since the Portsmouth collapse.

    Father is from Liverpool so nothing to do with being a "big money" club. Actually I'm more of a "blue nose" (Everton).....the other Liverpool team. Their win last week against Man U was as sweet as it gets, first win at Old Trafford in 21 years!!

  12. #12
    Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    3,362
    Like
    711
    Liked 793 Times in 493 Posts
    My colleague at work is a big Manchester fan. He refuses to acknowledge anyone in conversation who refers to football as soccer. And further, insists you say 'American football' for any NFL talk and always pretends to not understand the conversation until that clarification is made. Anyway ... that's about the extent of my soccer/football interest, other than my niece making the freshman team at school. I could be converted, though. Maybe.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,932
    Like
    472
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    My colleague at work is a big Manchester fan. He refuses to acknowledge anyone in conversation who refers to football as soccer. And further, insists you say 'American football' for any NFL talk and always pretends to not understand the conversation until that clarification is made. Anyway ... that's about the extent of my soccer/football interest, other than my niece making the freshman team at school. I could be converted, though. Maybe.
    Yah, that sounds like a Man U supporter.

    If you ever talk to him about footy, call them Man U, they hate it lol!

  14. #14
    Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    3,362
    Like
    711
    Liked 793 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yah, that sounds like a Man U supporter.

    If you ever talk to him about footy, call them Man U, they hate it lol!
    Ooou ... thanks! I'm going to do just that! hehehe ... and I have another colleague, with another orchestra, who is a Liverpool supporter; if he doesn't know that, I'll certainly tip him off as the two of them certainly try to give each other digs!
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

  15. #15
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,932
    Like
    472
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Ooou ... thanks! I'm going to do just that! hehehe ... and I have another colleague, with another orchestra, who is a Liverpool supporter; if he doesn't know that, I'll certainly tip him off as the two of them certainly try to give each other digs!
    Hehe, well I should let you know the origins of calling them Man U are pretty sinister, if your Liverpool colleague is a true Liverpool fan he'll know where it comes from.

    It's a reference to the 58 Munich plane disaster that killed the entire team.......so only use it if you really, really don't like this fellow much.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    3,362
    Like
    711
    Liked 793 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Hehe, well I should let you know the origins of calling them Man U are pretty sinister, if your Liverpool colleague is a true Liverpool fan he'll know where it comes from.

    It's a reference to the 58 Munich plane disaster that killed the entire team.......so only use it if you really, really don't like this fellow much.
    Ack!!! That's awful! Lol ... I'm glad you tipped me off otherwise I would have stepped in it but good!
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

  17. #17
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,042
    Like
    1,177
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Ack!!! That's awful! Lol ... I'm glad you tipped me off otherwise I would have stepped in it but good!
    I call them Man U... It's for determining what side of the fence you are on. I want them to lose. They are the Yankees of England.
    "9. Lipstick"

    "How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

    "I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

  18. #18
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,042
    Like
    1,177
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Father is from Liverpool so nothing to do with being a "big money" club. Actually I'm more of a "blue nose" (Everton).....the other Liverpool team. Their win last week against Man U was as sweet as it gets, first win at Old Trafford in 21 years!!
    Your dad is from Liverpool... So Ferry across the Mersey all the way to Manitoba. Is your dad named Ringo?

    I'm an underdog first guy and I tend to be Blue and not Red. So yeah I could get behind Everton. I was raised Protestant but married Catholic so I got enough Catholic in me to be Everton.

    Although... I made an Arbitrary decision to be Southern England. Southern England just looks warmer and I'm doing the North thing living in North Dakota. So... Nothing north of Cambridge for me.

    Also no Stripes... I can't get behind a striped team. And no Big Money.

    That at kinda leaves me with Swansea or West Ham. I haven't been able to watch Swansea yet so it's hard to get behind them but I'm trying.

    I'm in limbo and it sucks.
    "9. Lipstick"

    "How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

    "I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

  19. #19
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,932
    Like
    472
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I call them Man U... It's for determining what side of the fence you are on. I want them to lose. They are the Yankees of England.
    They are the Yankees of the EPL, but the phrase is not about which side of the fence you're on. The funny part is all the bandwagon United fans use the phrase themselves when referring to their team, because they have no clue.


    ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again"

    and..

    "Man U Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

  20. #20
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,042
    Like
    1,177
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    They are the Yankees of the EPL, but the phrase is not about which side of the fence you're on. The funny part is all the bandwagon United fans use the phrase themselves when referring to their team, because they have no clue.


    ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again"

    and..

    "Man U Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").
    Yeah but If a Man U fan shouts Go Man U near other Man U fans.

    Someone will correct them with something across the skull. Seemingly... The English Football fan doesn't mess around much.
    "9. Lipstick"

    "How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

    "I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.