Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins' prospect Alex Meyer's return date still unknown

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins' prospect Alex Meyer's return date still unknown

The return of pitching prospect Alex Meyer, the bounty received in the Denard Span trade this past offseason, is still an unknown.According to Twins assistant GM Rob Antony, Meyer will likely return to the mound in the "next week or two" tweets the Pioneer Press's Mike Berardino.

Meyer, who had a 3-3 record with a 3.69 ERA and a decent 71-to-27 strikeout-to-walk ratio over 61 innings in New Britain, has not thrown a pitch since June 1. The Twins had Meyer undergo a precautionary MRI on his shoulder which reveal nothing of significance.

The Twins are understandably overcautious with this top pitching prospect. GM Terry Ryan said that they will be "very conservative" in their approach to bringing Meyer back around to avoid any setbacks in his development. At the same time, with just over two months remaining in the Eastern League season, the Twins would like to get Meyer above the 129 inning-mark he threw a year ago.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was just wondering about that... Glad to know it's caution and not setbacks...

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    A one or two week return seems far better than unknown to me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ambiguity + Twins Medical Staff = Disaster

I am worried

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Ambiguity + Twins Medical Staff = Disaster

I am worried
    +1. the lack of anything showing up on the mri would be more comforting if we knew for sure that our medical staff knew how to read one.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That sounds good to me. He's only missed 3 weeks yet only has 61 IP? He has only gone over 6 innings twice in 11 starts. Just seems crazy to me. A month to let his shoulder heal a little should be alright, I'd be sending that MRI to different places and get some different opinions on it though.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    This is why you can never have too many pitchers in your org......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    If he comes back healthy and still needs innings, I imagine they'll send him to the AFL. I'm ok with a cautious approach in bringing him back.

This is getting kind of scary now huh?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    No need to worry, he is the very able hands of the Twins medical staff.
    Papers...business papers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Scary? He is still a few months from learning he actually needs surgery. No need to be scared yet; we are still in the rest + rehab phase.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think Meyer will be fine (maybe I'm overly optimistic), but no matter how cautious you are (look at Dylan Bundy and the Orioles), there's very little you can do to ensure the health of young pitchers.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Hates Tommy John i.e

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I still think Meyer will be fine (maybe I'm overly optimistic), but no matter how cautious you are (look at Dylan Bundy and the Orioles), there's very little you can do to ensure the health of young pitchers.
    So true. I didn't want Stewart because I thought it was too high to take a pitcher. Ryan likes pitchers with 1-2+ years of pro experience and I think that may help, but no one is immune.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    So true. I didn't want Stewart because I thought it was too high to take a pitcher. Ryan likes pitchers with 1-2+ years of pro experience and I think that may help, but no one is immune.
    Too high? Where do you think elite pitchers come from? College is harder on arms than professional baseball by far. Plus, you get to clean up mechanics before they begin to do serious damage.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Too high? Where do you think elite pitchers come from? College is harder on arms than professional baseball by far. Plus, you get to clean up mechanics before they begin to do serious damage.
    IMHO I would not take a pitcher with a top five pick. I believe the Twins will have only 3 shots for the gold, and I would be more comfortable taking position players. Once again, this is only my opinion. By the way, I wanted the college catcher over Buxton, so I try to keep a low profile on draft matters.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK, here's my take. While pitching is infinitely riskier than picking position players, the payoff for getting an ace (Verlander, Strassberg, Clemens) is worth the risk. The Twins look like they will have an excellent crop of young positions players in the next 2-3 years. If they don't get much improved pitching, they still are a long way from contending.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    OK, here's my take. While pitching is infinitely riskier than picking position players, the payoff for getting an ace (Verlander, Strassberg, Clemens) is worth the risk. The Twins look like they will have an excellent crop of young positions players in the next 2-3 years. If they don't get much improved pitching, they still are a long way from contending.
    This. The position players coming through the system make this as exciting a time in expectation of the "turn" as 2000-02 and 1984-86. But even if the Twins get above median performance from 100% of their position players (including filling the gaping hole at SS), pitching is still 70% of the game. So until the starting pitching staff looks more like the Pirates, Tigers, Braves, hec, even the Marlins, who are ranked 11th overall in SP ERA, there is no reason to throw around any guarantees that "the turn" (ie, assured contention status) is right around the corner. To their credit, the Twins have recognized this glaring hole in the long-term plan, now they need to redouble their efforts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I think people need to realize that TJ is a bump in the road and not a death sentence.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think people need to realize that TJ is a bump in the road and not a death sentence.
    I would say the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer had shoulder problems, TJ is not the issue here...

That said, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he's throwing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast