Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins' prospect Alex Meyer's return date still unknown

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    I have also heard he was on a throwing program.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    Confirmed on Twitter. I hope they are just being extra cautious.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Confirmed on Twitter. I hope they are just being extra cautious.
    On this one, double-secret, extra-cautious works for me.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    Lets hope, we've had enough of these things mismanaged to have reason to be worried. A major surgery to Meyer may effect our timeline to contend more than people think.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Lets hope, we've had enough of these things mismanaged to have reason to be worried. A major surgery to Meyer may effect our timeline to contend more than people think.
    The parade won't stop due to one starting pitching prospect. Effecting our timeline is reserved for Buxton and Sano.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    On this one, double-secret, extra-cautious works for me.
    Yeah, I really want to make a joke about the Twins and being cautious, but I can't do it here. At least not unless we later hear his sore shoulder was due to getting a new tattoo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The parade won't stop due to one starting pitching prospect. Effecting our timeline is reserved for Buxton and Sano.
    You don't need ace quality pitchers to win the WS?

I would say our highest ranked, highest level pitching prospect is going to be critical. Mostly because he is just about the only pitcher likely to impact next year.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

The Big Picture

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I would say our highest ranked, highest level pitching prospect is going to be critical. Mostly because he is just about the only pitcher likely to impact next year.
    To get to where we want to go, we need 10-12 top starting pitching prospects. We have somewhere around 7 or 8. The Twins have a tremendous margin for error having Buxton and Sano. What happens to Meyer is an inconvenience, nothing more.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To get to where we want to go, we need 10-12 top starting pitching prospects. We have somewhere around 7 or 8. The Twins have a tremendous margin for error having Buxton and Sano. What happens to Meyer is an inconvenience, nothing more.
    Terry Ryan said to get true quality pitching prospects at a reasonable rate of return, you have to reach down to "A" level minor league ball, but then it's still pretty costly when you pull the trigger. OK, since you say we only need 3-5 more "top starting pitching prospects" to overcome any of these "nothing more" than "inconveniences", where are the 3-5 more Denard Span's to get those deals done?

MEyer is one of the few in-house options this team has to bolster its rotation with upper level talent. if this injury becomes serious it is a major, major problem for this teams timetable. Meyer's talent as a pitcher is critical for this team.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 07-13-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to disagree here. We need Meyer and May to be healthy AND effective to turn this around. This is not a beer league softball league where you can outslug your opponents every day and win. A pitcher is the most important element of any baseball game. We NEED Meyer to be healthy. Period. I have to admit that it's nice to look at what we have in Meyer, May, Darnell, and Gibson and see four guys that could all be 3 or better type players, but reality says that some won't succeed, and if some get hurt on top of that, we are back to the DeVries, Walters, and Correias.

I think the best way to say it is that Buxton and Sano are the most exciting prospects, but Meyer may be the most important. At least he is right now until Berrios, or Stewart, or even May show they are closer to ML ready.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    From Pioneer Press, "Right-handed pitching prospect Alex Meyer, sidelined since June 1 with a sore shoulder, is scheduled to start a throwing program July 16 and could resume pitching for Double-A New Britain in early August, Antony said."

Surgeon, sharpen thy knife....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Dave St. Peter said something on Talking Twins on AM1500 that bugged me about this:

The plan right now is to throw in the next couple of days and hopefully be back in games on Aug 1. A couple of MRI's that it is not structural which is good. It goes down to young pitcher needing to understand maintenance on his arm which is not uncommon to power pitchers.
    Inside Twins with Phil Mackey - Audio - 1500 ESPN - Twin Citie

How did he pitch in 25 games last year with 129 innings and not have that come up last year with the Nationals but with half of that workload he is suddenly on the shelf for 2 months?

Senior Member All-Star
    Yeah I too don't like the last sentance of that quote, "It goes down to young pitcher needing to understand maintenance on his arm which is not uncommon to power pitchers."

In all seriousness, do the Twins, their training staff and coaches understand the mainenance for the arm of a young power pitcher? They have very little experience with them, particularly when a starter is concerned.

This makes it seem like Meyer was doing (or not doing) something against the Twins wishes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yeah I too don't like the last sentance of that quote, "It goes down to young pitcher needing to understand maintenance on his arm which is not uncommon to power pitchers."

In all seriousness, do the Twins, their training staff and coaches understand the mainenance for the arm of a young power pitcher? They have very little experience with them, particularly when a starter is concerned.

This makes it seem like Meyer was doing (or not doing) something against the Twins wishes.
    That is a very intriguing question. For those prospect hounds out there, how many starting power pitcher prospects have their been in the last 5 years or so in our minor league system?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12