Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official sano HR thread

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano.jpg
    Sano-ara
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

dude's a stud!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    My favorite small sample size stats of all time:

Miguel Sano has had 7 plate appearances this year with runners in scoring position. He has 2 walks and 4 hits (1 3B and 3 HR) with 10 RBI; which results in an OPS of 3.857 (.800/.857/3.000)!!!
    Last edited by TRex; 04-11-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: goofed up stats

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Small sample size part II:

I guess even more telling than his prowess with runners in scoring position (presumably meaning pitchers actually have to go after him), Sano is 0 for 8 with the bases empty. To maximize his potential, he is going to have to become very disciplined (as many others have already suggested).

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinstein View Post
    Sano.jpg
    Sano-ara
    The 1st one is an image I took,i am in kanecounty right now and will be posting pictures when I get back later tonight when I jave axxess to my computer
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watching him play in Spring Training, it wasn't that hard to notice that pitchers didn't want much to do with him. Saw him take a few walks where not a single decent pitch to swing at was thrown, but this also seemed to be causing him to force it as he also took a couple horrendous swings on a few of those pitches because he obviously wants to hit.

Seems to fit with the whole batting well when pitchers have to throw to him vs. not doing much when they're trying to avoid him. He is taking some walks early on though too, so that's a good sign.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

#4 on the board today. What a beast.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DFC View Post
    #4 on the board today. What a beast.
    Awws you best me to it.. If I wasn't lay flying out of town...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BOOM! Number 5 today... And they just keep on coming!

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    BOOM! Number 5 today... And they just keep on coming!
    I gotta see this kid play. He had like 20 in under 300 at bats last year right? He's like 19 right?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #5 thru 10 games is impressive i'm a little concerned about the relatively HIGH K % or K rate.

But the More walks drawn (compared to last year) IS DEFINATELY an encouraging sign.

#1 prospect on the Twins and top 25 in all of baseball no doubt.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Sano - homers on Sunday the 15th and Tuesday the 17th. That's 5 homers, 1 triple and 14 RBI's in 12 games. Average @ .256, but OPB @ .408, OPS 1.100

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Sano - homers on Sunday the 15th and Tuesday the 17th. That's 5 homers, 1 triple and 14 RBI's in 12 games. Average @ .256, but OPB @ .408, OPS 1.100
    I agree, I am more focused on OBP than batting average.

I guy like Sano is going to strikout a lot, but 14 strikouts in 49 PA is still higher than what I was hoping for. His slugging percentage and OBP is higher than I was expecting so overall I am really excited about Sano.

It appears Pitchers in low A don't really want to throw to Sano. I'm hoping the Twins move him up before too long so he can face some pitchers that are probably not as intimidated. He has the talent to move fast, and I think he'll get better as he faces better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    I agree, I am more focused on OBP than batting average.

I guy like Sano is going to strikout a lot, but 14 strikouts in 49 PA is still higher than what I was hoping for. His slugging percentage and OBP is higher than I was expecting so overall I am really excited about Sano.
    Yep, you absolutely have to love Sano's improved eye at the plate. He's already drawn nearly half as many walks as he drew in his 66 game season last year.

I've heard that he has a little bit of Pedro Cerrano disease in that he's mashing every fastball he sees but struggles with the curve. However, given the hand-eye coordination it'd have to take to basically hit a homer every other game in a league that he's 3 years young for, I'm not too worried.

Anyone with for in-depth and/or insider information have any more information on his approach with breaking balls? I've also heard his defense has been stellar at third? Any additional info here?

Hopefully, he can close the season with a strong showing at Fort Myers, spend 2013 at New Britain and force a Fall call-up.

He will be in AA after all star break. Start next year in AAA and be ready for big leagues by July!! I know the twins won't allow that to happen but I would love to see it!!

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd really like to see the Twins do some fastracking with Sano ala the players he gets compared to, like Miguel Cabrera and Hanley Ramirez. He's already showing more power than either of them did in their MiLB career at the same ages (a lot more, actually), and his average has been better than Cabrera's and pretty much the same as Ramirez's. Cabrera debuted and stuck at age 20, Hanley debuted at 21 and stuck the next season. Neither played at AAA. I think he sticks in the Midwest League this whole season as there's much more to his game that he needs to work on, but next year it's not out of the question he spends time at AA, then in 2014 challenges for a MLB callup/debut before he turns 21.

THE DFC - He's by no means "stellar" at 3B at this point, Big-time arm, but not very good fielder, yet. People say the skill and drive to improve is absolutely there, but he's still just so young (still 18 for another month). Everyone is saying Luke Hughes got DFA'd because he's a bad defender. Well, he owns a .989 career fielding % in the MLB (.953 at 3B), and Sano right now has a career .892 fielding % in the MiLB (is at .960 at 3B so far this year). For another comparison, Danny Valencia has a career .959 fielding % at 3B in the MLB, so take those for what you will.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I'd really like to see the Twins do some fastracking with Sano ala the players he gets compared to, like Miguel Cabrera and Hanley Ramirez. He's already showing more power than either of them did in their MiLB career at the same ages (a lot more, actually), and his average has been better than Cabrera's and pretty much the same as Ramirez's. Cabrera debuted and stuck at age 20, Hanley debuted at 21 and stuck the next season. Neither played at AAA. I think he sticks in the Midwest League this whole season as there's much more to his game that he needs to work on, but next year it's not out of the question he spends time at AA, then in 2014 challenges for a MLB callup/debut before he turns 21.

THE DFC - He's by no means "stellar" at 3B at this point, Big-time arm, but not very good fielder, yet. People say the skill and drive to improve is absolutely there, but he's still just so young (still 18 for another month). Everyone is saying Luke Hughes got DFA'd because he's a bad defender. Well, he owns a .989 career fielding % in the MLB (.953 at 3B), and Sano right now has a career .892 fielding % in the MiLB (is at .960 at 3B so far this year). For another comparison, Danny Valencia has a career .959 fielding % at 3B in the MLB, so take those for what you will.
    I could see him on the Mauer-path. Spend this year in A ball, start next year at A+ with midseason promotion to AA. Debut in the majors at 21. The Twins take some shots for being slow with prospects but looking at their elite prospects - Mauer, Morneau, Kubel, Liriano - all were in the bigs by 22. It's the Plouffe's and Valencia's that don't debut until 25.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #6 tonight... Just another day in the office

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Huge OPS so far. I would like to see him sustain 900+ for over 250 plate appearances before moving him to Fort Myers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast